dell oem windows vista RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am wanting to install another motherboard in my dell system that will allow for more expandability and fix a twitchy system. Before I do this I want to make sure that my copy of vista will work will be able to be validated when I do a clean install with a non dell motherboard. Thanks
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:15 AM

Answers

• A Dell OEM version of Windows will only activate when installed on the original Dell motherboard it came with.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Hello awsmv6,

The OEM copy of Vista, that come with a computer, is only licensed to run on that computer and is not allowed to be moved to a new computer.

A computer is defined by it's motherboard. If a new motherboard is installed into a computer then a "New" computer is created and the OEM Vista would not be licensed to run on that new computer.

The only exception to this rule is when a new motherboad is installed by The Original Computer Manufacturer due to warranty support.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:32 PM

All replies

• A Dell OEM version of Windows will only activate when installed on the original Dell motherboard it came with.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Hello awsmv6,

The OEM copy of Vista, that come with a computer, is only licensed to run on that computer and is not allowed to be moved to a new computer.

A computer is defined by it's motherboard. If a new motherboard is installed into a computer then a "New" computer is created and the OEM Vista would not be licensed to run on that new computer.

The only exception to this rule is when a new motherboad is installed by The Original Computer Manufacturer due to warranty support.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:32 PM