Database Repair Wizard Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I've been runnng WHS 2011 without significant trouble for about six months, using it to back up several wired and wireless LAN computers. Three days ago backup failed to run successfully for one client computer; the others all succeeded. I now have a critical error alert on the server, and cannot run any backups until that is cleared. I have run the "client database repair wizard" a number of times. Each time, after 6-8 hours, the wizard stops and says it was unable to repair the backup database and that I should "start all services" and try again.

I don't know which services should be running; none are flagged as "stopped". I've manually started essentially all services, then re-run the repair wizard. The results are the same. I've run the Windows Explorer disk diagnostics on the server and found no errors.

Can anyone suggest a way to fix the backup database and get the server back in business?

Chuck Calvin -- cdcalvin@hotmail.com

Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:18 AM

All replies

• Run chkdsk for each of the disks connected to your server, including the backup disk. Then try the database repair wizard again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Edited by Ken Warren Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:06 PM
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I ran chkdsk on both the WHS system drive and the WHS data drive. No errors found. I've run the database repair wizard again, and get the same message: "The wizard did not complete successfully. Backup repair did not succeed. An unknown error prevented the backup repair process from starting. Make sure tht all services are running and then try again."

The error message may not be accurate. The repair process ran for about 8 hours before the message appeared; maybe it tried to start for that long, but I suspect it did start and just failed to finish. The only services that are not running are those that seem unlikely to be involved, e.g. module installation services and things like that.

Any other suggestions for how I recover the backup database?

Monday, September 17, 2012 11:47 AM
  • Hi Chuck, is there any other information if you click View details in Repair backups section in dashboard? You can also check if there is any related event error in Event Log.

Thanks.

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:42 AM