New User - Please pardon the ignorant questions RRS feed

• Question

• Good Evening,

I apologise ahead of time if these are the dumbest questions you've had - but hell it's Christmas and a good laugh always helps.

1. Does WHS need an underlying OS installed or is it installed as a standalone server as with windows server etc?
    2. I have a XP pro laptop and desktop, and two vista home basic desktops - do I need to upgrade the vista pc's and to what? (They are the kids machines and don't need anything fancy - just music, movies and chat - goodness forbid that they actually did any work on the things!).
    Many thanks in advance,

Ian
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Ian

1. no it is based on windows 2003 so it installs just like windows 2003

2. again no it should work fine with windows basic

and Happy Christmas

Ian Bennington (UK)
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Hi Ian,
    • Installation is not exactly like Windows Server 2003, but you will need Windows Server 2003 compatible drivers, if you want install on own hardware.
    • Vista Home Basic is fine, the only limitation is, that there is no chance to use Remote Desktop connection to these machines.
    (Since when don't kids need something fancy?)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Ian

1. no it is based on windows 2003 so it installs just like windows 2003

2. again no it should work fine with windows basic

and Happy Christmas

Ian Bennington (UK)
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Hi Ian,
    • Installation is not exactly like Windows Server 2003, but you will need Windows Server 2003 compatible drivers, if you want install on own hardware.
    • Vista Home Basic is fine, the only limitation is, that there is no chance to use Remote Desktop connection to these machines.
    (Since when don't kids need something fancy?)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:01 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the prompt and helpful answers. The remote connection on the vista machines sounds more a blessing than a hinderance - I had visions my camcorder streaming the new blairwitch from the teenagers bedroom.

The WHS sounds just the thing - I'm tired of trying to keep a 2000 server running that needs a degree in computer science just to login in.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you both!
    Ian

Thread closed!

Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:12 PM