Homeserver.com sub domain name RRS feed

• Question

• Any other trial addressing this problem failed, including contacting Microsoft Germany who could not solve this within 9 Weeks, so this is my last hope to get some help

I’ve experienced some problem with my liveID: My old account was closed by Microsoft (in those days issued on 8.Feb.2008 by support@passport.msn.com).
    With my new LiveID (issued on 16.sep.2010 by postmaster@windowslivemail.com) I can not use my previous sub domain “SERVER” because it is in use… (by my old LiveID)
    I cannot release this Subdomain because of the problems with the old account (they could not be solved)

Currently I’m, using “SER-VER” (note the hyphen in between)

Could a domain-admin please help: Release the sub domain “SERVER” so in future I can access my home server using this sub domain again?
    I do not know the internal code for my old LiveID, but I logged on using my email account
    Microsoft Germany tried to solve this issue, but they can not access anyone who is able to change the entry in the database.
    If you need some prove of these LiveID’s belonging to me, I can send the original “Welcome” messages… 

Note: "SERVER" nor "SER-VER" is not the actual sub-domain name, please contact me for the real domain names, I think some one of MS will be able to see my Email Address from my LiveID

Best Regard,
    Hebels

Monday, November 29, 2010 5:41 PM

Answers

• If Windows Live Domains has declined to help you (which is what it sounds like), nobody here can. Unfortunately, an un-used Live ID will eventually expire. You server can continue to use the vanity URL you selected, because it's authenticated via a token rather than logging in to Live, but you can't retrieve the URL on another server (or on your server after reinstallation) because that requires a login through Live, with the same Live ID.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Hebels Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:22 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Hi Bert,
    I recently run into the same issue with a domain, for which I created a separate Live ID, which I didn't use for anything else, so it expired. It is not a good behavior, I fully agree (and it is the same behavior which makes XBOX users lose their gamer tags and associated stuff.

Such un-corporation between Microsoft services should never happen and is, even if it is a free service, hardly acceptable.

Best greetings from (currently Poland)
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Hebels Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:13 PM
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 9:26 PM

All replies

• If Windows Live Domains has declined to help you (which is what it sounds like), nobody here can. Unfortunately, an un-used Live ID will eventually expire. You server can continue to use the vanity URL you selected, because it's authenticated via a token rather than logging in to Live, but you can't retrieve the URL on another server (or on your server after reinstallation) because that requires a login through Live, with the same Live ID.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Hebels Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:22 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Hi Ken,

"If Windows Live Domains has declined to help you (which is what it sounds like), nobody here can"
    Does that mean, that the domain administrator for HOMESERVER.COM is located somewhere at windows live domains?
    Because MS-Germany, who tried to help me, where mostly on the homeserver front, which I think is the wrong direction.
    I tried to mail at WebMaster@Homeserver.com, but there's no email support tied up to that end... (no reply)

Do you know, how long it will take to "eventualy" release the subdomain registered at Homeserver.com after the Live-ID expired?

Again, currently i'm, not able to use my original subdomain at Homeserver.com but use a different instead...

Best Regards,
    Bert Hebels

Sunday, December 5, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Hi Bert,
    I recently run into the same issue with a domain, for which I created a separate Live ID, which I didn't use for anything else, so it expired. It is not a good behavior, I fully agree (and it is the same behavior which makes XBOX users lose their gamer tags and associated stuff.

Such un-corporation between Microsoft services should never happen and is, even if it is a free service, hardly acceptable.

Best greetings from (currently Poland)
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Hebels Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:13 PM
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 9:26 PM