I'm trying to restore 8.1 from whs2011 backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a desktop I build recently and installed Win8.1 Pro w/MCE x64, but I'm not too happy of the lack of support for MCE, so I returned it to Win7 Pro x64 and for some reason, my drives D, E aren't recognized... These two volumes are made up from 3x 3TB drives on a hardware RAID which is built in the motherboard, and the RAID utility shows them to be good...

Needless to say, I lost a bit of data, but had the idea that I could just do a restore from my WHS2011 back to Win8.1, so I created a USB boot key, and the 1st error I received was 0xc0000025, so I did some research and found KB2781272 and applied the fix to my server... I then recreated the USB boot key, and the restore utility started, but had no network driver, so I gave it the proper driver and now it says it can't find the server...

I tried to manually search with the proper IP address, then the name of the server and neither can find it... I can switch my KVM and log on, I can even go to a 3rd machine and ping it, but the restore utility can't find it...

How can I restore my machine back?

Monday, June 22, 2015 8:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on the description, are we doing a full system restore? To do a full system restore, we need to connect the computer to the same network as the server using a network cable (a wired connection) and make sure that we have access to all hard drives on the client computer.

Regarding doing a full system restore from WHS 2011 backup, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Using the Full System Restore wizard

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/system-restore.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Frank Shen5 Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:29 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Frank Shen5 Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Shen5 Thursday, July 9, 2015 2:57 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:29 AM
  • RAIDs are somewhat difficult - especially since they are not well supported in Windows PE environment.

But since you have already reinstalled your operating system (and added the Connector software?), you can try to run ClientRestoreWizard.exe directly from there (should be found on the stick or on the server in subfolders of C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\ClientRestore\1FAE75EB-B11A-4883-BCEE-9AC1C6D95216 - copy the appropriate folder for your client), this saves you the pain with network and/or storage drivers.

BTW: MCE is available in Windows 8.1 Pro, but you have to pay extra for it in the application store. (And it is no longer available in Windows 10 unfortunately.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Edited by Olaf Engelke Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on the description, are we doing a full system restore? To do a full system restore, we need to connect the computer to the same network as the server using a network cable (a wired connection) and make sure that we have access to all hard drives on the client computer.

Regarding doing a full system restore from WHS 2011 backup, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Using the Full System Restore wizard

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/system-restore.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Frank Shen5 Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:29 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:29 AM
  • RAIDs are somewhat difficult - especially since they are not well supported in Windows PE environment.

But since you have already reinstalled your operating system (and added the Connector software?), you can try to run ClientRestoreWizard.exe directly from there (should be found on the stick or on the server in subfolders of C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\ClientRestore\1FAE75EB-B11A-4883-BCEE-9AC1C6D95216 - copy the appropriate folder for your client), this saves you the pain with network and/or storage drivers.

BTW: MCE is available in Windows 8.1 Pro, but you have to pay extra for it in the application store. (And it is no longer available in Windows 10 unfortunately.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Edited by Olaf Engelke Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:08 PM