File Deletion RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

It would be nice if a user deleted a file that it wasn't really deleted, but went into a "purged state", so that if necessary, the file could be retrieved...

Maybe deleted files are on a timer, so after a week, they just fall off, or, the admin has to delete files for the users?

Just a thought for people who have wives that have accidentally deleted files in the past. 

Is it possible to connect a tape drive to WHS?

Al

Thursday, April 26, 2007 2:04 AM

Answers

• You should take another look at the "Previous Versions" feature in WHS. Like a similar feature in Vista, you can use it to recover a file you've accidentally deleted:
    • Right click the share or folder the file was in
    • Select Properties
    • Select the Previous Versions tab
    • Select the version that's likely to contain the file you deleted, and click on View
    You'll get an Explorer window with the contents of the folder at that time. You can drag and drop to retrieve a file.

As for a tape drive, probably. But there's no way to run a backup or restore safely; there's a note in the documentation that using a backup tool on WHS can corrupt data. NTBackup is mentioned specifically, but  it's clear that Microsoft has tested a number of backup solutions.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:33 AM

All replies

• You should take another look at the "Previous Versions" feature in WHS. Like a similar feature in Vista, you can use it to recover a file you've accidentally deleted:
    • Right click the share or folder the file was in
    • Select Properties
    • Select the Previous Versions tab
    • Select the version that's likely to contain the file you deleted, and click on View
    You'll get an Explorer window with the contents of the folder at that time. You can drag and drop to retrieve a file.

As for a tape drive, probably. But there's no way to run a backup or restore safely; there's a note in the documentation that using a backup tool on WHS can corrupt data. NTBackup is mentioned specifically, but  it's clear that Microsoft has tested a number of backup solutions.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Thanks Ken,

I'm at work, I'll have to test this when I get home.

So if a user deletes a file on the share, I can use the "Previous Version" feature on the console to recover?  Or, can the user use "Previous Version" on the shared folder(s)?

I'm familiar with the "Previous Versions" feature, we use it here at my office, I just didn't think to look for it on WHS.

Thanks again,

Al

Thursday, April 26, 2007 2:22 PM
  • I highly recommend reading the documentation, Al. Previous Versions is described there, along with a lot of other features.

As for using it, any user that has access to the share should be able to use the Previous Versions tab to recover a file.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:29 PM
  • I know this is old but I cannot find that feature when right clicking a share or anywhere else. Help
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:28 AM
  • What OS are you using? I have XP Pro and I can see the previous versions of my shares, but on my Vista Home Premium I can't see previous versions.

It is possible you may need XP Pro, XP MCE/Tablet (these are subsets of XP Pro), Vista Business or Vista Ultimate to get the previous version feature - I believe it's called shadow copy or somesuch.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:38 AM