none
whs i/o errors on server during restore attempt RRS feed

• Question

• My kids managed to fubar their PC which I have dutifully backed up for over a year now using WHS. However, once I booted their PC using the WHS restore CD and selected a recent b/u to use as a restore source, I started receiving "I/O on the server errors; cannot read sector XYZ - cancel or continue?" I tried a few other dates, all with the same result. My only recourse has been to go into the WHS system from the newly formatted HD (with a copy of Win XP Home recently reinstalled) and transfer folders (and sometimes individual files, when errors prevent copying folders) of high importance, one by one. Needless to say, I am GREATLY disappointed that I had no flippin' clue that my backups of the 5 PC's in our home were basically worthless when I needed the WHS server the most.

I am now running a batch chkdsk per Ken Warren ( http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee ), but as I am now completely and irrevocably suspicious of WHS recording worthless files instead of backing up my various clients on the WHS network, I would deeply appreciate anyone's advice on how to ensure this nonsense never happens again. That is, does some sort of mechanism exist to allow regular interrogation of the fidelity of my backups on WHS? I think this is complete and utter bulls**t that I have spent time and money on this piece of s/w and right now, all I've to show for it is a slow and painstaking file-by-file transfer of MOST of the important homework, picture and music files on my kids' PC. I would be completely insane if this had happened to my tax forms or other precious data on my PC or had lost a bunch of critical files on my wife's non-profit work laptop.

Thanks,

js
    • Edited by jsyv2 Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:34 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:16 AM

Answers

• Please check my answer in this similar thread.
    If the backup database is demolished at one certain position, all other backups will also not be restored completely, because they fail on the same place. The problem with the space saving technology of single instance storage is, that identical data is only stored a single time - and if this storage position is hit by bad sectors or other failures, the file cannot be recovered.
    Workaround I could imagine, try to open the backup from the Console in another PC and copy folder by folder to the target disk, which you attach as secondary drive.
    With some luck you can nail down and exclude the troublesome files, and if this are system files, copy those over from another system.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by jsyv2 Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:05 PM

All replies

• Ironically I just posted a few threads below you with the same problem after not finding anyone else with similar issues.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/7384342b-cd5b-498b-bca9-9d3fe9387c63

I had done a successful restore in the past with no errors (9 months ago maybe) and was feeling very happy and comfortable about the backups, but now I don't have any trust that they are intact.

For what it's worth, you CAN just click continue a bunch through the errors and it will restore everything (except those invalid clusters).  It's like russian roulette though.  The missing clusters might or might not be in important places.  I probably had the error pop up 25 times during a 35 GB restore.  For me, windows booted fine, and two programs needed to be re-installed because they wouldn't start due to the corruption.  Nothing else seems damaged, but it's certainly possible that it will come back to bite me later.  Luckily I was just using the backup/restore to upgrade the drive in my laptop, so if a fix is found soon I can just redo it, but obviously as time goes on, that option will become less and less attractive.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Please check my answer in this similar thread.
    If the backup database is demolished at one certain position, all other backups will also not be restored completely, because they fail on the same place. The problem with the space saving technology of single instance storage is, that identical data is only stored a single time - and if this storage position is hit by bad sectors or other failures, the file cannot be recovered.
    Workaround I could imagine, try to open the backup from the Console in another PC and copy folder by folder to the target disk, which you attach as secondary drive.
    With some luck you can nail down and exclude the troublesome files, and if this are system files, copy those over from another system.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by jsyv2 Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:05 PM