none
How to order a replacement product key for vista? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm feeling a little betwixt and between:

About a month ago, my HP computer died. With help from HP support, we determined the problem was a bad motherboard. They didn't discuss activation issues in connection with replacing the motherboard, and it didn't occur to me it would be any problem. I was pretty certain that I could not justify paying what HP would ask to fix it, or even to purchase the 'authorized' part (new boards seem to be about $225 - that plus lunch money would purchase something better, brand new). So I purchased a used motherboard for $80 on eBay, popped it in, and what do you know, it works! It looks identical to the one I pulled out, it probably used to be in an HP computer. The BIOS startup certainly reflects that fact.

But now Vista's no longer activated, since the OEMAct key doesn't match. I have chatted with HP, and their proposed solution is to install a retail version, which of course is more out of pocket for me, when I've already fixed their defective hardware without much help from them. They offered to sell me Windows 7 (something I'm considering doing) but I'll be darned if I will buy it from them. As far as I'm concerned I've paid for an OEM license from them, for a system I still own, so that's unacceptable to me: I want a new key, for free. At least the HP Chat support guys in India can't offer me that, apparently (what happened to 'the customer is always right'?). As far as I'm concerned, the license goes with the system I purchased, not with some $.25 part on the failed motherboard. Am I right about this?

Meanwhile, when I try to activate, one of the choices offered is to 'buy a new product key online'. When I click this, it goes through a validation step, and confirms my copy is genuine, but does not offer an option to purchase a product key for Vista. It seems Microsoft no longer sells Vista, so that's no help either.

So I'm back to: are there some magic words I can use to compel HP to give me the key I think I'm entitled to? Assuming that's technically within their power?

If I purchase an upgrade to Windows 7, will it still validate Vista as 'genuine' after the grace activation expires in 3 days?
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Since an HP OEM Windows Vista license is permanently tied to the HP motherboard BIOS it originally came with, I'm afraid you'll be unable to reactivate.  However, try the following technique:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

5. Restart your computer.

If the above does not result in successful activation, then consider purchasing a "full version" edition of Windows 7 and perform a "clean install".

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Thanks, HP finally came up with a solution for me and Vista is activated now.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 22, 2010 11:51 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:23 AM
  • I have the EXACT problem as you.  What was the solution that HP came up with for you?

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 7:17 PM
  • "Grendergon" wrote in message news:dc88b0c7-9c90-40e1-a3e2-ad26998ad6dc...

I have the EXACT problem as you.  What was the solution that HP came up with for you?

Please post your own problem in your own thread - that way discussions don't get confused!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:11 AM