Change the name on a department? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

One client are in no need of the department "Marketing" in CRM 4. But are in need of a "production" department.

How do I change the name on the department button in CRM 4?

/ Marinfloc

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:49 PM

Answers

• And if you are taking about the changing the sitemap than you can export the sitemap and update as under:-

<Area Id="MA" ResourceId="Area_Marketing" Icon="/_imgs/marketing_24x24.gif" DescriptionResourceId="Marketing_Description">

to

<Area Id="Production" ResourceId="Area_Production" ShowGroups="true" Icon="/_imgs/sales_24x24.gif" Title="Production">

You can also change the icon and re-import site map.

Regards

Faisal

• Marked as answer by Marinfloc Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:04 PM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:12 PM

All replies

• If you are talking about the business unit in CRM, you can't change the name, you have to deactivate the business unit and create a new one. This is the supported way.

The unsupported way is to rename the business unit directly in database. From my experience, there is no impact of renaming a business unit directly in database.

My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:59 PM
  • And if you are taking about the changing the sitemap than you can export the sitemap and update as under:-

<Area Id="MA" ResourceId="Area_Marketing" Icon="/_imgs/marketing_24x24.gif" DescriptionResourceId="Marketing_Description">

to

<Area Id="Production" ResourceId="Area_Production" ShowGroups="true" Icon="/_imgs/sales_24x24.gif" Title="Production">

Regards

Faisal

• Marked as answer by Marinfloc Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:04 PM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:12 PM

to

Regards

Faisal

Thank you,

I have not change the site map before, would appriciate if you could explain were I find the site map so I can export it.
    Is there any problem doing this, any side affects?

/ Marinfloc

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Mahender, MarinFlox wants to rename a business unit, not change the name of the entity business unit... (if I understood well)
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Export site map from the export customization. Open in VS or XML editor or Notepad. Find the area id as stated in my earlier email and replace it.

1. If the sitemap is not correct CRM will not allow the import

2. You always have the old site map in zip form which you exported therefore you can always revert back.

I was also reluctant initially therefore if you want me to do this just send your sitemap file to faislfiaz@yahoo.com I will amend and send it back to you.

If you try yourself it will build your confidence. Moreover, you will get a sense of accomplishment after doing this. Anyway it's up to you.

Regards

Faisal 

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:40 PM
  • I want the button down in the left corner to say "Production" instead of "Marketing".
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Export site map from the export customization. Open in VS or XML editor or Notepad. Find the area id as stated in my earlier email and replace it.

1. If the sitemap is not correct CRM will not allow the import

2. You always have the old site map in zip form which you exported therefore you can always revert back.

I was also reluctant initially therefore if you want me to do this just send your sitemap file to faislfiaz@yahoo.com I will amend and send it back to you.

If you try yourself it will build your confidence. Moreover, you will get a sense of accomplishment after doing this. Anyway it's up to you.

Regards

Faisal 

Thank you very much for your help.

I tried it my self and it worked great!

Is it possible to change the picture? and how?

/Marinfloc

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Just Change the icon. First see all the icons in _imgs folder which is on server in Program Files/Microsoft Dynamics CRM folder/CRMWeb. The size of the icon should be same.
    • Proposed as answer by Faisal Fiaz Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:02 PM