Protect Home/work Activities Stuck on FAIR RRS feed

• Question

• After the update, my Live One Care is now stuck in Yellow/Fair condition becase of the Protect Home or Work Zone Activities. The button that says: "Protect Activities" is there but it does nothing when I click on it.  How do I get back to a Good Status???    Thanks!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:09 PM

Answers

• I found a fix on page 9, posted by blueshot, and modified by sugardx that works on Ultimate or Business editions of Vista, not Home Basic or Home Premium.

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Right click "Administrators"
    >>Click "Add to group..."
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Double click "Local Service"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Close Computer Management and reboot.

Then another fix from Scott on the next page that applies to *all* version of Vista:

From command prompt as administrator :

(Start, type cmd, right click command.exe in the results list and select, "Run as administrator.")

net localhost Administrators /add Local Service

then do a :

net localhosts Administrator

and NT Local Service should be listed.  Reboot and all is well.

Completely fizxed my problem - I can go into network and sharing center without hangs and I can change network options - Oh Boy !!!

I did NOT run the WMI fix detailed below and all seems to work fine!!!

Good Luck!!

Further down the page many people reported that Scott's fix required starting the computer in Safe Mode. Reboot the PC and before Windows starts, press F8 and select Safe Mode from the list of startup options.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:24 PM

All replies

• I don't know why the button doesn't work, and you may want to contact support for help with that, but if you Open OneCare and click on Change Settings, on the Firewall Tab, click the Configure Button to set your Network to be Home or Work (or public, if you are on a public network).

If you need more help, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 1:24 PM
  • I just had the same exact problem, can you help me if you have any new info.Thanks.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:12 PM
  •  ldmercer2 wrote:
    I just had the same exact problem, can you help me if you have any new info.Thanks.

Did you follow the steps in my previous reply?

You need to identify your network as "home or work" by clicking Configure Network on the Firewall tab.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Yes, but like the previous person on this thread it is greyed out and wont let me do anything I contacted support they gave me this message:

1. Open windows live one care and click change settings

2. on the firewall tab click configure firewall

3.make sure home or work is the location

4.if it does not change, let's click ok, and click advanced settings

5. on the network connectionstab, make sure all zones are selected as home or work

I tried all these things and they are greyed out to where I cannot choose. I have never had so many problems with things as I have when I got Vista.Maybe the above steps will help others.

I sent my reply back to support but have not heard from them yet.

Thank you

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:34 PM
  • On step 5, on the network connections tab, what do you actually see? Are there multiple connections shown with a green icon next to them, indicating that they are active? What do these connections show? In fact, list them out for me as follows (this is mine)

-------------------------------------------

Network            Status              Zone

Work NJ           Connected        Home or work

Marvel Yukon...(this is my ethernet adapter)

AT&T Bluetooth Not Connected  Public Place

disconnected

Home wired      Not Connected  Home or Work

disconnected

Dial-up             Not Connected   Public Place

disconnected

----------------------------------------

On yours, are more than one shown as Connected?

Do you have any shown as "unidentified network" that are connected?

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Nothing is in that box and the only button I can hit is restore defaults, that is my last response to support asking them if I should hit that, but have not heard back yet.

Thank You.

Lori

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Hmmm....

Let's try another approach.

Since this is Vista, let's look at the Network and Sharing Center.

Click the Orb and then Network. In the Explorer window that appears, click on Network and Sharing Center on the toolbar.

What is the current connection shown as? You can click "customize" if it is shown as "unknown" or "Public" and change it to Private, as well as give it a name.

Is more than one active connection shown?

What is your network connection? That is, how are you connected to the Internet?

-steve

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:47 PM
  • My connection is high speed cable.

I did what you suggested, I did not change anything but wanted to let you know what it said.When I went to network &sharing center in the box underneath the title was a picture of a computer beside it says Unknown Server execution failed

Then below that in yellow :with a For sharing and discovery to work properly, make sure the settings in your firewall program match the following settings.

Then a picture of 2 people Sharing and discovery

Network Discovery- ON

File Sharing    -       ON

Public Folder Sharing- ON

Printer Sharing  -     OFF

Password protected Sharing -ON

Media Sharing -       OFF

Thanks for your time!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Well, it would seem that the problem begins with networking in Vista as that "Unknown Server execution failed" condition may be a problem for OneCare to handle. Is your cable modem connected to your computer via USB or an ethernet cable and if the latter, do you also have a router between the computer and the cable modem?

The Sharing and Discovery part is all good.

The fact that you can't identify the network as private or public is bad, I think.

The top part of the Network and Sharing Center window should show 3 pictures with the captions below, when you are connected to the Internet.

On the left - "your PC name(this computer)," in the middle - "Your Network Name," on the right - a globe, "The Internet."

The fact that you don't see this and the section below it is missing (the part with your network and a label Private, Public, or unknown, and the link for "customize") leads me to suspect a problem with networking on the PC.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Steve, I will not trouble you further as I will wait I guess for support to get back with me , but if you say you think the problem is  with networking on the PC how do I fix or correct that? My cable connection is thru cable and I do have a little box (road Runner).Thank you for all your help with this matter, as a person who is not a computer wiz I appreciate your kindness.I have had more problems with Vista with several different issues ,mostly being compatable with other things, I thought it would be better then xp.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:04 PM
  • I'm scanning a very interesting thread here - http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1185469&SiteID=17 - with lots of people with the Unknown Server execution error in the Network and Sharing Center.

So far, no fix (7 pages in) other than one user reporting that they reinstalled Vista after formatting the PC drive. A little harsh of a solution.

There are *many* references to AOL Instant Messenger and Viewpoint Media Player being suspects, but nothing I've read yet indicate that it is indeed at fault.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Thank you Steve, I will keep you posted if and when I hear back from support

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:12 PM
  • I found a fix on page 9, posted by blueshot, and modified by sugardx that works on Ultimate or Business editions of Vista, not Home Basic or Home Premium.

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Right click "Administrators"
    >>Click "Add to group..."
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Double click "Local Service"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Close Computer Management and reboot.

Then another fix from Scott on the next page that applies to *all* version of Vista:

From command prompt as administrator :

(Start, type cmd, right click command.exe in the results list and select, "Run as administrator.")

net localhost Administrators /add Local Service

then do a :

net localhosts Administrator

and NT Local Service should be listed.  Reboot and all is well.

Completely fizxed my problem - I can go into network and sharing center without hangs and I can change network options - Oh Boy !!!

I did NOT run the WMI fix detailed below and all seems to work fine!!!

Good Luck!!

Further down the page many people reported that Scott's fix required starting the computer in Safe Mode. Reboot the PC and before Windows starts, press F8 and select Safe Mode from the list of startup options.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Mine is Home Premium

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:57 PM
  •  ldmercer2 wrote:
    Mine is Home Premium

Well, with Vista Home Premium, use Scott's fix - the second one I included above.

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:40 AM