none
How to earn more achievements? RRS feed

• Question

• I am just wondering what are the ways to earn more achievements? After the switch to the new system I have only been able to earn 3 more bronze achievements. I, of course, keep doing what I've been doing - provide answers in forums.

I also see that the highest number of gold medals the users currently have is 5 where the 5th medal is for moderator's activities. So, just curious if there is a way to grow?

Just curious, I will keep answering regardless of the answer.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Naomi

Good question, but I think the answer will come only until September 1st (hopefully this year), as reported in this forum.

The idea is that at that time to publish the whole scheme of recognition points and achievement for all groups:   shareholders,  employees,  contributor  in  general,  MVP,  MCC,  ............

Regards

Jaime

Friday, August 26, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Do you ever play RPG (role play games) like Diablo , World of warcraft.... 

In these games the crossing the first level is very easy... like it is a piece of cake and you will be rewarded for that easy task.... and then on the journey begins and makes a lot & lot tougher... like at the end.. it looks like we have to give 100 thousand to get one more skill point... 

The above looks like boring isn't it... but what I am trying to say is Sean might have modeled the system in the same way... Like obtaining the first one is very easy and then to get the second one you have to do twice the work and then the third twice that we did for the third... so on and so forth..... 

Anyway it is just 4 more days to wait and the curtain will be raised on the algo of the achievements.....

Nothing is Permanent... even Knowledge....
    My Blog
    Friday, August 26, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Hi All

I hope the matrix will present to be great. I have admiration for the group of people working on this because it is by no means an easy task. It is no unknown there are multiple interests in these issues and make everyone happy is something very complicated.

In my opinion the most important is the establishment of rules absolutely clear and measurable participation for all.

Besides, who takes to bring pleasant surprises that really encourage the participation of those who are already here and coming.

Jaime

Friday, August 26, 2011 8:02 PM
  • This is not the official Microsoft release, but it's a list of the majority of available achievements.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/user_ed/archive/2013/06/13/how-do-you-earn-recognition-points-and-achievement-medals-on-msdn-and-technet.aspx

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Good Summarization Rich!
    - Kerobin
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Hi Rich

There are other medals which are missing.

Say,

Blog conversation Started (Silver)
    Blog Party Started (Gold)

- Kerobin
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:33 AM
  • Hi Arposh

That link is broken.

Jaime

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Hi Arposh

That link is broken.

Jaime

The link still works for me.

@Kerobin:  Someone removed those achievements from the list.  They have been added back.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Link doesn't work for me either. I got Server Error.

My blog
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Link doesn't work for me either. I got Server Error.

My blog
    That's odd. I took the link directly from the wiki. Try searching the Wiki for 'TechNet Achievements'. 

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:44 PM
  • The link works fine for me.
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Here is what I found - if I copy the link and paste either in Google Chrome or IE - it works. However, if I right click on this link and chose in GC to open in the new window or new incognito window, I get 'Server error'.

Anyway, I pasted it into a separate window and looking at it now, thanks.

My blog
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification, Naomi.
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:53 PM
  • In your link for forum's achievements I see what I suspected: Code III seems to be the highest achievement. In other words, based on that blog I don't see myself earning more based on sole forum's participation.

Also, I looked quickly, but I didn't see 'Thread Mover achievements - 3 levels mentioned (moderators' only achievement).

My blog
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:57 PM
  • In your link for forum's achievements I see what I suspected: Code III seems to be the highest achievement. In other words, based on that blog I don't see myself earning more based on sole forum's participation.

Also, I looked quickly, but I didn't see 'Thread Mover achievements - 3 levels mentioned (moderators' only achievement).

My blog
    Feel free to add it to the wiki.  :)

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:01 PM

My blog
    Also, these are only the achievements that I am aware of.  There could be plenty more that I have not seen personally.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Ok, I added, but it's a bit hard to edit this page. I tried HTML view but looks like something is not adjusted. Can you please take a look?

Thanks.

My blog
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Why it says that the article has 9 comments but I only see your single comment?

My blog
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Some of the comments are linked to edits and may not show up in the comments section.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Hi Rich

Good organizational proposal.

Failure to add the definition of each term to know by which score you get and what each achievement score is reached.

It is also important to capture all this in separate matrices for: partners, employees, taxpayers.

in What are the currently available Profile Achievements?  There deficiones refer to which I should be added to the model to make it more clear and complete.

Jaime
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Why it says that the article has 9 comments but I only see your single comment?

That includes the comments in the History tab that are tied to the related edits. (Just to clarify Arposh's answer.)

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:45 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rich

There are other medals which are missing.

Say,

Blog conversation Started (Silver)
    Blog Party Started (Gold)

- Kerobin

You should be able to find the medals listed there now: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/technet-profile-achievements.aspx

Arposh added them back in.

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:48 PM
    Owner
  • This is not the official Microsoft release, but it's a list of the majority of available achievements.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/technet-achievements.aspx

Thanks for making the list! I added more info: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/technet-profile-achievements.aspx
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:49 PM
    Owner

My blog

So your post above is the real answer to your question.

We'll have to see when the final list is released, but the only known Forums medals that you don't have yet are the three Moderator Medals (Thread Mover I, II, and III) and Curator III. So that's pretty good!

I guess you could do more on the Wiki and other tools to unlock those achievements. All the known medals are here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/technet-profile-achievements.aspx

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:53 PM
    Owner

Feel free to add it to the wiki.  :)

Yes that's the point of the Wiki... authoring collaboration!
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:54 PM
    Owner
  • In your link for forum's achievements I see what I suspected: Code III seems to be the highest achievement. In other words, based on that blog I don't see myself earning more based on sole forum's Also, these are only the achievements that I am aware of.  There could be plenty more that I have not seen personally.

Yes, I added a few already.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:55 PM
    Owner
  • Ok, I added, but it's a bit hard to edit this page. I tried HTML view but looks like something is not adjusted. Can you please take a look?

Thanks.

I cleaned up the Forums table a bit. At least all the text is on the screen now. =^)

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:55 PM
    Owner
  • We're leaving it to the official release info for more details. Maybe at that time you or one of us will fill out more information on the Wiki page (or at least link to the official details).
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:58 PM
    Owner
  • I actually do have Code Answerer III. I can not get Thread Mover achievements because I'm only Answerer in 2 forums and not a Moderator (even though I send e-mails regularly to known moderators when I see items that require some moderator's action). I really hope I can become a Moderator in some SQL forums, so I will not need to continue spending time of double work (it is time consuming for me and for the people I send such e-mails).

--------------------------

I guess if I want to get more achievements I will need to also do more activities in Wiki, Blogs and Gallery sections.

My blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:01 PM
  • BTW, it means that once you reached some level, you can not get more and you will remain with the same medals and wait for others to catch up.

My blog
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:04 PM
  • BTW, it means that once you reached some level, you can not get more and you will remain with the same medals and wait for others to catch up.

True, but that's where the Recognition points come in. For example, it might be hard for someone to catch up with your 87,000 points if you keep building more points at that same rate. So they have two different systems in place for that purpose. Plus they might release more tools and opportunities in the future to earn more medals (and there are a lot more that you could currently earn, if that's your goal).

Great conversations here! Thank you!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:32 PM
    Owner
  • I actually do have Code Answerer III. I can not get Thread Mover achievements because I'm only Answerer in 2 forums and not a Moderator (even though I send e-mails regularly to known moderators when I see items that require some moderator's action). I really hope I can become a Moderator in some SQL forums, so I will not need to continue spending time of double work (it is time consuming for me and for the people I send such e-mails).

--------------------------

I guess if I want to get more achievements I will need to also do more activities in Wiki, Blogs and Gallery sections.

Ah, I meant to say Curator III. I updated that above. For the Curator medals, in the Wiki we say "vote helpful posts and propose answers". Do you know if that is true? It doesn't seem to be unlocking medals for myself and others.

Did you ask those moderators to be elevated? Eventually one of them might see the value.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:36 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Naomi. you said.. " Code III seems to be the highest achievement"

What about Code IV? - and there's been no mention of the Platinum or Titanium Achievements as yet! <g>

Regards, pkn

Wiki Discussion forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnwiki/threads
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:24 AM