none
Recognition points out of sync between graph and main counter RRS feed

Answers

• Matthew,

It looks like everything is back to normal on your Profile. Please let us know if you believe that there is still an issue.

Thanks,

Tim Shakarian, Software Developer

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:16 PM

All replies

• Also, I notice you got the achievements "Curator I", "Curator II", and "Curator III" all on the same day (1/13/2012). Must have been a very busy day.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:35 PM
  • @Richard Mueller

Huh, look at my profile to see what I got in only two days and what I lost in one night...

dni

Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:04 PM
  • July 2011 is when they introduced the new points and achievements system. They ran "jobs" over the next several weeks to count up activities and award points and achievements. I think some achievements were later awarded in August and September. The dates aren't when the achievements were earned, but when they were recognized by the new system.

I've noticed a few people have gotten achievements in bunches in 2012. I'm guessing that some achievements are not awarded continually, but are saved up. It's as if a job runs periodically, maybe every few weeks or months, to catch up.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble or disparage their achievements. I really think the dates just reflect when a cleanup job recognized the activities. Here is another profile where Curator I, II, and III were all awarded on the same day:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/pa%20bear%20ms%20mvp/?ws=usercard-mini

And here's one where "Proposed Answerer I" and "Proposed Answerer III" are awarded, but not "Proposed Answerer II":

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/jrv/?type=forum&referrer=http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/threads#

Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:19 PM
  • That award thing is just from the way MSDN Forums work. I think there WERE no awards for "Curator" until I earned the 3rd one. The moment I tripped that tripwire for "Curator III", a database trigger ran, giving me "Curator I" and "Curator II" as well... That's my interpretation of that, at least.

Matthew Slyman M.A. (Camb.)

Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:53 PM
  • I don't have that Curator 3, which is strange as I propose a lot of answers.

BTW, I don't like the very latest update of the forum and new look. The number of points in the message header is very distracting. I also don't like a change in my activities - the spacing makes it harder to read, IMHO. I would prefer the old look of MSDN forum for the thread header and My Activity page.

Also, my WiKi contributions are recorded incorrectly (and corresponding achievements). I only started 1 new article and even that one I never completed.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Friday, March 9, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Naomi,

i can`t do anything but agree with you.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Friday, March 9, 2012 2:25 PM
  • I think the "Curator" awards are for voting answers as helpful. I seem to recall that there's a separate category of award for proposing answers...

Friday, March 9, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Actually, the curator achievements are for marking other replies (not your own) as answers or as helpful. You really need to be a moderator to get them (or ask a lot of questions). The Curator III achievement is hard to get. Since your profile does not track how many replies you have marked as answer, we have no idea how close we are. That's OK, but I start to wonder if the system has flaws when I see people awarded all three achievements in one day well after the new points/achievements system was implemented.

I see a similar problem with the Proposed Answerer achievements. Again, the profile doesn't tabulate how many of your replies have been marked as proposed answers. Some people with many answers to their credit don't have the proposed answer achievements, which makes me wonder if proposed answers only count if they are not later marked as answers. For example, Naomi has 7,249 of her replies marked as answers, but she doesn't have the Proposed Answerer III achievement, which requires 2,000 replies marked as Proposed Answer. It's something we can't check.

Friday, March 9, 2012 4:11 PM
  • I think some clarifications here is needed. I think Proposed Answerer means how many answers you marked as proposed and that later were marked as answers. I know I mark a lot of replies as proposed answers (about 10-20 daily).

My blog

Friday, March 9, 2012 4:41 PM
  • I'm not sure what more clarification can be made. Richard is correct and the recognition FAQ has the information. Proposed answers are not factored in at all for curator.

Community Forums Program Manager

Friday, March 9, 2012 5:36 PM
  • But how do you get "Proposed Answerer III" achievement. Do you need to have replies marked by others as "Proposed Answer", but not later marked as "Answer"? Otherwise, how can Naomi have 7,249 replies marked as "Answer" and not have 2000 replies marked as "Proposed Answer"? Or were most of those 7,249 relies marked as "Answer" without first being proposed?

Also, how can jv have Proposed Answerer I and III, but not II:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/jrv/?type=forum&referrer=http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/threads

Friday, March 9, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Yes, exactly my question. I just re-read the FAQ and I'm posting it here

Proposed Answerer III Provided many proposed forums answers. Gold      
          2000 x Contributed a Proposed Forums Answer

So, PA 3 means that other people proposed your answer 2000 times, right? Does the answer need to be later marked as answer or just the proposed status is enough?

Forums Curator III Identified valuable content for Forums users. Gold      
          1000 x Identified a Forums Answer
          100 x Voted Post as Helpful

What does "identified" mean? I know I proposed more than 1000 answers. I also marked a bunch of answers (less than 1000, I think). I'm sure I voted more than 100 answers as helpful. So, what needs to be done for that achievement?

My blog

Friday, March 9, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Identified means marked, but not on your own posts. Contributed means posted. No points or activities for marking things you have posted yourself. I guess we could have a bug.  For Curator III both milestones need to be met. So if you have 110 helpful votes and 750 Answers identified (again, that you didn't contribute) you would get it. 1,200 identified answers and 110 helpful votes, the user should get it. Is that clear? 

Friday, March 9, 2012 6:07 PM
  • According to the database Naomi has 734 forum answers identified, 43 of these on own messages.

Friday, March 9, 2012 6:16 PM
  • I don't know whether there's a bug on this. I've marked a LOT of other people's work as "helpful" - always legitimately of course. I thought this was on my profile?

It's interesting how quickly the discussion has digressed! The original question was about the discrepancy between the graph and my overall points score. I just think it's a little strange. I don't care much which score is "correct".

Friday, March 9, 2012 6:22 PM
  • I think we confirmed that many forum profiles (not only your own) have different kinds of problems.

----------

BTW, for the Curator "identified" I think only a person who asks a lot of questions and mark responses can get the achievement or a moderator who marks a lot of questions. If the person is a contributor, but not a moderator, and answers lots of questions, he/she can not get the "Curator" achievement as he/she needs to actually mark the answer and this only OP or moderator can do.

My blog

Friday, March 9, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Hi Matthew,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are aware of a few Profiles that have this issue and we are testing a fix. We plan on releasing the fix as soon as next week.

Regards,

Tim

Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:01 AM
  • FYI - I just posted a sticky regarding this and related issues:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Profile/thread/5c0c9cc7-ab91-49af-9f3c-55ab0bb665b5

I hope this helps!

• Edited by tshak Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:59 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:58 AM
  • Matthew,

It looks like everything is back to normal on your Profile. Please let us know if you believe that there is still an issue.

Thanks,

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:16 PM
  • I just noticed that within the last 12 hours, my points have been synchronised between the counter and the graph. It's a little strange the lower figure is the one that has been chosen as accurate (I thought the higher figure was more accurate - it seemed more consistent with the "Helpful" votes and marked answers). But I don't care either way. At least it's not obviously wrong!

Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:40 AM
  • I think some clarifications here is needed. I think Proposed Answerer means how many answers you marked as proposed and that later were marked as answers. I know I mark a lot of replies as proposed answers (about 10-20 daily).

My blog

I'm pretty sure the 1,000 Identified Answers means that you have to propose 1,000 answers that someone has marked as answers. Now, you could say that you've proposed 10,000 replies as answers... but the reality is that probably only 2 or 3 out of 100 get marked as the answer. There are many threads without marked answers, and then not all the proposed answers get marked. So it's rarer than you'd think. You have to work against it by building a Moderation team of collaborators who work together (sort of like how we do on the Forum Issues forum).

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:09 AM
    Owner
  • I think we confirmed that many forum profiles (not only your own) have different kinds of problems.

----------

BTW, for the Curator "identified" I think only a person who asks a lot of questions and mark responses can get the achievement or a moderator who marks a lot of questions. If the person is a contributor, but not a moderator, and answers lots of questions, he/she can not get the "Curator" achievement as he/she needs to actually mark the answer and this only OP or moderator can do.

My blog

No it's all about proposing and not marking answers. However, I noticed that if you're the one who does both... well then you're about a billion times more likely to get that answer turned into an Identified Answer (because most proposed answers don't get marked as answers). That said, I still recommend waiting a week after you propose an answer.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:11 AM
    Owner
  • Yes, exactly my question. I just re-read the FAQ and I'm posting it here

Proposed Answerer III Provided many proposed forums answers. Gold      
          2000 x Contributed a Proposed Forums Answer

So, PA 3 means that other people proposed your answer 2000 times, right? Does the answer need to be later marked as answer or just the proposed status is enough?

Forums Curator III Identified valuable content for Forums users. Gold      
          1000 x Identified a Forums Answer
          100 x Voted Post as Helpful

What does "identified" mean? I know I proposed more than 1000 answers. I also marked a bunch of answers (less than 1000, I think). I'm sure I voted more than 100 answers as helpful. So, what needs to be done for that achievement?

My blog

And finally about the Proposed Answerer medals... those are even harder than the Curator medals! Most people only get about 2 or 3 out of 100 answers to be proposed as an answer before it's marked as the answer. You're actually far above the average (a much higher percentage of your Answers are actually Proposed Answers), because you have built some Moderator "teams" along the way. I've done the same thing. So this family of medals is just super hard to get. I think the initial assumption was that people propose answers about 2,000 times more often than they actually do. =^)

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:16 AM
    Owner
  • Let's think. I mark ~10-20 answers a day. So, say 300 answers a month. 300 * 12 = 3600 a year. Assuming 1/3 rate of the proposed answer to become an actual answer, I should have passed 1000 Identified Answers mark.

My blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:18 AM
  • But how do you get "Proposed Answerer III" achievement. Do you need to have replies marked by others as "Proposed Answer", but not later marked as "Answer"? Otherwise, how can Naomi have 7,249 replies marked as "Answer" and not have 2000 replies marked as "Proposed Answer"? Or were most of those 7,249 relies marked as "Answer" without first being proposed?

Also, how can jv have Proposed Answerer I and III, but not II:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/jrv/?type=forum&referrer=http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/threads

The reality is that JRV didn't earn the Proposed Answerer III medal... and that's the bug.

JRV only has 900 answers... The average person would need upwards of 20,000 answers before they'd get Proposed Answerer II. And how can you get 2,000 Proposed Answers with only 900 answers? So that's why there's no Proposed Answerer II medal.

That said, there is a way for the non-average person to work around that (teamwork) and to get the Proposed Answerer II with far less answers (I did it in about 1,000 or so answers). But I was trying to build teamwork around proposing and marking answers.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:24 AM
    Owner
  • I actually think that at least 50% of the answers I propose later will become actual answers. So, I think there must be a bug in the way forum counts these numbers as I think I have proposed around 10000 answers, so I am sure that out of these 10K at least 1K have been marked.

My blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:16 AM