Home Server Activiation problem RRS feed

• Question

• About three weeks ago I installed WHS on my machine with no problems to speak of.  About 5 or 6 days ago I started to get the taskbar WHS symbol displaying red with the warning that WHS would require activation in 5 days.  I checked in the console and discovered I had until Aug. 8th 2009 before my activation would expire so I just didn't pay all that much attention to the problem. About two weeks ago I had the taskbar symbol give me a warning in yellow that activation would be required, but that warning went away within a day or two and all has been fine until 5 days ago.

Went to log onto the console today and it will not allow me to log on with out an activation key.  I can access my folders through the web.  I did some searching on the web and found one thing to check was the bios date, which I did and it is set to the correct day, month, year.

Any guidence on what to do next?  I was logging on to the console to try and solve my backup issue with my desktop of 3 days and only 59% backed up.  I will deal with that problem if I can get into the console again.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 10:20 PM

Answers

• dbleitch said:

About three weeks ago I installed WHS on my machine with no problems to speak of.  About 5 or 6 days ago I started to get the taskbar WHS symbol displaying red with the warning that WHS would require activation in 5 days.  I checked in the console and discovered I had until Aug. 8th 2009 before my activation would expire so I just didn't pay all that much attention to the problem. About two weeks ago I had the taskbar symbol give me a warning in yellow that activation would be required, but that warning went away within a day or two and all has been fine until 5 days ago.

Went to log onto the console today and it will not allow me to log on with out an activation key.  I can access my folders through the web.  I did some searching on the web and found one thing to check was the bios date, which I did and it is set to the correct day, month, year.

Any guidence on what to do next?  I was logging on to the console to try and solve my backup issue with my desktop of 3 days and only 59% backed up.  I will deal with that problem if I can get into the console again.

Yes, activate your 120 day eval. :)  You only get 30 days unless you activate your trial license.  You need to request a trial license key through Connect.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, March 16, 2009 10:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by dbleitch Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:19 AM
    Monday, March 16, 2009 10:56 PM
  • If it is the eval version, you have to get a key from the connect site and enter that. 
    Monday, March 16, 2009 10:57 PM
  • dbleitch said:

Thanks so much for the information, did I miss something in the setup?  I just didn't notice anything about activating the eval copy. 

No, it's not mentioned during setup.  However, straight from the MS WHS Download website:

4. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software.
    • Marked as answer by dbleitch Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:20 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:02 AM

All replies

• dbleitch said:

About three weeks ago I installed WHS on my machine with no problems to speak of.  About 5 or 6 days ago I started to get the taskbar WHS symbol displaying red with the warning that WHS would require activation in 5 days.  I checked in the console and discovered I had until Aug. 8th 2009 before my activation would expire so I just didn't pay all that much attention to the problem. About two weeks ago I had the taskbar symbol give me a warning in yellow that activation would be required, but that warning went away within a day or two and all has been fine until 5 days ago.

Yes, activate your 120 day eval. :)  You only get 30 days unless you activate your trial license.  You need to request a trial license key through Connect.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, March 16, 2009 10:56 PM
    Monday, March 16, 2009 10:56 PM
  • If it is the eval version, you have to get a key from the connect site and enter that. 
    Monday, March 16, 2009 10:57 PM
  •  Thanks so much for the information, did I miss something in the setup?  I just didn't notice anything about activating the eval copy. 
    Monday, March 16, 2009 11:56 PM
  • dbleitch said:

Thanks so much for the information, did I miss something in the setup?  I just didn't notice anything about activating the eval copy. 

No, it's not mentioned during setup.  However, straight from the MS WHS Download website:

4. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software.
    • Marked as answer by dbleitch Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:20 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:02 AM
  • kariya21 said:

dbleitch said:

Where can one go to purchase the license before the 120 day period has passed?  I have a lot of data on this server that I don't want to lose, so want to be 100% certain I won't have a doorstop on day 121.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Hi,
    you can purchase Windows Home Server as OEM license online. Depending from your location you can try Amazon or Newegg, to name only a few.
    You will need to perform a server reinstall anyway to change from the trial version to the OEM product.
    Details how to do you find on this FAQ.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:03 AM
  • Thanks for the help Olaf!
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:54 PM