Problems Installing RRS feed

• Question

• Someone was recently invited to our live mesh folder but whenever he tries to sign in he is told he cannot get live mesh beta but should download the 2011 version. When trying to dwonload this he is then told that he can't install. Is this a problem with his computer or with Live mesh?
    Monday, September 6, 2010 12:30 PM

Answers

• I suspect that they may have disallowed new signups to Live Mesh as the beta will no longer be updated. The Live Sync beta (which will become Live Mesh by the time it is released) will not install on XP machines and is a totally different environment from the current Live Mesh beta that you are using, so if he is using Vista or 7, installing that would not allow him access to your shared folder.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Update... yes, new signups are no longer being accepted.

I tried to sign up with a different LiveID and this message appeared:

"Thanks for your interest in Live Mesh beta. We’re no longer accepting participants in the Live Mesh beta, but you can install Windows Live Mesh 2011. Learn more about Windows Live Mesh 2011."

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:55 PM

All replies

• I suspect that they may have disallowed new signups to Live Mesh as the beta will no longer be updated. The Live Sync beta (which will become Live Mesh by the time it is released) will not install on XP machines and is a totally different environment from the current Live Mesh beta that you are using, so if he is using Vista or 7, installing that would not allow him access to your shared folder.

-steve

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Update... yes, new signups are no longer being accepted.

I tried to sign up with a different LiveID and this message appeared:

"Thanks for your interest in Live Mesh beta. We’re no longer accepting participants in the Live Mesh beta, but you can install Windows Live Mesh 2011. Learn more about Windows Live Mesh 2011."

-steve

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Stephen;

I am replacing one XP machine with another XP machine.

I download the app, it says it is installing and starting but can not start. Are they preventing the client from being installed even with the same account?

Robert Tankersley
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:46 PM
  • No, Robert. You can reinstall. you just cannot sign up for a new account.

-steve

Friday, September 10, 2010 12:41 PM
  • OK thanks. Then I have a problem. The install seems to succeed but then I get the message starting -- Can not start. So far I can not see the issue. Can you give me some pointers.
    Robert Tankersley
    Friday, September 10, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Was Live Mesh ever installed on this PC? Is it a fresh install of XP? Is XP fully up to date with all security updates post SP3? What security software is running? Was Live Mesh installed under an admin account? Does Windows Update work on this PC?

-steve

Friday, September 10, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Was Live Mesh ever installed on this PC?  No. New computer.

Is it a fresh install of XP? Yes

Is XP fully up to date with all security updates post SP3? Yes.

What security software is running?

Was Live Mesh installed under an admin account? I am the adminstrator. Does Windows Update work on this PC? Yes

-steve

Robert Tankersley
    Friday, September 10, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Stephen; I forgot the security sofware question. McAfee virus scan runs on all of our machine. No workstation based firewall. I am on a large domain network and all of the firewall is outside of me.
    Robert Tankersley
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:03 PM
  • I don't believe that the issue would be the security software or even the corporate firewall, especially since it worked on your prior machine in the same environment.

I suggest two paths:

1. Uninstall and try the installation once again. Since you had trouble installing, that would seem to indicate that the install wasn't actually successful, hence the reason it can't start now.

2. Abandon Live Mesh and seek an alternative. Live Mesh as it exists today will go away. The new Live Mesh, currently part of Windows Live Essentials Wave 4 beta, will not run on an XP machine, unfortunately.

-steve

Monday, September 13, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Stephen:

Thanks for all your help. I understand your answer though I don't like it.

I have uninstalled and installed several times with no luck.

Once again, the thought of abandoning Mesh is not not a desired path. I work with the Commonwealth of Kentucky. We support thousands of machines. They are not leaving XP. Mesh makes a perfect application.

Thanks again. If you have other ideas, please let me know.

Robert Tankersley
    Monday, September 13, 2010 2:48 PM
  • You're welcome, and sorry for the unfortunate answer.

And, sorry that Mesh will no longer be available to you when the back end for the current version is disabled. (Note that no date for this has been announced, though support will be pretty much non-existent when the final for the new version is released.)

-steve

Monday, September 13, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Stephen - Still looking for an answer. The administrators have given the new machines extremely long names (13 characters). Could there be a limit in Mesh for the computer name?
    Robert Tankersley
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Stephen - Still looking for an answer. The administrators have given the new machines extremely long names (13 characters). Could there be a limit in Mesh for the computer name?
    Robert Tankersley

I'm not aware of a limitation on the PC name. Mine are all under 10 characters, but I would imagine that many people use longer names.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 11:30 AM