mr RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows Steadystate, I used the safe disk protection and I removed Steadystate and I was left with a big cache file that I can't get read of because I have removed Steadystate from my computer, I would like to know how to remove this backup database file from my computer it is just using up harddrive memory I can't access it or use it in anyway now that Steadystate is no longer on my computer I need help removing this file
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hi wlschmidt, you can follow the steps below to remove the cache file:

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Clear the "Hide extensions for known file type" check box. Click OK.

If Cache.WDP exists, we can manually delete it with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.WDP file under drive C. Restart the computer.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, April 3, 2009 2:16 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:08 AM

All replies

Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:38 PM
  • there is no reference to this file to delete it in safe mode I know the file is there it takes up about 13 gigs of space on the hard drive, that's a lot of memory to loose just to have a backup I can't use or need, I sure want to delete this file, its a cache wdp file according to Steadystate, but that is all I know about it, I'm open to all suggesstions
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:55 PM
  • Hi wlschmidt, you can follow the steps below to remove the cache file:

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Clear the "Hide extensions for known file type" check box. Click OK.

If Cache.WDP exists, we can manually delete it with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.WDP file under drive C. Restart the computer.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, April 3, 2009 2:16 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:08 AM