Remote Connection RRS feed

• Question

•  After looking for my issue, there seems to be a few like it but none exact, so here goes.

Here is a overview of my setup and what happens:

Locally

Connectivity as far as back ups, shares, managment consoles, all allow me to log in fine. The only thing locally that is giving me a hassle is Remote Desktop. All machines are running Vista Ultimate with Remote desktop enable and allowed. Any time I try to connect via remote desktop, or the admin console, I get a error message stating the following.

"The computer cannot connect to your home server.Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recenlty restarted,try again in a few minutes."

Externally

The same scenario applies if I am trying to access my systems or admin console via Remote Desktop outside of the network, I get the same above noted error. Everything elese as far as functionailty work fine.

If anyone has some suggestions please let me know, as everything appears to be configured properly.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:02 AM

Answers

•  Still Grey wrote:

From afar you need to have port 4125 , 80, and 443 pointed to your WHS

Still......Grey

Most ISP's block port 80 and sometimes port 443 for a typical home high speed internet connection.  I used to be a Data Engineer at a big cable company and I know for a fact we blocked port 80.  Most providers cite worms like "Code Red" as the reason for the block.  However, it also "encourages" home power users to switch to the more expensive business service where the port is unblocked.  Most savvy users, of course, just switch to another port like 81.

With that having been said, as soon as I get the software downloaded and installed, I will be looking for a way around the block.  I'll probably use PAT on my router to map another non-blocked port to port 80 on the WHS.  However, this isn't a good workaround for the average home user.  Is the team planning on doing anything to get around ISP-blocked ports?

Friday, March 9, 2007 4:49 AM

All replies

• One thing to clarify - you mention that management consoles allow you to login fine, but that the admin console gives you an error message. Do you mean using the Computer Management MMC snap-in works fine, but that the "Windows Home Server Console", accessed via the system tray, gives your the error that the system can't connect?

As far as RDP'ing to the server, are you just typing "server" (without the quotes) in your RDP textbox? Can you ping "server" from the command prompt? If it returns with an IP, can you try RDP'ing to the IP instead?

Are you using any kind of DNS other than the standard Linksys Router/Cable/DSL provided DNS? Some other folks in the forum have had DNS issues when running their own DNS on the network, I think.

And as for RDP, are you just typing 'mstsc' (without the quotes) in your run menu to launch remote desktop?  That's basic stuff, I know, but I'm trying to cover the bases. 

That's some things to look for first. Let me know if any of that helps, and maybe I can provide other suggestions.

Janssen
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:20 AM
  • Sorry If I may have been confusing. When I say managment console, I mean logging into the Adminstrator acessed via sys tray.

The means that I was trying to remote to the server was actaully logging in with my account and tryin to rd to the other pcs and it failed with that error as well as trying to log into the Admin console.

And as far as DNS I'm using no-ip to redirect to the server.

Hopefully a little more clear ?

Thanks for your reply and time.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:35 AM
  • Ahh... You're trying to connect to your PCs from the server.  I see.  So then the questions would be:

Are you using OneCare or Windows Firewall (or any other firewall) on the client PCs? Enabling RDP won't allow a machine to remotely connect until you also open the firewall port (3389).

Also, can you connect from your one client PC to your other client PC using standard RDP (MSTSC)?

Also, one other thing to check on a Vista box is to make sure that you've checked it to allow ALL versions of Windows.  If you don't only other Vista boxes can connect.  Let me know if any of that helps.

Janssen
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:46 AM
  • Did you enable Remote Desktop in Systemproperties? With the right usernames selected from the domain that should get access to your PC?

nvm.. read in your first post you already enabled them. as Janssen said: check if port 3389 is enabled.

Cyrillic

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:50 AM
  •  Ashley Oz wrote:

Sorry If I may have been confusing. When I say managment console, I mean logging into the Adminstrator acessed via sys tray.

The means that I was trying to remote to the server was actaully logging in with my account and tryin to rd to the other pcs and it failed with that error as well as trying to log into the Admin console.

And as far as DNS I'm using no-ip to redirect to the server.

I still don't quite undertand what's happening...

Are you trying to access the client PCs through "Remote Access" feature(which via web page)? If so, please double check whether you have configured your router in the right way, which is forward all the traffic on port 80,443 and 4125 to the home server.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 12:35 PM
  • Still..

If he tries to make a RD connection over the web, it still uses port 3389 since you will be promped to install an ActiveX, which will launch a new connection over port 3389..

basically all you do with the web interface is: you ask the website to launch MSTSC, if you have the Plugin installed it will be launched immediatly... if not, you will be promped to install the plugin. After the plugin is installed MSTSC will be launched for the appropriate server.

Cyrillic

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Ok Guys, thanks for all your help and input, I have everything configured as you suggested and I am half way there. I am able to access on of the PC's after adding port 3389, but still get the same error on the other, even with port 3389 allowed in the Windows firewall. The oc that is giving me the hard time has no other firewall invovled other then Windows. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all thus far who have provided help.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Okay from one pc to another on the internal lan can you do remote desktop to the other box?  There is no real advantage to using WHS for remote desktop internally

Still......Grey

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:14 PM
  • Do you also have to have the firewall forward port 3389 to the server?  I forwarded 4125, 80, and 443 to my server.  I can remotely connect and login to the server and my computer shows that it is available for connection, but once I try to do a remote connect to either the server or a client PC, I get the standard " Connecting to server..." but then after 10 seconds or so, I get a error box stating:  This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes" then it sends me back to the computers tab as nothing ever happened.

It could be because my company is blocking the remote desktop port on my local side( my home server is on my home local lan along with my client pc, and I am trying to connect to it from my work computer).  I haven't yet had a chance to test it from a computer somewhere else yet.  Does the rdp component that gets installed locally (on my work computer) use port 80 for all communications, or does it go to port 4125 when establishing RDP?  And if not, is there a way that it can tunnel through port 80 so I can access it from work (along with several other corporate employees) as well?

Additionally, I can only connect from my company through https:// instead of http://

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:51 PM
  • It might be that your ISP is blocking some ports.  If you know you have ports open run Shields UP from http://www.grc.com and see if those ports are open.  If they are stealth and you have port forwarding enabled your ISP must be blocking those ports.  I know mine blocks a few common server ports along with the Windows File Sharing Ports.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:06 AM
  • The RDP connection needs port 4125 from the client to your WHS with nothing in the way. It doesn't try to tunnel through your HTTP proxy if one is defined, unfortunately.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Do you know if the 4125 tcp is configurable?  I would like to move it to a port that would be usable outside our company firewall.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:30 PM
  • Has anyone resolved this issue. I have had the same issue over the past week since I installed my WHS. I have done all I can, I have even put up post on the forum and no luck yet. I have even reset my router all over again thinking the router has issue, I even bought a new router to try and I think whats stopping RDP within and outside is the Connector software.

Any help will be appreciated.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 12:08 PM
  •  Arkitekt wrote:

Has anyone resolved this issue. I have had the same issue over the past week since I installed my WHS. I have done all I can, I have even put up post on the forum and no luck yet. I have even reset my router all over again thinking the router has issue, I even bought a new router to try and I think whats stopping RDP within and outside is the Connector software.

Any help will be appreciated.

Can you give us more details? Can you RDP to your WHS from Remote Access, locally and remotely? Can you directly Remote Desktop to WHS and Client PC locally?

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 7:54 AM
  • Sure !

I can get to WHS server remotely, meaning I can use my admin  password and RDP into the WHS console. Locally I can get to WHS to thru the connector. I can ping all printers routers but can not to any of the PCs that seems to have the Connector installed.

I can not rdp to any machines locally oe remoley to any of my pc's, I have checked every setting i have found. I have also tried to ping my three pc's and intrestinglt I can't ping to them to. I have ip addresses assigned to each pc.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 1:30 PM
  •  Arkitekt wrote:
    I can get to WHS server remotely, meaning I can use my admin  password and RDP into the WHS console.

Can you clarify this?  ("console" can be interpreted in two ways in this context.)  Do you mean:

1. You can connect remotely using IE and the WHS web interface that brings up the WHS Console application.
    2. You can connect remotely using the Remote Desktop client that brings up a console session on your WHS machine
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 4:41 PM
  •  

Can you clarify this?  ("console" can be interpreted in two ways in this context.)  Do you mean:

1. You can connect remotely using IE and the WHS web interface that brings up the WHS Console application. Yes 
    2. You can connect remotely using the Remote Desktop client that brings up a console session on your WHS machine No

To further clarfiy this I cab get to the WHS console internally using connector software, externally I use the ie and get get to the WHS console. However I can get to any of my pc remotely using IE as well as internally using RDP.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 12:37 AM
  •  Arkitekt wrote:
    To further clarfiy this I cab get to the WHS console internally using connector software, externally I use the ie and get get to the WHS console. However I can get to any of my pc remotely using IE as well as internally using RDP.

I'm getting lost trying to understand the problem.  Did you mean to say "However I can not get to any of my pc remotely using IE as well as internally using RDP."?

If this is the problem, then it's an RDP issue inside your network.  First, make sure that your PCs support being an RDP server (XP Professional, Vista Ultimate, etc.)  XP Home can only be a RDP client, not a server.  If that's OK, make sure that remote desktop is enabled and that the firewall on the machine you're trying to reach allows RDP, the remote desktop protocol.

Just for a sanity check, try to RDP into your WHS locally.  This should work from any XP/Vista client and the WHS server supports it by default.

Good luck.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:31 AM
  •  Arkitekt wrote:

Sure !

I can get to WHS server remotely, meaning I can use my admin  password and RDP into the WHS console. Locally I can get to WHS to thru the connector. I can ping all printers routers but can not to any of the PCs that seems to have the Connector installed.

I can not rdp to any machines locally oe remoley to any of my pc's, I have checked every setting i have found. I have also tried to ping my three pc's and intrestinglt I can't ping to them to. I have ip addresses assigned to each pc.

Thanks

A few things you can try:

1. Check if the firewall on the client opens port 3389 for Remote Desktop. If you can't ping your client, it's likely they have the firewall on.

2. If your client PC has vista installed, select "Allow connection from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)" in Remote Desktop options.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 3:27 AM
  •  Still Grey wrote:

Still......Grey

Most ISP's block port 80 and sometimes port 443 for a typical home high speed internet connection.  I used to be a Data Engineer at a big cable company and I know for a fact we blocked port 80.  Most providers cite worms like "Code Red" as the reason for the block.  However, it also "encourages" home power users to switch to the more expensive business service where the port is unblocked.  Most savvy users, of course, just switch to another port like 81.

With that having been said, as soon as I get the software downloaded and installed, I will be looking for a way around the block.  I'll probably use PAT on my router to map another non-blocked port to port 80 on the WHS.  However, this isn't a good workaround for the average home user.  Is the team planning on doing anything to get around ISP-blocked ports?

Friday, March 9, 2007 4:49 AM