Multiple mediation servers for multiple voip gateways? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all,

I want to deploy the communicator on our 6 branch offices include Voip integration.

I installed one mediation server and implemented it with one Voip gateway. If I will install few more Voip gateways, should I install for each branch office that has voip gateway a mediation server?

Thanks,

Assaf

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:32 PM

Answers

• Yes, currently a Mediation server can only connect to a single gateway at a time.  At least one gateway vendor (Quintum) has a solution that involves a master gateway and sub-gateways so that a single mediation server can point to the master and manage all calls.  I don't know if others have this as well.  However, depending on your network topology you may want multiple gateways/mediation servers anyway to ensure proper call quality.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• Yes, currently a Mediation server can only connect to a single gateway at a time.  At least one gateway vendor (Quintum) has a solution that involves a master gateway and sub-gateways so that a single mediation server can point to the master and manage all calls.  I don't know if others have this as well.  However, depending on your network topology you may want multiple gateways/mediation servers anyway to ensure proper call quality.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 3:47 PM
  •  

For completeness - SER can act as the single gateway from Mediation server & then redirect to multiple gateways.

http://www.voipinfo.org/wiki/view/SER+and+Microsoft+OCS

I would assume the same setup could be applied to OpenSER (the free version).

However - configuring SER (or OpenSER) is not 'plug & play' & requires a good working knowledge of VoIP protocols.

Regards

Paul

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:04 PM