My Mesh Does not Sync, Without going to Cloud.. ? RRS feed

• Question

• I Wanted to share folders across all computers in my House and i wanted to sync with all computers which are connected through LAN and WLAN.

I created Live Mesh folder and When I changed to option not to sync in the to Cloud (Live Desktop).

In another device i tried to sync, but sync never happens.

When the files are in cloud the sync is instantaneous. What is the issue ?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:47 AM

Answers

• DevDuck said:

Yes there is a file/folder limit per Live Mesh Folder, but 15,000 is well below that limit.  The same goes for file size limitations.

Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]

hi all,

thanks for all the replies..

It just started to sync .. finally..

But i find few problems..

1. The Sync Initiated only after long hour of idle time.
    2. It takes very very very long time for sync, though it is through LAN / WLAN.

But at least it works for now..

====
    Barath
    • Marked as answer by a_r_Barath Monday, July 28, 2008 2:08 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2008 2:08 AM

All replies

• Were you devices still connected to the cloud ? because the meta data had to be able to get to the cloud so a device picks up there is change.

That's the only explenation I can think of why the sync doesn't happen at all...
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:37 AM
  • I think it would be a good idea to file a bug - .How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

There would appear to be some issues with peer to peer sync, especially when you don't want to sync with the Live Desktop.

There are at least two threads that discuss peer to peer sync as it exists today:
    http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en/LiveMesh/thread/ee09ef29-92fa-4880-ace5-6af5ad644040
    http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en/LiveMesh/thread/867cd8b2-e8c0-4ff5-ab0d-a458c2563e0b

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:19 PM
  • CKurt said:

Were you devices still connected to the cloud ? because the meta data had to be able to get to the cloud so a device picks up there is change.

That's the only explenation I can think of why the sync doesn't happen at all...

yes All my Devices are online. i just waited for more than one hour. To initiate or trigger i tried to add and delete files..

Steps I followed.

1. Right click on a folder (it is a very huge folder with lot of files with over 5GB content, documents, ppts, pdfs etc etc) then add to live mesh.
    2. Go to WeB, Online Desktop, Right Click on the folder added to Cloud..
    3. Change Sync Settings, Do not Sync to Live Desktop
    4. Folder Changed the ICON to A Ghosted ICON with shortcut overlay over it.
    5. Went to Another Device.
    6. Manage Folders
    7. Sync to this device.  and selected the target folder..

and

waited.. waited..

nothing happened..

Where to file a bug.. ? if it is a bug..

If the above just works fine without problem.. any idea if it will work across mesh  ? Share a folder without going to cloud, add a member , where a ghosted shortcut appears on the guests Live desktop.. and then choose to sync with the folder.. on the guest device..

.. I think i just got to use folder share.. if it does not work.. otherwise.. which i use too..

• Edited by a_r_Barath Friday, July 25, 2008 2:16 AM spelling
    Friday, July 25, 2008 2:09 AM
  • a_r,

I did the exact same thing with 4 large files....I added them at 3:56PM tonight....Total of 2.4GB

It is 11:00PM now and the files have started to Sync with the target computer, not sure when they actually started....right now if I look at the mesh client on the target - it has completed 1.00GB of 2.44GB.

Both of the computers are currently on the same LAN - but obviously the files are going up to the cloud first...

The 4 .wlx placeholder files were added to the Mesh Folder on the target PC within a couple of minutes of when I added the files to the source folder. 

Mark

Mark
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:10 AM
  • mterrace said:

a_r,

I did the exact same thing with 4 large files....I added them at 3:56PM tonight....Total of 2.4GB

It is 11:00PM now and the files have started to Sync with the target computer, not sure when they actually started....right now if I look at the mesh client on the target - it has completed 1.00GB of 2.44GB.

Both of the computers are currently on the same LAN - but obviously the files are going up to the cloud first...

The 4 .wlx placeholder files were added to the Mesh Folder on the target PC within a couple of minutes of when I added the files to the source folder. 

Mark

Mark

i just think it is because of too many files inside my folder which i am trying to sync,  it has over 15,000 files

Is there any files or subfolder limit ? Sorry tht i m not aware of it if any.. pls let me know...

I just suspect that must be the issue because when i tried to add through foldershare it immediately says "It has too many files" and "Choose another folder"., so is that carrying out here..

if that is the case .. may i know how many files , and sub directories.. it can hold..

is there any file size limitations ?
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Yes there is a file/folder limit per Live Mesh Folder, but 15,000 is well below that limit.  The same goes for file size limitations.
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:38 PM
    Answerer
  • DevDuck said:

Yes there is a file/folder limit per Live Mesh Folder, but 15,000 is well below that limit.  The same goes for file size limitations.

hi all,

thanks for all the replies..

It just started to sync .. finally..

But i find few problems..

1. The Sync Initiated only after long hour of idle time.
    2. It takes very very very long time for sync, though it is through LAN / WLAN.

But at least it works for now..

====
    Barath
    • Marked as answer by a_r_Barath Monday, July 28, 2008 2:08 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2008 2:08 AM