Restoring a backup into Money RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I can't be the only one driven nuts by this. We have been making backups everytime our money has been done and backed them up to a removeable drive.

Windows has crashed on my laptop so I installed Microsoft Money (updated for 2005 on sticker on the box) again. It's the same CD we have been using for years, I am not even trying to import a backup from another version.

Every time without fail when I try and restore our .mbf file, it says it's not recognised. I know there is an update option via tools and I have run that with no luck or help.

What file extention does microsoft money need to restore an old backup, .mbf or .mny? When I do a restore, what file does it want? Do I need a .mny file to do a restore, or should a .mbf file work? The instructions you are asked to do when clicking on restore are so confusing, and I work in IT tech help, if I don't get it, lord knows who does.

This has driven me mad with frustration today, please help ! This is a totally inflexible piece of software that seems determined to make things very difficult for anyone that uses it.

Thank you for any help.

Monday, November 8, 2010 5:18 PM

Answers

• All you need is kkk.mny.

If you find your Money data file file damaged when opening it you can restore the previous 201010.bkf backup file. The .bkf file is older data in a different format.

With Vista and Windows 7 the usual Money update procedure does not have sufficient privileges to update the files in the Program Files area. Money must be launched with administrative privileges - Run as administrator - to let the upgrade take place.

Your procedure is correct. If you are connected to the internet and launch with Run as administrator the program update will take place automatically. You do not need to ask for it.

• Marked as answer by UKGENT Monday, November 8, 2010 8:11 PM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I have two files a 201010.mbf file and  a kkk.mny file, are you saying I only need the latter? By the way,k was the first letter my finger found, I'm not a racist !

Can you confirm a couple of things for me -

What is the purpose of the .mbf file, just curious?

I am going to have to reinstall Windows Vista, so after that I will install Microsoft Money. I can then find my shortcut and Run As Adminstrator, this all I get.

It makes plenty of sense that it needs the updates, but I have tried using Tools - Update (connected to the net), after I have got to the home page, and tried after that and it still didn't work) - it did say that it completed the upgrade. Is there any other update I should be doing or looking for after I have got there ? 

I may not, however, have done it the way you suggest. Is this the way I should do it, in order -

Reinstall Windows Vista

Load in Microsoft Money (2005 update)

Get my kkk.mny file and save it to My Documents (I presume 201010.mbf us of no use?)

Find the short cut and right-click and Run As Administrator.

This will presumably launch the program. Now does that apply the updates doing that  launch or do I need to get to 'Home' and then go to Tools>Update

Confirming or denying the order above will help me imensely,and reduce my stress levels.

Thank you

Monday, November 8, 2010 7:52 PM
  • All you need is kkk.mny.

If you find your Money data file file damaged when opening it you can restore the previous 201010.bkf backup file. The .bkf file is older data in a different format.

With Vista and Windows 7 the usual Money update procedure does not have sufficient privileges to update the files in the Program Files area. Money must be launched with administrative privileges - Run as administrator - to let the upgrade take place.

Your procedure is correct. If you are connected to the internet and launch with Run as administrator the program update will take place automatically. You do not need to ask for it.

• Marked as answer by UKGENT Monday, November 8, 2010 8:11 PM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Hi

Once again, may thanks for the swift and clear response.

So, just to confirm, I don't need to go to Tools>Upate? Where abouts will I see 14.0.120.1105. so I know it's been updatedand how/or will I know the update has been applied?

What is 201010.bkf, is that the 201010.mbf?

Finally, before I leave you alone and try it, if after running as administrator,getting to home of Microsoft Money, and trying to restore kkk.mny file, if that fails, am I in trouble or do I have any other options, or are you 100% sure the exact procedure you outlined will work?

Many thanks and that should be enough for now !

Monday, November 8, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Confirming or denying the order above will help me imensely,and reduce my stress levels.

Do not open your existing file right after installation. Instead open Sample.mny or a new file. That will allow updates over the internet to occur. Note that the update servers are going away, so be glad this came up now rather than in February. Prepare now. 

Monday, November 8, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Hi Cal

Thank you for your input, that's brilliant.

How do I create a sample.mny please, that would be fantastic to know how to do that. Can I do it manually or do I need to create something in Word, if the latter, how do I do that please.

Thank you so much for all your help so far.

Monday, November 8, 2010 8:52 PM
  • How do I create a sample.mny please, that would be fantastic to know how to do that. Can I do it manually or do I need to create something in Word, if the latter, how do I do that pleaseA.

After installation, Sample.mny will be in the install folder.

Typically that would be "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005"

Never put your own *.mny or *.mbf files with within C:\Program Files\  but sample.mny will work there for this purpose of letting updates download. If you wanted to experiment with the file, you could copy it to your Documents folder, and play with the copy.

After your new installationworks, make sure you visit the link that DominicP posted, and carefully follow its process.

Monday, November 8, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Hi

I finally got around to doing this tonight, and here is where I am at -

Loaded on a Windows 7 machine

copied Sample.mny into Documents

Right-clicked on Run As Adminstrator, and successfully restored Sample.mny

Great news, think I'm there however.......

Go to Restore backup again

Locate the file myself and under a box called Restore, I select my kkk.mny file

Then, and this is now the bit knocking my stress levels through the roof,

Please choose the location where you want to restore the file

What does that mean, I just want to restore the file to money, why have I got to choose the location, i just want that file processed into money

For the sake of following this through and seemingly doing what it wants, next to file name I write in something like dandy (I'm in My Documents still) then click OK

And every time I get this idiotic message -

Money cannot locate c:\users\****\Documents\dandy or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your dick drive is write-protected.

If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent backup file.

If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other application and click OK to try again,

Clickin ok does zero, nothing but take me to the sample data in money. What I do not understand is this

Money cannot locate c:\users\****\Documents\dandy or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your dick drive is write-protected.

What on earth does that mean, why does it not just restore my kkk.mny when it asks earlier what file do you want to restore. I'm sure I am not understanding this bit -

Please choose the location where you want to restore the file

What does that mean, I just want to restore the file to money, why have I got to choose the location, i just want that file processed into money

For the sake of following this through and seemingly doing what it wants, next to file name I write in something like dandy (I'm in My Documents still) then click OK

Please help, I may cry very soon. I've got my sample file in, how do I get my actual kkk.mny file in now, surely it should be so simple !

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Also, and this may help, I cannot see what version I am running, where can I find this information?

After updating, the version of Money should be shown as 14.0.120.1105.

One other piece of information that may help it says Microsoft Money 2004 on the file, so it may not be Microsoft Money 2005 and the box suggested it was.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:49 PM
  •  

If using the *.mbf backup file, the reason that you would want to specify the location for the file to get restored to would be that the old location may not exist in the new computer. It is best to Browse to your Documents folder and pick a file name for the restore.

If instead of using the *.mbf file, you use the *.mny file, just copy that file to your Documents folder. After you have upgraded Money, you can then open that file with either File->Open in Microsoft Money, or by double-clicking the *.mny file in Windows Explorer.

To see the version number after installing, click Help->About. The version for money 2004 is 12 or 12.something.

The unpatched Microsoft Money 2005 is 14.0.*.910

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Thank you for your patience but I am rapidly losing mine, this is so ridiculous.

Ok, I saved my kkk.mny file into My Documents (right click properties, Read Only is off)

I opened Money

Clicked on File>Open

Located that file

Now get

Money will convert your file so that you can work with it in this version (Hurray, I was genuinely excited)

First Money will make a copy of your origional file C:\Documents and Settings\Customer\My Documents\kkk.mny

This will upgdrae your file to the new version of Money (Brilliant, thank god we are there)

Click 'Next>' (Yes, here we go !)

Money cannot locate C:\Documents and Settings\Customer\My Documents\kkk.mny or cannot open it, possibly because it is read-only etc ........

I am going to kill myself soon if this doesn't work, why is this sooooo hard !!!

Any ideas guys, I am very computer literate and follow everything said, why is it refusing to drop this cannot open it stuff?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:37 PM
  • You may have used a CD or DVD to carry the file. The file may have been marked as Read-only as a result. Right click the file in Windows Explorer, and choose Properties on the General tab. Un-tick Read-only at the bottom, and then click OK.

See if Money likes your file then.

Mystery stuff: you did not say what File->Help in Money reported as the version. Based on what you have posted, I infer you are running XP on the computer.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Hi

My laptop will be out of the window in a minute ! I do everything you very helpful guys tell me and every time I get the same inane read-only message.

The file is saved in my downloads file (right-clicked on it and read-only is unticked), right click on kkk.mny file inside that folder and read-only is unticked, get to the part where it says About Upgrading your Money File

Click next and exactly same nonsense again about it possibly being read-only, or you do not have permission to change it.....

I am testing this on my Windows 7 machine in which I am the admistrator, have full access as far as I can see and its not read-only.

I am also testing it on a Windows XP machine and same result.

With regards to File>Help, there is no option for that when I open it. Under File is New, Open, Convert Quicken File, Password Manager, Back up, Restore Backup, Archive, Repair Money File, Import, Export to Tax Saver, Export, Print Setup, Print Cheques, Send To, Close

If I click on Help (the menu) I get Microsoft Money Help f1, Money Online Support, Money Glossary, Order Cheques, Privacy Statement, About Microsoft Money

Ah found it! Version 14.0.120.730

Which is not the one stated above, does it update to the correct one when the file is suppused to convert or is there a way to force that update in. I genuinely follwed all rules above about right-click run as administrator and loaded in the Sample.mny. Any reason why it never updated to the number shown above?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:12 PM
  • The file was carried by a removable drive, but as I say, it says read-only unticked whenever I look at the file.

I am becoming more convinced that something think it's not read-only, but I have no idea why. Is that why it hasn't updated to -

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Some succes at last hopefully, wow what a release !!

Ok, this is what I have done to get it working, and just one thing I did that I may have misunderstood earlier.

Right-clicked and opened as Run As Administrator

No updates seemed to happen and that About menu said it was an older version, so everytime I opened it I kept doing that right-click option.

However, I decided to just double-click it and open it, and volia 'it said updates will be applied '

They were and now I have my file in it and have seen it working on there.

Thank you all for your help and patience. The error messages are so stupid and make no sense, but I guess it is prompted by the lack of the update. Quite how it can post an error saying 'read-only' problem every time when it's not that error is the thing that is so irritating. If only when you get to that stage it said 'You need to get the updates to make this file work' and then some instructions would make everybodies life easier.

Anyway, thank you all for your help and apologies if I misunderstood what the gentleman said at the earlier stage, I thought I had to see something on the right-click administrator first before I launched it normally.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Congratulations. Here are some comments in retrospect.

You should not have attempted to access your Money file with Money 2005 until you had version 14.0.120.1105. Before that, you should have only tried working with Sample.mny or a new file.

I think part of the deal is that you were trying to restore from *.mbf to a place ("C:\Documents and Settings\Customer\My Documents\") that does not exist in your new Windows 7 computer. Instead for restore, you would have done Browse to the Documents folder rather than installing to the previous default location. Using your kkk.mny file did not have that problem.

Take a break, but make sure you make and guard that installation disk in case you need to reinstall in the future.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:42 PM
  • I'm in the same boat!  I upgraded to new PC running W7 Pro so I could use the XP Mode.  I installed MS Money 2000 Deluxe and get the same results as the OP.

My old XP PC has MS Money V9 and I have V8 on the new install.  I've followed the procedure outlined above but it doesn't update or am I just asking too much??

EDIT:

Wondering was version started with MS Money 2005?  If it was higher than V9, it's possible that my .mny files would load into it??

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:03 AM
  • I have been running Money 2002 for years. I had to restore my Windows 7 laptop and money was only restored to 2011. I do a backup every time I exit Money on an external disk and my weekly back also backs up Money. My restore will not work - am I restoring mny files or something else? This has been so frustrating as my mny files are labelled as mny, mny2 and mny3 but I can only restore one and none of them seem to be the correct one.

How do I get my backups to work please? And in layman's terms.

Thanks.

Sunday, November 13, 2016 5:18 PM
  • I have been running Money 2002 for years. I had to restore my Windows 7 laptop and money was only restored to 2011. I do a backup every time I exit Money on an external disk and my weekly back also backs up Money. My restore will not work - am I restoring mny files or something else? This has been so frustrating as my mny files are labelled as mny, mny2 and mny3 but I can only restore one and none of them seem to be the correct one.

How do I get my backups to work please? And in layman's terms.

Thanks.

Money Backup files are *.mbf  files.

Copy the backup you want to use from your external drive to your Documents folder. Close Money. In Windows Explorer (File Explorer), select the *.mbf file and choose Open. That should open Money.

During the process, do not take the default location and filename, but instead Browse (its a button you should see) and go to the folder that you want the restored *.mny file restored to. If you choose the same place and name as the existing file, it will overwrite that file.

That's it for the restore. However before closing, set up the backup folders and filenames. I think this is right for Money 2002 (the settings changed for Money 2005 and later):

In Tools->Settings->BackupOptions, for your upon-exit backup file,
    Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a filename for your
    backup; the file location remembered from your old file probably
    does not exist on the new computer.  I suggest you plug in a USB
    flash drive, and Browse to that for the location for your scheduled
    backup.

Review your backup policies.  Periodically copy your newest *.mbf
    file to other media, in case your hard drive fails or your Money
    file gets corrupted somehow.  You don't want to overwrite your only
    good backup file by backing up a corrupted Money file over it.

Note that earlier versions of Money will not write to a USB flash drive that has more than 2 GB of free space.

Sunday, November 13, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Thanks for your help. I did that, but I have 3 .mbf (would my backup go onto more than one file?) files and 3 .mny files. It doesn't matter which .mbf file I try to use they are all only showing to 2011.

Why won't Money write to a flash drive bigger than 2GB?

Monday, November 14, 2016 1:34 PM
  • Thanks for your help. I did that, but I have 3 .mbf (would my backup go onto more than one file?) files and 3 .mny files. It doesn't matter which .mbf file I try to use they are all only showing to 2011.

Why won't Money write to a flash drive bigger than 2GB?

The files all have a date and a time recorded. If you don't see the time, you can change the View in Windows Explorer/ File Explorer to Details.  If you have the view as Icons, you can right-click the icon, and choose Properties. That woul show the date and time for an individual file. Details shows it all at once.

The scheduled backup was originally intended for a floppy disk, but it would work for flash drives when they came along. Earlier flash drives were not as big as 2 GB. Money Plus, including Sunset, fixed that bug. Incidentally, Money 2006 and later (including Sunset) can create multiple (configurable 0 to 99) backups where the date and time are incorporated in the filename. The default is to keep the latest 4 of the upon-exit and the scheduled backups.

However Money 2002 will work well for you. It was less online-dependent than 2005 and later. You need to take care to create your multiple backups manually, which it appears that you have successfully done.

Monday, November 14, 2016 1:50 PM
  • All 3 .mbf files have the same date and time. Each file is not quite the same size. It doesn't matter which one I choose to restore from the info is the same. I'm not sure what size the flash drive is and maybe that's why it's only backed up to 2011? Would that also be true with my weekly computer back up to an external drive?

Monday, November 14, 2016 1:59 PM
  • All 3 .mbf files have the same date and time. Each file is not quite the same size. It doesn't matter which one I choose to restore from the info is the same. I'm not sure what size the flash drive is and maybe that's why it's only backed up to 2011? Would that also be true with my weekly computer back up to an external drive?

You would have gotten an error message that the drive was full if that happened. You would have noticed that.

I suggest that you do a search on your hard drive for later Money files. You can use a command window and run these two commands:

dir \*.mny /s

dir \*.mbf /s

I like a search program called Agent Ransack. Yes, unusual name. But it will search the drive faster than the command window method and give easier-to-read results. Both the command window method and Agent Ransack will do a complete search, where the Windows search could miss something.

Monday, November 14, 2016 2:10 PM
  • Can I open Money with .mny files or do I have to use .mbf files?

I will definitely run Agent Ransack to look for the latest files.

Monday, November 14, 2016 2:36 PM
  • Can I open Money with .mny files or do I have to use .mbf files?

You can open Money with either. If the *.mny file is newer, try that first.
    Monday, November 14, 2016 6:29 PM
  • Again my .mny files are labeled as *.mny, *.mny2, *.mny3 and they all have the same date and time?

Why do I have so many files with the same date and time?

Monday, November 14, 2016 6:37 PM
  • Money does not make files with *.mny2 or *.mny3 extension. Do you mean that you have a file called mny2.mbf maybe?

If you have files with *.mny2 or *.mny3 extensions, you did that manually, unless you have some backup software that did that.

Monday, November 14, 2016 6:42 PM
  • Now I'm really confused as to where these other files came from, and they aren't even the same size.

Do you know anything about the attached "fix" tool and if so will it help me?

Computer Support

<!-- ---------------- Contents ---------------- -->            

Support for Windows Products

Home > Support > Fix MS Money Backup Restore Problem

How To Fix MS Money Backup Restore Problem

If you have MS Money Backup Restore Problem then we strongly recommend that you

Symptoms & Summary

• MS Money Backup Restore Problem appears and crashes the active program window.
    • Your PC frequently crashes with MS Money Backup Restore Problem when running the same program.
    • Windows runs sluggishly and responds slowly to mouse or keyboard input.
    • Your computer periodically “freezes” for a few seconds at a time.

MS Money Backup Restore Problem and other critical errors can occur when your Windows operating system becomes corrupted. Opening programs will be slower and response times will lag. When you have multiple applications running, you may experience crashes and freezes. There can be numerous causes of this error including excessive startup entries, registry errors, hardware/RAM decline, fragmented files, unnecessary or redundant program installations and so on.                                                    

Resolution

In order to fix your error, it is recommended that you download the  This is an advanced optimization tool that can repair all the problems that are slowing your computer down. You will also dramatically improve the speed of your machine when you address all the problems just mentioned.

Recommended: In order to repair your system and MS Money Backup Restore Problem, download and run Reimage. This repair tool will locate, identify, and fix thousands of Windows errors. Your computer should also run faster and smoother after using this software.

File Size                               746 KB

Compatible                               Windows XP, Vista, 7 (32/64 bit), 8 (32/64 bit), 8.1 (32/64 bit) Windows 10 (32/64 bit)

Downloads                               361,927

There are many reasons why MS Money Backup Restore Problem                        happen, including having malware, spyware, or programs not installing properly. You can have all kinds of system conflicts, registry errors, and Active X errors. Reimage specializes in Windows repair. It scans and diagnoses, then repairs, your damaged PC with technology that not only fixes your Windows Operating System, but also reverses the damage already done with a full database of replacement files.

A FREE Scan (approx. 5 minutes) into your PC's Windows Operating System detects problems divided                        into 3 categories - Hardware, Security and Stability. At the end of the scan, you can review your PC's Hardware, Security and Stability in comparison with a worldwide average. You can review a summary of the problems detected during your scan. Will Reimage fix my MS Money Backup Restore Problem problem? There's no way to tell without running the program. The state of people's computers varies wildly, depending on the different specs and software they're running, so even if reimage could fix MS Money Backup Restore Problem on one machine doesn't necessarily mean it will fix it on all machines. Thankfully it only takes minutes to run a scan and see what issues Reimage can detect and fix.

Monday, November 14, 2016 6:51 PM
  • I would be *very* skeptical myself. So no, I don't know anything about that tool.

There is a repair tool for *.mny files, but not *.mbf files. You have a version on your machine in the Money install folder: salv.exe

There is also a later version available, but it may not be better  for you.

Monday, November 14, 2016 6:57 PM
  • If I run the salv.exe will it fix my .mny files if they are corrupt?
    Monday, November 14, 2016 8:37 PM
  • If you can restore your latest available .mny file, either from the external disk or your weekly backup, you can launch Money 2002 and select File-Open. Restoring from a backup is not required.

Did you ever check that your Money exit backup created a file of about the expected size with the correct creation date and time? Or that you could recover a .mny file or any other file type from your weekly backup?

If you cannot recover data, either because the backups did not work as expected or at all or the backup file is corrupted and unusable, you will not be the first. Whatever your backup routine, you need to check from time to time both that the backups have been made and that it is possible to recover files from them.

If the .mny files you have only restore to 2011 I think you will find that their creation date is 2011 and your backups have not been working since those files were created. When did you purchase your Windows 7 laptop? If it was in 2011 and you assumed that previous (Windows XP?) settings would just work that could be the cause of your problems.

Monday, November 14, 2016 11:30 PM
  • My backup of Money is on a 1GB USB stick so why would it only backup to 2011?

I did a search for .mny files and this is what I found: The file on my external is 7MB but still only has the same info?

It seems like I can't add an image - can I send it to you directly?

Thursday, November 17, 2016 12:44 PM
  • Either Money 2002 was set to back up to a location which did not exist or Windows 7 did not have permission to write to the location. Whichever it was, the backups did not take place as you expected. Was your 1GB USB stick set as Read Only?

Check the file creation date for the backup you have in its File Properties. I expect it was in 2011.

Money 2002 would have expected your .mny data file to be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money by default but you should have changed the file location to C:\Users\<username>\Documents to be sure Windows 7 had all the permissions it needed. What was the location of the .mny file you were using? Perhaps you were using a file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money but your external backup was backing up a different file in C:\Users\<username>\Documents.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:42 PM
  • I will have to check the USB stick - don't have it with me at the moment.

My .mny file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money, should I move it to C:\Users\<username>\Documents?

Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:58 PM

I did a search for .mny files and this is what I found: The file on my external is 7MB but still only has the same info?

Did you do a search for .mbf files? Don't get too excited if you find one. A restore also creates a big .mbf file.

Money 2002 always backed up to the same place unless you changed the setting. So if you opened an old .mny, and if you had the program set to back up automatically on exit, it would overwrite your only good backup. With Money 2002, you can handle this with some intervention. I would be glad to described that feature not. It won't get an overwritten backup back.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Yes, move it to C:\Users\<username>\Documents.

The Program Files and Program Files (x86) areas in Windows 7 and later are protected areas with limited User access and default permissions which may restrict or prevent backup and other actions.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:10 PM
  • Yes, move it to C:\Users\<username>\Documents.

The Program Files and Program Files (x86) areas in Windows 7 and later are protected areas with limited User access and default permissions which may restrict or prevent backup and other actions.

Good call. I had figured that in that case there would be a *.mny or *.mbf in the virtual store, and the dir commands above would have turned that up. So I did not pursue that.

I also should have said to make sure that the "Search Subfolders" was ticked on Agent Ransack.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:28 PM

Did you do a search for .mbf files? Don't get too excited if you find one. A restore also creates a big .mbf file.

Money 2002 always backed up to the same place unless you changed the setting. So if you opened an old .mny, and if you had the program set to back up automatically on exit, it would overwrite your only good backup. With Money 2002, you can handle this with some intervention. I would be glad to described that feature not. It won't get an overwritten backup back.

Once I get my Money restored to where I want it I would be really appreciative of help in making sure my backup is writing correctly and not overwriting.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:22 PM
  • If I move .mny to C:\Users\<username>\Documents will it still open when I click on the Money icon on my desktop?
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:23 PM
  • Once I get my Money restored to where I want it I would be really appreciative of help in making sure my backup is writing correctly and not overwriting.

After making your changes, I would check to make sure the backups are going where they should. I no longer have earlier version of Money running. I wanted to put something about browsing to the folders where you back up to rather than typing in the path, because it is easy to mis-type. When you get a new computer or reinstall Windows, the old paths may not exist. So that is something else to check on.

See the two asterisks including the last paragraph of the backup procedure below:

============================================

For Money 2002, in Tools->Options->Backup
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
      x Prompt me before backing up each time*
      x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
    latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
    CDR. This can be a copy and paste operation.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
    backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
    floppy. Earlier versons of Money cannot back up to a removable
    drive, such as a USB flash drive, unless there is 2 GB or less of
    free space (bug).

*  This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
    occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money160211.
    Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
    .mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
    choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
    simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.
    If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to
    Postpone.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:46 PM
  • I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
    backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
    floppy. Earlier versons of Money cannot back up to a removable
    drive, such as a USB flash drive, unless there is 2 GB or less of
    free space (bug).

I was backing up to a USB stick that is only 1GB and it obviously wasn't working. I'll check all the setups tonight.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:54 PM
  • The default is for Money to open the last file used.

The first time, you will need to go File - Open and navigate to the new file location.

Be sure to move - Cut and Paste - the file, not Copy it

Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Once I get my Money restored to where I want it I would be really appreciative of help in making sure my backup is writing correctly and not overwriting.

Any backups created by Money 2002 will overwrite previous backups. Money 2002 cannot create a series of backups.

Your weekly backup depends on the software you use.

In both cases, check from time to time:

• that backup files are created
    • that the file sizes and creation dates are as expected
    • that you can restore/recover your data from the backups.
    Note that both Windows and your backup software will be updated from time to time and the updates might cause problems.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:14 PM