Simple Photo Gallery in a few minutes... RRS feed

• General discussion

• I found an easy way to access pictures on the Windows Home Server from the Web.

Simply install the AlbumHandler from Bertrand Le Roy (http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2005/09/08/424714.aspx) inside the photo folder and create a Web-Application in IIS pointing to this directory. Then you can access and browse the pictures in all subdirectories automatically!

Have fun...

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:39 AM

All replies

• when I try to configure this under the remote Windows Web Server website, as a link, I get an error stating I do not have access.  How would I configure this to run as a link on the home server site?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:51 PM
  • Did you point the virtual directory to \\server\Photos or to D:\shares\Photos ?

When I point it to the network share I also get this message, otherwise not Smile

Maybe the default ASP user has no access to network places (even in fact that this is the local computer) ?

Greets

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:44 PM
  • The virtual directory points to D:\shares\Photos and I used the Web-Site Addin for WHS to have the link point to /Photos.

Thats all...

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:29 PM
  • when I do that I get this message:

You do not have permission to view this directory or page due to the access control list (ACL) that is configured for this resource on the Web server.

How do I fix this anyone?

EDIT:

I played with authentication and discovered that this message relates to an authentication issue between the anonymous web user and the fact that the folder containing the pictures (the share) also has its own NT credentials required to view it.  The anonymous web user does not have the NT cerdentials to view this folder.  How do I go about giving the web user access to this folder then?

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:27 PM
  • I have it working and dtv42 is 50% CORRECT ,it does take a few minutes.

I am not  home at this time and maybe dtv42 could post a more details on how he did it ,but the answer lies in the permission you give for the virtual directory and the folder (D:/shares/photos) also look at the users and the permissions

also if everthing is set up  correctly you have to logon using https://server/remote/photos/albulm.ashx or http://server/home/[photos/album.ashx  depending on where you placed your virtual directory.

server= your server name

photos= your new website name

please note :  album.ashx

I would try to log in to my server and look at the exact settings.

sorry I cannot be of more help now.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:08 AM
  • I pointed the Virtual Directory to D:\shares\Photos.  And that seems to work.  If I use \\server\photos, I get an error message which is probably due to permissions or something.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:50 AM
  • is it possible to add a link back to the WHS Home page from the picture website.

right now I have to click back untill i get back or close and log in again.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:53 PM
  • For those of us that know nothing about IIS, could someone post instructions on how to get this all set up?  Pretty please?  With sugar on top?
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 3:24 PM
  • Yea, I am a little lost as well.  Anyone?
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Check back later today for something that will make all this a hell of a lot easier...

Just a little bit of last minute testing to finish Smile

Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:35 PM
  •  

Andrew

are planning to create a wizard to implement this?

I have it working and I am willing to post some step by step , however i will wait to see what you come up with. You got my attention!!!!

Anyway can create a link back to the "homepage" or force the website to launch in a seperate window?

Thursday, June 7, 2007 9:29 PM
  • Andrew, thank you for your excellent plugin... However, how can I set-up the photo gallery using the custom web page your plugin created?  "Dropping" it in that folder and pointing the browser to default.aspx gives me compiler errors... Confused...

e.

Saturday, June 9, 2007 1:48 AM
  • Yeah , here's Andrews work so far. It's pretty sweet. Go to the last page and he includes the latest link with the latest version.

I have to do some reading to see how Dmitry;s photo gadget works but I bet we can get the two to swing together!

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1712362&SiteID=50&mode=1
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 6:51 PM
  • I've written up a quick guide that should help:

How to create a Windows Home Server Photo Album in minutes

Andrew
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Andrew

You are a man of you word!!!

This was much easier than configure IIS myself.

Good work.

Whats next?????

Saturday, June 9, 2007 8:51 PM
  • I told ya>>>LOL. Andrew's Add-in ROCKS!!
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 10:53 PM
  • Yes it sure does!

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you very much Andrew.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 12:20 AM
  • Nice one andrew!

Its perfect.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 3:52 PM
  • I'am sorry, but I have been pretty busy and could not spend more time on playing around with  Windows home server, but I want to add that I really like Andrew's stuff to make it even easier. Nice work - and creating photo galleries could be automated too...

I have told you it takes only a few minutes ;-)
    Monday, June 11, 2007 8:03 AM
  •  Andrew Grant wrote:
    I've written up a quick guide that should help:

How to create a Windows Home Server Photo Album in minutes

Andrew

Good write up!

Cheers,

Danee

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:59 PM
  •  Hi Andrew,

How to say, just fine and great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, June 11, 2007 4:32 PM
  • Hi Andrew. Just tried your photo gallery and it worked just as advertised. Here's a link to a few pix of my new deck.

http://gmcotton.pointclark.net:8008/deck/default.aspx

The best part is it's working even though it has to go through my firewall (which has its own web server). I set my firewall to forward port 8008 to port 80 on my WHS so I can have both web servers running concurrently. I would appreciate if people would let me know if it works OK.

Monday, July 16, 2007 11:13 PM
  • Hi Gcotton

I tried your link and it works great.

I have a just completed a similar project, so it must be something to do with the time of year!  In the UK, unfortunately we seem to have had about 2 months of almost unending rain, so no opportunity to get out & enjoy thre new deck. 

I hope you're having better luck.

Peter

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback Peter... good to know that people are able to access it. Sorry 'bout your weather. We've had quite a lot of rain this month, but we still had barbecued pork chops on the deck last night.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

I can't get access to your tutorial and would love to see it, but I get the message that your bandwidth was exceeded. Is there any other way that you can provide this? I would be very grateful.

Best regards,

Peter

Friday, August 1, 2008 11:14 AM