best ribon editor tool for crm 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - What is your favority ribbon editor tool for CRM 2011?  The SDK describes editing the ribbon by directly editing the customization.xml file directly.  However, there are a few ribbon editors on codeplex:

* Ribbon Workbench for Dynamics CRM 2011
    * Ribbon Editor for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011
    * MS CRM 2011: Pragma Toolkit: Ribbon, Site Map Editor
    * CRM 2011 Visual Ribbon Editor

Which of these tools have you used and what's you preferred approach for making ribbon updates?

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'll start off by saying that I'm the author of the Ribbon Workbench and so I'm a little biased, but thought I should add something here.

I wrote the Ribbon Workbench in the first place because the other tools just didn't give me all the features I needed to customise the ribbon. As a result of those limitations I found that developers (myself included) were making very error prone manual edits to the RibbonXml and this tended to waste a lot of time when trying to track down the problem. I wanted to plug this gap and create a tool where you never need touch the RibbonXml and where I also could build in techniques & tricks that I'd found to work when editing the ribbon. 

Here are some of those features that the Ribbon Workbench supports:

1. Support for Flyout Anchor/Split buttons & sub-menus
    2. Support for dynamic population of menus
    3. Edit/customise standard out of the box buttons and commands as well as adding new ones.
    4. Moving standard buttons around and changing their commands
    5. Adding new Groups/Tabs
    6. Sharing the same commands between multiple buttons
    7. Searching for image/javascript webresource to prevent typos.
    8. Customising the Jewel menu
    9. Validation of common mistakes when adding ribbon customisations.
    10. Drag & Drop UI

I had also found that the other editors used to leave RibbonXml artefacts in my customisations even after I'd removed buttons.

You can learn more about the Ribbon Workbench here - http://ribbonworkbench.uservoice.com/knowledgebase

There will be a new version for Orion once it's released that will support the new flat UI interface - http://www.develop1.net/public/post/App-Bar-Workbench-for-Dynamics-CRM-2013.aspx

Finally - another tool that is a fantastic resource for working with the ribbon is the CRM2011 Iconator by Tanguy that allows you to quickly add icons to your solutions.

Hope this helps,

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Monday, June 24, 2013 9:05 PM
    Answerer