Is the Live Mesh Remote Desktop right for my situation? RRS feed

• Question

• I use my computer to record and show music etc. in my home recording studio, however, my piano keyboard is behind me and I face away from the computer 

monitor  ( about 5 ft away ) when I play it, so I bought a second monitor to hook up to same computer and set in front of my (piano) keyboard so I can use it  to view song info while playing.

Now I realize I ideally  need to use a mouse with the second monitor, so am  either going to get a mouse with a realy long cord ( about 12 or 15 ft. )

or a remote mouse. Will I be able to use Live Mesh Remote Desktop to switch from one monitor to the other and back, and use the one remote mouse, or do I need some other

solution? Or can I use my present mouse for the  original desk top monitor and a remote mouse for the second monitor on the same computer?

Thanks,

George

Monday, January 10, 2011 2:31 AM

Answers

• No, this is not what Remote Desktop means.

If you plug in a second monitor to the same PC, you can extend your desktop (spread the image to more than one monitor at the same time- expanded) or duplicate your screen to another monitor. The latter sounds like you want.

You can have multiple wireless and/or USB mice and keyboards controlling the same PC.

Remote Desktop means to control a remote computer from a local computer.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, January 10, 2011 12:07 PM

All replies

• I should mention that both monitors are going to be plugged into the same port via a "y" adapter, so I am going to be seeing the same images and pages on both

monitors, I just don't know how the mouse/cursor is going to recognize one screen from the other, I mean, can I just walk over to the second computer and the cursor will

appear on it? How does that work?

Monday, January 10, 2011 2:56 AM
  • okay,

I have read where I could set dual monitor settings and control which monitor I use mouse on, and ordered a cordless mouse I can move from work desk to piano keyboard.

Next I well see if I can use the original mouse on the original monitor and the cordless mouse on the second monitor. any ideas?

Thanks, I've been a big help.

(No problem, just let me know if you need anything else)

Why are you talking to yourself?

Uh..shut up.

No, YOU shut up.

(sigh)

Monday, January 10, 2011 3:38 AM
  • No, this is not what Remote Desktop means.

If you plug in a second monitor to the same PC, you can extend your desktop (spread the image to more than one monitor at the same time- expanded) or duplicate your screen to another monitor. The latter sounds like you want.

You can have multiple wireless and/or USB mice and keyboards controlling the same PC.

Remote Desktop means to control a remote computer from a local computer.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, January 10, 2011 12:07 PM
  • By the way, you don't want a Y- adapter for the monitor, in my opinion. You want to add a graphics card to the PC that supports dual monitors.

-steve

Monday, January 10, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Okay, but I only saw one place to plug in a monitor type plug, so where would I plug the second monitor in? Oh, it's a Dell Pentium 4 about a year old.

A 22" inch screen came with it and I just bought a 15" Dell Monitor for my piano keyboard.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:43 AM
  • Okay, but I only saw one place to plug in a monitor type plug, so where would I plug the second monitor in? Oh, it's a Dell Pentium 4 about a year old.

A 22" inch screen came with it and I just bought a 15" Dell Monitor for my piano keyboard.

Your PC has a single monitor connection via a graphics chipset built into the motherboard. You would obtain an add-in graphics card, install in into the PC and use that. You can purchase a card that support multiple monitors.

For your purposes, the Y-adapter to clone the display to 2 places may well be a valid solution. In any event, it isn't something that can be done via any "remote desktop" solutuon - Live Mesh or otherwise.

Good luck,

-steve

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:26 PM