Activate Windows XP on HP system RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A friend has asked me to replace the motherboard in their HP system and reinstall the OS on it.  Sadly, HP no longer stock this board part, so I have to use an alternative vendor.

I have installed the motherboard but when I come to reinstall windows the HP OEM key printed on the side of the case is marked as invalid. Is there any way to use this key, or am I stuck with having to fork out for a new license?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 11:43 AM

Answers

• Hello Brizoh,

The product key on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the side of the case is a valid and genuine product key, however it has to be used with matching media.  If you try to use a mismatched installation disc, say, the disc that accompanies a full retail license for XP, you will get the error message when you try to enter the OEM product key early in Setup.  And of course the editions have to match too, IOW, if the CoA is for XP Home you have to use an XP Home disc to install.

In your case, you would need to acquire a systembuilder/small manufacturer/OEM installation disc to match the edition of XP listed on the CoA.  These are genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation discs and you know you have the right one when it reads "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer ofyour PC" in the upper left quadrant of the hologram.

After installation is complete, you will have to activate by Telephone.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hello Brizoh,

The product key on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the side of the case is a valid and genuine product key, however it has to be used with matching media.  If you try to use a mismatched installation disc, say, the disc that accompanies a full retail license for XP, you will get the error message when you try to enter the OEM product key early in Setup.  And of course the editions have to match too, IOW, if the CoA is for XP Home you have to use an XP Home disc to install.

In your case, you would need to acquire a systembuilder/small manufacturer/OEM installation disc to match the edition of XP listed on the CoA.  These are genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation discs and you know you have the right one when it reads "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer ofyour PC" in the upper left quadrant of the hologram.

After installation is complete, you will have to activate by Telephone.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Thanks for the response Dan.

I've tried an OEM version of XP Home but with no joy.  I guess I'm just going to have to fork out for a Windows 7 license... :/

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Hello Brizoh,

If you are doing a clean installation using a genuine MS hologrammed OEM installation disc for XP Home and the product key on the CoA that is for XP Home, and the product key is not being accepted by Setup, then there is only one explanation:  you are doing something wrong.

Note that in the font used on thw XP CoA, the letter "B" and the numeral "8" look almost the same and are often confused.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:13 PM