none
Microsoft ICE not install Windows 10

Question

• Hi Evevybody,

Any time I want to install Microsot ICE it comes a window saying:

"There is a problem with this Windows Intaller package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor".

I tried x64 option.

Do you have any ideas to fix this?

thanks in advance.

Robert

Sunday, March 13, 2016 4:18 PM

Answers

• Well I did a bit of searching before I wrote you back. 

This discussion over on SuperUser has a bunch of different solutions to this error message. 
    The error message you're describing isn't specific to ICE or Windows 10, but is some sort of issue between Windows Installer and (components of) MSI (Microsoft Installer) files.

User dimadima claims that the root problem is that somehow the .msi file that you're trying to install (in your case ICE 2) is not being granted permission to the folder where Windows Installer is located. His solution was to force the permissions on the C:\Users\x\AppData\Local\Temp folder to allow all users on his computer to do whatever they wanted to any file in that folder which most people in the discussion considered to be heavy-handed and a security risk.

I haven't been able to find anyone who really seems confident as to what causes this error to begin occurring, though.

Among the suggestions mentioned there which various people said helped them: 

• Find your temp directory (press [Windows]+[R] to open Run, type %temp% and press [Enter], then right-click the folder, choose Properties, go to the Security tab, click the [Advanced] button, and add your own user account as someone who has both Read and Write access to your own Temp folder. Then when your user executes the ICE installer, it should inherit your user's permissions to modify your Temp folder and complete the installation. 
    • Some people opted to just launch the Windows command line as Administrator and execute the .msi file with the command line.
      To do this, tap the [Windows] key and type cmd. When it appears in the search results, right-click on it and launch it as Administrator. Type cd c:\users\[your username]\downloads (or whatever the address of your ICE installer is. Then type msiexec /i ICE-2.0.3-for-64-bit-Windows.msi to run the installer as Administrator.
    • Alexey Ivanov guessed that installing some version of the the Visual C++ or .NET Framework would restore the missing DLLs.
      101 confirms that installing the 2008 and 2010 versions removed the error for them.
      (Since ICE wants 2013, I thought I'd begin with that, but since you're still having the error, one of the above techniques should help you give the installer to modify the files on your computer that it needs to.)

If you try those and nothing helps, write back and I'll do some more hunting for answers.

Monday, March 14, 2016 2:47 AM

All replies

• Hi, Robert.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles. 

Try installing the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable and after that retry installing ICE 2.
    The Visual C++ 2013 runtime comes in three versions: ARM, x86, and x64.

If you intend to install the 64-bit version of ICE, you will need to install the x64 version of Visual C++ 2013.

For anyone else who finds this discussion, if you intend to install the 32-bit version of ICE (or any other application which uses the Visual C++ 2013 runtime) you'll want to install the x86 version of Visual C++ 2013.

Hopefully this will resolve this error message for you.
    Let me know if it doesn't.

Your fellow panner,
    N

Sunday, March 13, 2016 9:13 PM
  • Hello Nate,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunatly I could not install Microsoft ICE still getting the same error. I've tried x64 and x36 and same thing. I've Windows 10 x64 Home sigle user license.

I've already installed the  Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable

Do you have any ideas?

Sunday, March 13, 2016 11:37 PM
  • Well I did a bit of searching before I wrote you back. 

This discussion over on SuperUser has a bunch of different solutions to this error message. 
    The error message you're describing isn't specific to ICE or Windows 10, but is some sort of issue between Windows Installer and (components of) MSI (Microsoft Installer) files.

User dimadima claims that the root problem is that somehow the .msi file that you're trying to install (in your case ICE 2) is not being granted permission to the folder where Windows Installer is located. His solution was to force the permissions on the C:\Users\x\AppData\Local\Temp folder to allow all users on his computer to do whatever they wanted to any file in that folder which most people in the discussion considered to be heavy-handed and a security risk.

I haven't been able to find anyone who really seems confident as to what causes this error to begin occurring, though.

Among the suggestions mentioned there which various people said helped them: 

• Find your temp directory (press [Windows]+[R] to open Run, type %temp% and press [Enter], then right-click the folder, choose Properties, go to the Security tab, click the [Advanced] button, and add your own user account as someone who has both Read and Write access to your own Temp folder. Then when your user executes the ICE installer, it should inherit your user's permissions to modify your Temp folder and complete the installation. 
    • Some people opted to just launch the Windows command line as Administrator and execute the .msi file with the command line.
      To do this, tap the [Windows] key and type cmd. When it appears in the search results, right-click on it and launch it as Administrator. Type cd c:\users\[your username]\downloads (or whatever the address of your ICE installer is. Then type msiexec /i ICE-2.0.3-for-64-bit-Windows.msi to run the installer as Administrator.
    • Alexey Ivanov guessed that installing some version of the the Visual C++ or .NET Framework would restore the missing DLLs.
      101 confirms that installing the 2008 and 2010 versions removed the error for them.
      (Since ICE wants 2013, I thought I'd begin with that, but since you're still having the error, one of the above techniques should help you give the installer to modify the files on your computer that it needs to.)

If you try those and nothing helps, write back and I'll do some more hunting for answers.

Monday, March 14, 2016 2:47 AM
  • It was permissions for %temp% folder as you describe.

Thanks you very much for your kind help!

Best regards.

Monday, March 14, 2016 11:57 PM