XP Major Problems & Later Validation Problems RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that my girlfriends' computer was overtaken by viruses.  One evening she calls me up and says that she can't use the laptop anymore, that if I can help her out.  Being a Mac person, I figured that the best and surest way was to re-install the operating system: boy was I wrong.

She brought me al the OE CDs and decided to do a clean install after her most important files were back-up on CD-ROMs.  After the installation was complete, as expected, it asked for the Product Key, and when I inserted the Key, it prompted "Not Valid".

I checked it twice, even flipped the laptop over, and nothing.  Then I continued without Validation, but 30 days later, the system was locked.

I did call the number on the screen for an alternate validation number, but was unable after more than 10 times to get a hold of someone.

So I called a couple of tech guys I knew and they "solved" the problem. 

My girl tells me tonight, that the screen prompts that the License is Counterfeit and that other machines are running that number.  I tried calling Dell, and they told me to contact Microsoft.  So here I am stuck, what can I do?  I will try to contact 1-800-Microsoft again.

Paul
    Friday, July 21, 2006 12:06 AM

Answers

• Paul Days,

To help me understand the issue further can you please follow the steps below?

1. Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". Paste the results into your forum response.

Friday, July 21, 2006 2:18 PM