How to Disable Alerts: for remove interfering software & install Internet version 7 RRS feed

• Question

•  

For Window Live One Care:

1st: I would like to find out how to disable the check for interfering software.  I have Norton System Works on the computer and want to use it.  Can I disbale the check or tell WLOC to ignore specific software in its check.

2nd: I keep getting an alert to install Internet version 7.  I do not want to install it.   I want to use version 6.  So can I diable the check or tell WLOC to ignore the check for this software.

Thanks.

Monday, December 1, 2008 5:40 PM

Answers

• I've moved your post to General as it has nothing to do with Backup.

You can't disable either alert.

1. Norton System Works has been identified as an interfering program. If you wish to use it, then you'll probably want to pursue different security software as the conflict with OneCare can cause system instability or performance issues. At the very least, the issues may be annoying and not critical, but it may impact the ability for OneCare to update itself or function properly.

2. IE 7 is a critical required security update. Using IE6 exposes you to risks that are corrected with IE7.

-steve

Monday, December 1, 2008 7:09 PM

All replies

• I've moved your post to General as it has nothing to do with Backup.

You can't disable either alert.

1. Norton System Works has been identified as an interfering program. If you wish to use it, then you'll probably want to pursue different security software as the conflict with OneCare can cause system instability or performance issues. At the very least, the issues may be annoying and not critical, but it may impact the ability for OneCare to update itself or function properly.

2. IE 7 is a critical required security update. Using IE6 exposes you to risks that are corrected with IE7.

-steve

Monday, December 1, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I do not  like this answer.  Thsi is a simple request.

So I know I am at risk.  I am taking the risk so why remind me every day.   I have over 25 computers in my small company and we have 3 that have WLOC on them.  I think I should decide what risk I can expose myself to not microsoft. 

And Norton System Works does things that WLOC does not do.

So why would Microsoft not give its user the ability to turn off an alert?  This is very annoying and probably why the other 22 computer I have will not be using WLOC. 

So when can I expect a fix for this by Microsoft?

Tom

Monday, December 1, 2008 10:17 PM
  • I don't expect you to like the answer. There is no fix since it isn't broken. It is working as designed. Quite simply your PC is at risk. By choosing to use OneCare, you are going to be alerted about situations deemed to put the PC at risk. If you choose to ignore that risk, OneCare will not allow you to disable the warning and you will continue to see the status as red/at risk. I understand your displeasure with this, but choosing to ignore the risk doesn't make it any less risky. If you don't want to be told that your PC is at risk, then OneCare is not the appropriate product for you.

When the new security product is released for free in the latter part of 2009 and OneCare is retired, you will no longer see these warnings as the new product is reported to be anti-malware only and will not monitor other system status or states.

-steve

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 2:11 AM