Server Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Is the only way to backup a Windows Home Server to do so manually?

I have the server running and backing up my home computers automatically per the WHS schedule. I also have files stored exclusively on the server's shared folders. On the server I have one internal 1.5TB drive as a "Storage Drive". This is where my networked PCs are backed up. I have a second 1.5TB drive designated as a "Server Backup Hard Drive".

My plan was to backup the backups on the second 1.5TB drive automatically via a schedule. Do I have to do this manually? It seems kind of odd that the WHS software will backup a network PC but not back itself.

Thanks.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 1:43 AM

All replies

• Sadly you're right. This issue will be "somewhat" corrected in Windows Home Server 2011 (automated backup of UP TO 2TB of data to a local backup disk). If you want to automate this for WHS v1 you can use Robocopy or something similar.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 8:13 AM
  • See another thread here . There are the same question and very long discussion. May be this article, I found via Google, will be useful.

There are a lot of methods to backup your data. Built-in WHS tool is only one of them. So if you not success with this tool - just try another one.

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:03 AM