Server backup not working while client backup works fine. RRS feed

• Question

• Everything was working fine till I installed a Western Digital 4TB external USB drive. I followed the backup server instructions for adding an additional backup drive and the backup of my client pc's works fine. The issue is that the server will not backup without failing every time. The error message states backup can not be performed due to an I/O device error yet I can communicate with the drive fine. I even performed a quick format on the drive from the Dashboard. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Night Owl

• Edited by Night Owl 7 Monday, October 27, 2014 8:55 PM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 8:50 PM

Answers

• I think you are limited to using a 2TB drive for server backup!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:38 AM
  • Hi Night Owl,

Just addition. Would you please let me confirm the data (which you want to back up to the 4TB drive) was large than 2 TB? You cannot use Windows Server Backup to back up file and folders on volumes that require more than 2 TB. The reason is that the vhd limit of 2TB for Windows Server Backup.

à The error message states backup can not be performed due to an I/O device error

For the error message, it may be caused by most of these large drives have a 4K sector size, rather than the older 512 byte sector size. Please refer to following KB and article, then check if can help you.

Microsoft support policy for 4K sector hard drives in Windows

Why your new 2TB or 3TB drive will not work with Windows Backup

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If anything I misunderstand or any update, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:36 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Night Owl,

The reason for your issue is this: WHS Server Backup only backs up to 512 or 512e drives. A 4 TB drive is never a 512 but most often (if not always for now) a 512e drive. However, manufacturers of external USB enclosures often present 512e drives as 4096 drives. Why? Because that is the onyl way to get older OSses to be compatible. SO the issue really is with the USB-SATA bridge overriding the HDDs own parameters.

A solution is: buy and install an HDD swapable dock in the PC and attach the HDD/Dock to a SATA port. It'll run fine then (as it does with me and me 4TB drive).

You _can_ most certainly use a HDD > 2 TB as Server Backup HDD, there is no limitation there and you _can_ actually backup more than 2TB of data on a server. The limit, on which there is a lot of confusion, is that a volume/partition to be backed up can not exceed 2TB.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:52 AM

All replies

• I think you are limited to using a 2TB drive for server backup!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:38 AM
  • Hi Night Owl,

Just addition. Would you please let me confirm the data (which you want to back up to the 4TB drive) was large than 2 TB? You cannot use Windows Server Backup to back up file and folders on volumes that require more than 2 TB. The reason is that the vhd limit of 2TB for Windows Server Backup.

à The error message states backup can not be performed due to an I/O device error

For the error message, it may be caused by most of these large drives have a 4K sector size, rather than the older 512 byte sector size. Please refer to following KB and article, then check if can help you.

Microsoft support policy for 4K sector hard drives in Windows

Why your new 2TB or 3TB drive will not work with Windows Backup

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If anything I misunderstand or any update, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:36 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Night Owl,

The reason for your issue is this: WHS Server Backup only backs up to 512 or 512e drives. A 4 TB drive is never a 512 but most often (if not always for now) a 512e drive. However, manufacturers of external USB enclosures often present 512e drives as 4096 drives. Why? Because that is the onyl way to get older OSses to be compatible. SO the issue really is with the USB-SATA bridge overriding the HDDs own parameters.

A solution is: buy and install an HDD swapable dock in the PC and attach the HDD/Dock to a SATA port. It'll run fine then (as it does with me and me 4TB drive).

You _can_ most certainly use a HDD > 2 TB as Server Backup HDD, there is no limitation there and you _can_ actually backup more than 2TB of data on a server. The limit, on which there is a lot of confusion, is that a volume/partition to be backed up can not exceed 2TB.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:52 AM