locked
Communicator contacts not correct RRS feed

  • Question

  • Infrastructure is OCS 2007 R2 Consolidated Enterprise Edition
    Client is OCS 2007 R2 Communicator v.3.5.6907.0
    Client OS is Vista with all require/recommended updates

    Issue:
    On my desktop I'm attempting to dial a user via selecting the users' name in OCS communicator.   After I click on the user and attempt to place the call, communicator errors and  is unable to place the call.  After troubleshooting, I discovered that all the users I attempt to contact have multiple "Work" numbers listed on their OCS contact cards.  In viewing the contact cards, I see that the top "Work" number is "+5555".  The bottom "Work" number is "5555".   I also found that if I dial the extension directly in OCS instead of click to call the call is connected.  

    This issue originally came about because I had an address book normalization rule which added a "+" on any four digit extensions.   Since the original install, I modified the address book normalization rule that added the "+" to four digit extension.   So the current address book and location profile rule is as follows:
    ^(\d{4})$
    $1

    To resolve this issue I thought I only needed to delete the GalContacts.db so my local contacts would be cleared and I'd get a new address book (which didn't have the "+" sign), but that didn't work.  Prior to deleteing the galcontacts database I checked the information located in the "telephone number" attribute in Active Directory for the user I'm attempting to call.  His telephone number attribute is set to "5555".  His tel URI is set to "tel:5555".   I deleted all of the files in the ABS share in OCS (except for the normalization txt file).  I then ran abserver.exe -regenur successfully.  Then ran abserver.exe -syncnow successfully.  New address book files were created in the ABS share.

    Here's the folder I deleted:
    C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Communicator\user1@company.com

    Since this first step didn't work I went into the registry and removed the key which had my communicator settings.
    Here's the registry key which I deleted:
    Computer\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator\user1@company.com

    Finally, I'm not experiencing this issue with any other OCS users.  The other users are all receiving the proper address book phone number inforamtion which doesn't have th "+" preceeding the extensions. 

    Do you have any suggestions?  Where else might this information be stored on my local system????

    Friday, May 8, 2009 4:06 PM

All replies

  • Did you check Internet Explorer Proxy settings?


    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:50 AM
  • That behavior is a known issue when you normalize numbers in OCS to anything other than the E.164 format.  I've seen that EXACT behavior when normalizing 4-digits to '+5555' when later stripping the '+' for Call Manager + RCC/CUPS deployments.

    It's only a display issue from what I've seen and is more of an annoyance and a functionality problem.  Ideally you should also normalize numbers to match the proper E.164 format in OCS and then either a media gateway to translate the patterns or setup rules on the IP-PBX to handle the full format.  Since this is not always ideal, or if using RCC, sometimes you can't really do that and you'll see the strange display issues.

    You can always check the Galcontacts.db file with a text editor and look for the display and normalized tel: string to verify that the contact's number will be dialed correctly.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:43 PM
    Moderator