Caught with my pants down at Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• This started in November of 2010 when I found out that my Financial Institution no longer supported MS-Money. Without warning, they pulled the plug and I had not updated my accounts since the end of August 2010 and could no longer import account transactions. 

I had been using the 2004 OEM version of Money.  I was told I should convert to Quicken 2011 (not by choice) to keep current with my Financial Institution download policies and that I would be able to import my mny. files in and pick up where I left off.  

After download of the Quicken program, I found out the Money files had to be from a newer version than Money 2004 so I installed a trial version of Money 2008 Deluxe from a link on the Quicken Support site.  I did not understand at that time that the installation of 2008 was a "trial version" that would expire in 60 days.  Silly me.  

I installed the Quicken Premier 2011 - no problem until I tried to import the .mny files.  Quicken would not accept the password protected files etc.  At the time I could still get a limited amount of support from MS and also from Quicken.  We tried every conceivable remedy possible to import various filie types, remove passwords etc to no avail.  My financial institution IT dept gave me some bad advice that Quicken had a bug in there program which should be fixed by the end of January 2011.  Frustrated, I let it all sit until the middle of February or so before I tried to see if I could now import my .mny files.  The result was a resounding NOT.  This is about when I came to realize that I was using a trial version which had now expired.  I can no longer enter any more data manually or otherwise although I can access the program and print hard copy of my account transactions.  I would just like to get to / through the end of the year using the same program so I can get my taxes completed and then start fresh with the Quicken from the beginning of this year

All I would like to do at this point is find out; CAN I install the Money SUNSET version over the top of a trial version so I can finish out the 2010 year or can I reinstall another trial version of 2008 Deluxe?  My old 2004 Money files are now in the 2008 format, could I possibly install a trial version of Money Home and Office as an alternative?  

Any suggestions / solutions are welcome. 

Friday, April 8, 2011 10:09 PM

All replies

• Since your .mny files are 2008 level, save backup copies of them on other media, uninstall the trial version and install either Sunset version.  You should be good to go and may even decide not to switch to Quicken.   Check out http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/ for other options available to you, and pull your pants back up :)

• Proposed as answer by ameridan Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:12 PM
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:11 PM
  • I would just try installing Sunset. If it wants the trial software removed first, it will say so.

You could also consider continuing to use Money -- perhaps in parallel. If you want to do that, after installing Sunset, I suggest you install PocketSense and attempt to download the transactions that you are missing. Initially you will want to set PocketSense to download a long period of transactions (defaultInterval setting in sites.dat). Then you will set the interval shorter.

Your FI may not have all of the transactions in the interval since you stopped updating earlier. Add those transactions manually, or at least make a compensating transaction.

Saturday, April 9, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Thank you for your insight.  I am not familiar with PocetSense but will look into it.  I would like to continue to use Money but I do not believe that my FI will support a format that i can download from.  

I will take a closer look.  Thanks again.  

FlatStick
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:43 PM