OS Partition Reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• My motherboard blew, so i took it to a hardware store, and they replaced some of the hardware. After that it would not boot again. I figured it might be the hardware changes, So I formatted the c: partition and reinstalled using the wizard. It booted up and I can see al my files if i go to d:\shares on the console.
    However, if I go to the shares via the network it tells me access is denied. I recreated all the users, but the way I see it, the GUID that user is linked to is not the same as the GUID in the security setup for that folder any more.
    Do I need to make a backup of all the folders in d:\shares, and redo the entire server, or is there another way?

Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:11 PM

All replies

• CraftyZA said:

My motherboard blew, so i took it to a hardware store, and they replaced some of the hardware. After that it would not boot again. I figured it might be the hardware changes, So I formatted the c: partition and reinstalled using the wizard. It booted up and I can see al my files if i go to d:\shares on the console.
    However, if I go to the shares via the network it tells me access is denied. I recreated all the users, but the way I see it, the GUID that user is linked to is not the same as the GUID in the security setup for that folder any more.
    Do I need to make a backup of all the folders in d:\shares, and redo the entire server, or is there another way?

No, you shouldn't have to.

Did you select Server Reinstallation when you booted from the WHS DVD?  Once the process is complete (make sure let it finish as it may appear to be frozen near the end of the process, but don't worry, it's not frozen), all you have to do is recreate any users (along with correct passwords) and re-install any add-ins/apps.  Did you try creating a new user (that didn't exist before) on both the client and the server and see if that works?
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:16 PM
  • hmmm, well i thought it did hang, so i rebooted (After 2 hours into the install). suppose i screwed it by doing that?

Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:20 PM
  • CraftyZA said:

hmmm, well i thought it did hang, so i rebooted (After 2 hours into the install). suppose i screwed it by doing that?

It's possible.  That's the step when WHS re-creates "tombstones" (reparse points) for every file stored on every drive in your server.  I would suggest you try another Server Reinstallation and let it finish (which, depending on how much data you have on your server, could potentially be a couple days).  Basically, don't do anything to the server until you see the Welcome screen on your monitor.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:23 PM
  • By the way the new mobo is a Asus P5Q with  3.0 core 2 duo 45nm. It is suposed to be fairly fast. I also bought another 1tb drive, so it should not be too much of a mission to copy everything. It is about 550 GB to be backed up.

Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:23 PM
  • CraftyZA said:

By the way the new mobo is a Asus P5Q with  3.0 core 2 duo 45nm. It is suposed to be fairly fast. I also bought another 1tb drive, so it should not be too much of a mission to copy everything. It is about 550 GB to be backed up.

Oh ok, that's not that much. :)  I would still go with the Server Reinstallation method and "wait it out".  That shouldn't take that long for the Reinstallation process to recreate "tombstones" with only 550 GB of data.

But if you want to go the New Installation route, make sure you back up your data by pulling the hard drives from your server and copying everything from the hidden folders on each drive called DE.  (That is where the real data is stored.)
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Thanks a lot man!!!!
    just  started the copy. when that is done, I will kick off the install and go to bed.
    I really appreciate the help a lot!!!

Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:42 PM