stream dvd content from WHS to xbox360 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been researching ways of streaming dvd content from WHS to xbox360 and I thought I came up with an elegant solution which involves:
    1. Ensure you own the DVD you plan on streaming (no pirating thank you)
    2. Use DVD Decrypter to make a legal backup and ensure file splitting is set to "NONE"
    3. Backup the contents to a folder of your choosing (\\server\videos for example)
    4. DVD Decrypter will create .IFO and .BUP files - these should be deleted
    5. Rename the single .VOB to .MPG (since DVD content is MPEG2)
    6. Enjoy

However, this assumes you use Media Center to stream the content to your 360 and since it appears to me that the 360 won't connect to WHS using the Media Center function I'm at a loss.

I did as described and used the new 360 dashboard to nav to my videos folder where I tried this experiment and it says "no video found" or some sad response.

Without transcoding and on-the-fly conversion (using TVersity etc) and what not, is there a way to get this to happen or am I stuck with converting to AVI or WMV?

Is this more of a 360 limitation?  One would think I could use the super secret Media Center code to allow the 360 to act as an extender to WHS but that appears to be fruitless.

Any ideas are appreciated.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:01 PM

Answers

• I have been researching ways of streaming dvd content from WHS to xbox360 and I thought I came up with an elegant solution which involves:
    1. Ensure you own the DVD you plan on streaming (no pirating thank you)
    2. Use DVD Decrypter to make a legal backup and ensure file splitting is set to "NONE"
    3. Backup the contents to a folder of your choosing (\\server\videos for example)
    4. DVD Decrypter will create .IFO and .BUP files - these should be deleted
    5. Rename the single .VOB to .MPG (since DVD content is MPEG2)
    6. Enjoy

However, this assumes you use Media Center to stream the content to your 360 and since it appears to me that the 360 won't connect to WHS using the Media Center function I'm at a loss.

That's because WHS is is not a Media Center PC.  You need a Media Center PC setting between your server and your XBox.

I did as described and used the new 360 dashboard to nav to my videos folder where I tried this experiment and it says "no video found" or some sad response.

Without transcoding and on-the-fly conversion (using TVersity etc) and what not, is there a way to get this to happen or am I stuck with converting to AVI or WMV?

The XBox doesn't play mpg files.  However, if you have a Media Center PC between the 2 devices, you should be able to play mpg files through the XBox Media Center Extender.

Is this more of a 360 limitation?

Yes.

One would think I could use the super secret Media Center code to allow the 360 to act as an extender to WHS but that appears to be fruitless.

Any ideas are appreciated.

• Marked as answer by tedliq Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:08 AM