activation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased windows xp with svc pk 1 several years ago.  I have had it installed on my daughters computer when it crashed.  I had to rebuild it and now microsoft tells me the software is pirated.  I paid for this copy from a licensed company at a computer show.  I do not have the receipt anymore but have had this copy installed for many years.  It was supposed to have come with a 3 user license.  Is there any way to get microsoft to validate this copy. It is legitimate I am POSITIVE.
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:24 PM

Answers

•  cjsode wrote:
    I purchased windows xp with svc pk 1 several years ago.  I have had it installed on my daughters computer when it crashed.  I had to rebuild it and now microsoft tells me the software is pirated.  I paid for this copy from a licensed company at a computer show.  I do not have the receipt anymore but have had this copy installed for many years.  It was supposed to have come with a 3 user license.  Is there any way to get microsoft to validate this copy. It is legitimate I am POSITIVE.

I frequent computer shows and have seen a Davey Jones' Locker full of pirated software.  You can tell the dishonest sellers because they have parrots on their shoulders, wear eyepatches and have at least one wooden leg.

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:31 PM
  • This software has been activated through Microsoft many times prior to today.  It has never been a problem either.  I do not understand why it will not activate today.  This right now is the only computer that it has been on.  I should not have to pay another 150 dollars to microsoft for another copy nor should I have to pay them 85 dollars to talk to them about 5 minutes.  This is HIGHWAY ROBBERY>
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:52 PM
  • I did not get any software installed on this computer.  I did everything myself including installing this software.   As I have said, this software has been activated by microsoft before.  So why not now.
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:55 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID     WHY?
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key Hash: 2wL1IllMebWUxB9ckiTiz7gly7Q=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-1825586-23579
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro
    ID: 401d56f6-51d7-451e-a166-5f4864bf7c63
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>401d56f6-51d7-451e-a166-5f4864bf7c63</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CVC7G</PKey><PID>55274-640-1825586-23579</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1645522239-1677128483-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ASUS </Manufacturer><Model>A7V400-MX</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A7V400-MX ACPI BIOS Revision 1009</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20041221******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>01D83BC70184205B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, June 3, 2007 12:08 AM
  • Cjsode,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade Licenses ONLY and can never be used as the original license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

You have mentioned that you do not have anything resembling a Certificate of Authenticity that may have come affixed to the computer or that may have been included with your Windows purchase.

Notice that the validaton status of your Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro is "geographically blocked PID."  The business, governmental, or educational entity/institution who holds the Volume Licensing Agreement with Microsoft has asked Microsoft to restrict the use of its VLK to a certain geographic area.  This may be the result of being alerted by Microsoft that their Product Key has been compromised based on an analysis of activation and validation patterns for this particular Product Key.

Unfortunately, you were sold a Volume Licensing Key that was someone else's property.  Since these licenses are based on renewable agreements with Microsoft, in a sense they are subject to being restricted or rescinded at any time in cooperation with the true License holder.  In the same way you might decide to change the locks on your front door if you lost a set of keys, Microsoft and the License Holder have agreed to "change the locks" on this particular license for XP.

Please have a close look at your Windows XP CD.  Can you match it up with a genuine Volume Licensing media CD on this page?  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/content/products/volume_licensing.aspx?pid=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5

Or can you match it up with the counterfeit CDs shown in the counterfeit gallery here?  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

Sunday, June 3, 2007 1:25 AM
  • This is not a new copy of XP.  I have had it several years and yes, I have used it many times but on the same computer.  In fact, last year, this computer had it installed several times before I found out my motherboard was dead and it would not install.  I have the holigram on the disk.  I am trying to put a picture of this but it is not working.  All I want to do is get this activated.  I believe it was a legitimate copy of volume licensing.  It was for 3 computers.  Its not right that they will not let me validate itl  I cannot afford another copy.  This is the only computer it is on now.  I used to have it on another computer but I removed it.  What can i do to get this validated without it costing me an arm and a leg.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:29 AM
  • This shows a picture of my copy of xp. 

http://home.comcast.net/~cjsode/xpcopy.jpg

Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:39 AM
  • Here is a link to the picture http://home.comcast.net/~cjsode/xpcopy.jpg
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Cjsode,

I was able to see the image of your CD that you posted, and while one cannot say for sure by looking at a picture, it certainly has the appearance of a genuine Microsoft CD for the Volume Licensing Edition of XP Pro.  It also is very plainly marked with "All use subject to Volume License Agreement" and you do not have a Volume License Agreement.  Other notable markings are "Not for retail or OEM distribution.  Not for resale."  These markings are put there for a reason, but as the old saying goes, "none are so blind as those who refuse to see."

When posting your mgadiag report, you edited out the last three groupings of the Product Key.  Can you recheck and confirm that the last three groupings of the Product Key are as follows:  Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7BHGB-TP888-CVC7G

If so, you may be interested to learn that this particular Product Key is mentioned by Phil Liu of Microsoft as being of particular interest.  Please see the threads that turn up when you search the forum on "Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7BHGB-TP888-CVC7G"

Phil has stated that this PK belongs to a large East-coast based financial corporation and that others who have submitted counterfeit reports to Microsoft using that option in the WGA Notification Tool will most likely receive complimentary replacements for their counterfeit Windows.

May I suggest that you submit a counterfeit report?

Sunday, June 3, 2007 4:52 AM
  • i have the same problem.. though mine was purchsed directly from dell about 2 years ago.  all i want to do is download the explorer update..  i go through the process of validation, typing the number that is on the bottom of my laptop, sold to me directly from dell.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WRKJB-YKRFQ-XVK98
    Windows Product Key Hash: p3JYo49I4HFumf8jBg8no8xdXJY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-8637434-23987
    ID: 4171ea99-e9d9-4f64-b916-e7221297ff21
    AutoDial:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Notifications Data-->

OGA Data-->
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Active scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>4171ea99-e9d9-4f64-b916-e7221297ff21</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XVK98</PKey><PID>55274-648-8637434-23987</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1085031214-602609370-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 2200                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050331******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>D48C3307018400C2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, June 3, 2007 5:09 AM
  • Avemaria,

Your problem is signficantly different from poster Cjsode.

Right now, your Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the VLK reported by the mgadiag utility, WRKJB-YKRFQ-XVK98, you will see that at least a dozen other posters have submitted reports with that same blocked VLK.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, a Volume License for XP is an upgrade license ONLY and cannot be used as the original license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Luckily, the solution to your problem is simple.  Use the recovery solution supplied by Dell to replace the nongenuine volume installation of XP Pro with the genuine OEM installation of XP.  The Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) affixed to the bottom of the laptop shows you the edition of XP that came with the computer and is still licensed to run on the computer.

Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

If the computer does not have Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed, your other option is to use the Dell OS Reinstallation CD.  If you do not have the Reinstallation CD supplied by Dell, you can order the CD for many Dell models directly from Dell for a reasonably modest fee, usually around $15.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com

Sunday, June 3, 2007 11:30 AM
  • The product key numbers are those you state  7BHgb TP888 CVC7G.  I have a closer picture of my cd but I was not sure I should post it on this site.  I have another computer with another copy of xp i only use for that computer.  I am a fair person and only want what I have bought and paid for.  If someone ripped me off, why is this 5 years down the road when I am having problems. 

How and where do I file a counterfeit report.?

Sunday, June 3, 2007 3:38 PM
  • Cjsode,

Click on the Get Genuine prompts that are displayed by the WGA Notifications Tool at startup and logon, or click the WGA Sta icon in the Notification Area (aka system tray) next to the clock in the Taskbar.  One of the choices presented (at the moment I don't have access to a nongenuine installation to specifically state the exact choice) will lead you to the screens where you fill out the report and get the address to which you send your CD.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 4:02 PM
  • You do realize that once he send in the disc, he will have nothing to show for his money.  Microsoft will not return the CD, and they will  only provide a free copy of genuine Windows after inspecting the disc, performing cryptographic analysis, and determining it's a "high quality counterfeit".  This is a genuine Windows CD, manufactured by Microsoft.  It may not have been legal to sell to an end user in the manner described above, but after so many years have passed, it's too late to locate the original seller or do anything about that.  This is not a counterfeit disc, so nothing will be gained by sending it in.

Having paid in good faith for this software, I would recommend he keep the disc and continue using the software that no doubt hundreds of dollars were spent on.  If the disc is in fact a volume license CD, then it shouldn't require any activation, though I'm not sure if that remains true when trying to download and install Service Pack 2.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 6:01 PM
  • i'm sorry for posting here again but i have a final question...

i'm new to windows so i'm not familiar with everything.   My sister purchased this computer from someone in jan 06'.  I just realized it is a refurbished laptop.. the system info says it is a 2002 version sp1.  the vlk number on the sticker doesn't match the one i posted which i guess is in the computer.  So i guess in fixing the computer for resale a different version of xp was installed?  the sticker on the bottom says it is windows xp home addition.. but it will never let me log on the home version, only the professional.    Do i have any options here?  if a person buys a computer with windows, then sells it to someone else, the new person shouldn't be obligated to pay microsoft for another disc.. i can't see this.  The computer was fixed for some reason, i don't know why... i have my own individual vlk that is registered to this computer... i'm the only one that has it.   Is this basically what they're wanting?  another $150 from me?  Or how do i go about getting what should be on the computer?  I don't have installation discs.. it was sold as is.   I'm not upset, just a little frustrated and feel like i'm being held hostage here.. i can't update anything, get the new explorer without feeling like i have to pay more money. 
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:35 PM
  • i'm sorry for posting here again i just have one final question...  My sister purchased this laptop in jan 06' and i just realized that it is a refurbished model.  The system info says it is a 2002 version.  The vlk number on the sticker on the bottom of the computer doesn't match the number that came up in the system info that i posted.   Plus the sticker says it is an xp home addition.  But i can never log on to the home addition, only the pro.  I guess pro was intalled when it was refurbished.  If someone buys a computer with windows on it and then resells to another person, the new person shouldn't be obligated to pay microsoft for another operating system disc.  I can't see this.  I have a different vlk from anyone, it should be home addition.  Do i have any options to fix this correctly?  Or are they wanting another $150 from me that i don't have?  I"m not upset, just frustrated at feeling as though i'm being held hostage.. i can't update anything from microsoft, the new browsers etc... without feeling like they want money.  I don't know what to do.  There is no store to return to at this point.  Is there a way to reinstall the home addition that should be on the computer?  I'm sorry if this has already been answered, i'm not familiar with how to do this.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:43 PM
  • Avemaria,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. There are some alternatives which you may take. The situation you are currently experiencing happens frequently. It is really sad this happens who have taken their computers in for repair or actually have purchased non-genuine software. In turn the user/customer doesn't know what has happened until they are required to perform the Windows Genuine Advantage because of an update they need. Please read what Dan posted. Volume Licensing Keys are not sold to individual users but to schools, governments and large business. There are guidlines specified within the end user licensing agreement (EULA) which highlights how software can and can not be transferred. 

The option you have Avemaria is simple. Best solution will be requesting Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs directly from Dell Technical Support.  Contact them @ 1-800- 624-9896. Explain your situation. You will be asked for your service tag number of your system. In turn if the machine is still under warrantee you should be eligible for free a replacement copy of the Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs.  Should the machine not be under warrantee there will be a nominal replacement fee.  Dell technical support will identify all associated costs as well as presenting you with options.  Please have all your original purchasing information available should they require any additional information. This will expedite the process for you.  You will receive the software which is located on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) which should be located on the bottom of your laptop. The other alternative is to submit a piracy report along with the windows software back to Microsoft. If you copies are high quality counterfeit then you may be eligible for a free copy. Hope this provides some help for your situation. 

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:47 PM

All replies

•  cjsode wrote:
    I purchased windows xp with svc pk 1 several years ago.  I have had it installed on my daughters computer when it crashed.  I had to rebuild it and now microsoft tells me the software is pirated.  I paid for this copy from a licensed company at a computer show.  I do not have the receipt anymore but have had this copy installed for many years.  It was supposed to have come with a 3 user license.  Is there any way to get microsoft to validate this copy. It is legitimate I am POSITIVE.

I frequent computer shows and have seen a Davey Jones' Locker full of pirated software.  You can tell the dishonest sellers because they have parrots on their shoulders, wear eyepatches and have at least one wooden leg.

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:31 PM
  • This software has been activated through Microsoft many times prior to today.  It has never been a problem either.  I do not understand why it will not activate today.  This right now is the only computer that it has been on.  I should not have to pay another 150 dollars to microsoft for another copy nor should I have to pay them 85 dollars to talk to them about 5 minutes.  This is HIGHWAY ROBBERY>
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:52 PM
  • I did not get any software installed on this computer.  I did everything myself including installing this software.   As I have said, this software has been activated by microsoft before.  So why not now.
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:55 PM
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID     WHY?
    Windows Product Key Hash: 2wL1IllMebWUxB9ckiTiz7gly7Q=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-1825586-23579
    ID: 401d56f6-51d7-451e-a166-5f4864bf7c63
    Validation Diagnostic:

Notifications Data-->

OGA Data-->
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Active scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>401d56f6-51d7-451e-a166-5f4864bf7c63</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CVC7G</PKey><PID>55274-640-1825586-23579</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1645522239-1677128483-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ASUS </Manufacturer><Model>A7V400-MX</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A7V400-MX ACPI BIOS Revision 1009</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20041221******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>01D83BC70184205B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, June 3, 2007 12:08 AM
  • Cjsode,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade Licenses ONLY and can never be used as the original license on a new computer.

You have mentioned that you do not have anything resembling a Certificate of Authenticity that may have come affixed to the computer or that may have been included with your Windows purchase.

Notice that the validaton status of your Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro is "geographically blocked PID."  The business, governmental, or educational entity/institution who holds the Volume Licensing Agreement with Microsoft has asked Microsoft to restrict the use of its VLK to a certain geographic area.  This may be the result of being alerted by Microsoft that their Product Key has been compromised based on an analysis of activation and validation patterns for this particular Product Key.

Unfortunately, you were sold a Volume Licensing Key that was someone else's property.  Since these licenses are based on renewable agreements with Microsoft, in a sense they are subject to being restricted or rescinded at any time in cooperation with the true License holder.  In the same way you might decide to change the locks on your front door if you lost a set of keys, Microsoft and the License Holder have agreed to "change the locks" on this particular license for XP.

Please have a close look at your Windows XP CD.  Can you match it up with a genuine Volume Licensing media CD on this page?  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/content/products/volume_licensing.aspx?pid=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5

Or can you match it up with the counterfeit CDs shown in the counterfeit gallery here?  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

Sunday, June 3, 2007 1:25 AM
  • This is not a new copy of XP.  I have had it several years and yes, I have used it many times but on the same computer.  In fact, last year, this computer had it installed several times before I found out my motherboard was dead and it would not install.  I have the holigram on the disk.  I am trying to put a picture of this but it is not working.  All I want to do is get this activated.  I believe it was a legitimate copy of volume licensing.  It was for 3 computers.  Its not right that they will not let me validate itl  I cannot afford another copy.  This is the only computer it is on now.  I used to have it on another computer but I removed it.  What can i do to get this validated without it costing me an arm and a leg.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:29 AM
  • This shows a picture of my copy of xp. 

http://home.comcast.net/~cjsode/xpcopy.jpg

Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:39 AM
  • Here is a link to the picture http://home.comcast.net/~cjsode/xpcopy.jpg
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Cjsode,

I was able to see the image of your CD that you posted, and while one cannot say for sure by looking at a picture, it certainly has the appearance of a genuine Microsoft CD for the Volume Licensing Edition of XP Pro.  It also is very plainly marked with "All use subject to Volume License Agreement" and you do not have a Volume License Agreement.  Other notable markings are "Not for retail or OEM distribution.  Not for resale."  These markings are put there for a reason, but as the old saying goes, "none are so blind as those who refuse to see."

When posting your mgadiag report, you edited out the last three groupings of the Product Key.  Can you recheck and confirm that the last three groupings of the Product Key are as follows:  Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7BHGB-TP888-CVC7G

If so, you may be interested to learn that this particular Product Key is mentioned by Phil Liu of Microsoft as being of particular interest.  Please see the threads that turn up when you search the forum on "Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7BHGB-TP888-CVC7G"

Phil has stated that this PK belongs to a large East-coast based financial corporation and that others who have submitted counterfeit reports to Microsoft using that option in the WGA Notification Tool will most likely receive complimentary replacements for their counterfeit Windows.

May I suggest that you submit a counterfeit report?

Sunday, June 3, 2007 4:52 AM
  • i have the same problem.. though mine was purchsed directly from dell about 2 years ago.  all i want to do is download the explorer update..  i go through the process of validation, typing the number that is on the bottom of my laptop, sold to me directly from dell.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WRKJB-YKRFQ-XVK98
    Windows Product Key Hash: p3JYo49I4HFumf8jBg8no8xdXJY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-8637434-23987
    ID: 4171ea99-e9d9-4f64-b916-e7221297ff21
    AutoDial:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Notifications Data-->

OGA Data-->
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Active scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>4171ea99-e9d9-4f64-b916-e7221297ff21</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XVK98</PKey><PID>55274-648-8637434-23987</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1085031214-602609370-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 2200                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050331******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>D48C3307018400C2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, June 3, 2007 5:09 AM
  • Avemaria,

Your problem is signficantly different from poster Cjsode.

Right now, your Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the VLK reported by the mgadiag utility, WRKJB-YKRFQ-XVK98, you will see that at least a dozen other posters have submitted reports with that same blocked VLK.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, a Volume License for XP is an upgrade license ONLY and cannot be used as the original license on a new computer.

Luckily, the solution to your problem is simple.  Use the recovery solution supplied by Dell to replace the nongenuine volume installation of XP Pro with the genuine OEM installation of XP.  The Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) affixed to the bottom of the laptop shows you the edition of XP that came with the computer and is still licensed to run on the computer.

Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

If the computer does not have Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed, your other option is to use the Dell OS Reinstallation CD.  If you do not have the Reinstallation CD supplied by Dell, you can order the CD for many Dell models directly from Dell for a reasonably modest fee, usually around $15.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com

Sunday, June 3, 2007 11:30 AM
  • The product key numbers are those you state  7BHgb TP888 CVC7G.  I have a closer picture of my cd but I was not sure I should post it on this site.  I have another computer with another copy of xp i only use for that computer.  I am a fair person and only want what I have bought and paid for.  If someone ripped me off, why is this 5 years down the road when I am having problems. 

How and where do I file a counterfeit report.?

Sunday, June 3, 2007 3:38 PM
  • Cjsode,

Click on the Get Genuine prompts that are displayed by the WGA Notifications Tool at startup and logon, or click the WGA Sta icon in the Notification Area (aka system tray) next to the clock in the Taskbar.  One of the choices presented (at the moment I don't have access to a nongenuine installation to specifically state the exact choice) will lead you to the screens where you fill out the report and get the address to which you send your CD.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 4:02 PM
  • You do realize that once he send in the disc, he will have nothing to show for his money.  Microsoft will not return the CD, and they will  only provide a free copy of genuine Windows after inspecting the disc, performing cryptographic analysis, and determining it's a "high quality counterfeit".  This is a genuine Windows CD, manufactured by Microsoft.  It may not have been legal to sell to an end user in the manner described above, but after so many years have passed, it's too late to locate the original seller or do anything about that.  This is not a counterfeit disc, so nothing will be gained by sending it in.

Having paid in good faith for this software, I would recommend he keep the disc and continue using the software that no doubt hundreds of dollars were spent on.  If the disc is in fact a volume license CD, then it shouldn't require any activation, though I'm not sure if that remains true when trying to download and install Service Pack 2.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 6:01 PM
  •  cjsode wrote:
    I purchased windows xp with svc pk 1 several years ago. I have had it installed on my daughters computer when it crashed. I had to rebuild it and now microsoft tells me the software is pirated. I paid for this copy from a licensed company at a computer show. I do not have the receipt anymore but have had this copy installed for many years. It was supposed to have come with a 3 user license. Is there any way to get microsoft to validate this copy. It is legitimate I am POSITIVE.

Are you sure the place you got the software from is a legitimate reseller? You may want to check on this, be mindful of where you buy software from and keep receipts, also keep in mind that if in doubt and your cd does not have a valid sticker or the auth stickers/markings do not show this could be a fake. Reporting to Microsoft or not buying it in the first place should be better then getting something that you can't you at a later date. Sorry if its not that much help but in a situation like this you cant do much of anything about it if its unconformable and you have no P.O.P.

Wishing you the best,

Josh
    Support Specialist
    Client Services Division
    Mwest International Services LTD.
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 8:55 PM
  • BCohen,

Does Cjsode really have anything "to show for his money" right now?  S/he doesn't have a license for XP, or a valid Product Key, or even an installation of XP that can download WGA-gated content.

Previous posts by Phil Liu of Microsoft indicate that there is special interest in this particular product key, so it may not be as futile an effort as you may think.  The original poster has nothing to lose, since the CD itself has very little value (although it's probably a good idea to burn a copy or two before it's sent in).

Sunday, June 3, 2007 10:46 PM
  • B Cohen,

First individual users purchase individual licening vs Volume Licensing Keys as Dan specified in previous post. Second it is really and truly hard to make a determination if software is genuine vs. non-genuine unless the customer follows the information for filing a piracy report. Not only does the disc need to be visually inspected but also for crypto inspection. Using a non-genuine Microsoft Software can leave the user's machine in a catastrophic state. Users won't be able to download certain updates being non-genuine. 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager 

Monday, June 4, 2007 11:42 PM
  • i'm sorry for posting here again but i have a final question...

i'm new to windows so i'm not familiar with everything.   My sister purchased this computer from someone in jan 06'.  I just realized it is a refurbished laptop.. the system info says it is a 2002 version sp1.  the vlk number on the sticker doesn't match the one i posted which i guess is in the computer.  So i guess in fixing the computer for resale a different version of xp was installed?  the sticker on the bottom says it is windows xp home addition.. but it will never let me log on the home version, only the professional.    Do i have any options here?  if a person buys a computer with windows, then sells it to someone else, the new person shouldn't be obligated to pay microsoft for another disc.. i can't see this.  The computer was fixed for some reason, i don't know why... i have my own individual vlk that is registered to this computer... i'm the only one that has it.   Is this basically what they're wanting?  another $150 from me?  Or how do i go about getting what should be on the computer?  I don't have installation discs.. it was sold as is.   I'm not upset, just a little frustrated and feel like i'm being held hostage here.. i can't update anything, get the new explorer without feeling like i have to pay more money. 
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:35 PM
  • i'm sorry for posting here again i just have one final question...  My sister purchased this laptop in jan 06' and i just realized that it is a refurbished model.  The system info says it is a 2002 version.  The vlk number on the sticker on the bottom of the computer doesn't match the number that came up in the system info that i posted.   Plus the sticker says it is an xp home addition.  But i can never log on to the home addition, only the pro.  I guess pro was intalled when it was refurbished.  If someone buys a computer with windows on it and then resells to another person, the new person shouldn't be obligated to pay microsoft for another operating system disc.  I can't see this.  I have a different vlk from anyone, it should be home addition.  Do i have any options to fix this correctly?  Or are they wanting another $150 from me that i don't have?  I"m not upset, just frustrated at feeling as though i'm being held hostage.. i can't update anything from microsoft, the new browsers etc... without feeling like they want money.  I don't know what to do.  There is no store to return to at this point.  Is there a way to reinstall the home addition that should be on the computer?  I'm sorry if this has already been answered, i'm not familiar with how to do this.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:43 PM
  • Avemaria,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. There are some alternatives which you may take. The situation you are currently experiencing happens frequently. It is really sad this happens who have taken their computers in for repair or actually have purchased non-genuine software. In turn the user/customer doesn't know what has happened until they are required to perform the Windows Genuine Advantage because of an update they need. Please read what Dan posted. Volume Licensing Keys are not sold to individual users but to schools, governments and large business. There are guidlines specified within the end user licensing agreement (EULA) which highlights how software can and can not be transferred. 

The option you have Avemaria is simple. Best solution will be requesting Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs directly from Dell Technical Support.  Contact them @ 1-800- 624-9896. Explain your situation. You will be asked for your service tag number of your system. In turn if the machine is still under warrantee you should be eligible for free a replacement copy of the Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs.  Should the machine not be under warrantee there will be a nominal replacement fee.  Dell technical support will identify all associated costs as well as presenting you with options.  Please have all your original purchasing information available should they require any additional information. This will expedite the process for you.  You will receive the software which is located on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) which should be located on the bottom of your laptop. The other alternative is to submit a piracy report along with the windows software back to Microsoft. If you copies are high quality counterfeit then you may be eligible for a free copy. Hope this provides some help for your situation. 

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:47 PM
  • Avemaria,

Your Dell Inspiron 2200 shipped from Dell with a licensed Windows XP Home edition operating system, as shown by the CoA affixed to the computer.  If you would like to return to the genuine XP Home Operating System that shipped with your Dell, and once again have  Genuine installation of XP Home, there is no MS-supported "shortcut" to revert to XP Home from an XP Pro installation---it has to be done the old-fashioned way.  You will have to do a clean installation of XP Home using the Dell-supplied Operating System Reinstallation CD.  If you do not have the Dell OS Reinstallation CD, Dell will sell you one for about $15 delivered.  Howver, before they will do that, you will have to complete the transfer of ownership form as shown on this page: 

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/change_order/en/tag_transfer

If your Dell was shipped after mid-July 2004, then it may have a recovery partition on the hard disk drive from which you can conduct a destructive reimaging of the hard disk, which has the advantage of being much faster than a disc-based reinstallation.  Hopefully whoever installed the nongenuine copy of XP Pro on the computer did not delete the recovery partition.  To access this function, start the computer, and when you see the Dell startup logo, press and hold the CTRL key, press the F11 key, then immediate release both keys at the same time.  If the recovery partition is still intact, you will see a program called Dell PC Restore by Symantec, or on later models Norton Ghost.  Follow the prompts to run the destructive recovery.

Be sure that you have backed up and offloaded any valuable data before running the recovery because it will be wiped off the computer as part of the recovery!

Friday, June 15, 2007 2:06 PM
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2MDY9-F6J9M-K42BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: jY+nlE0RT38EEXpeUqSdQPABSQc=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 4b87f62e-23de-4be3-8fdc-fdc4de175678
    Validation Diagnostic:

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

BrowserDiagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2MDY9-F6J9M-K42BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: jY+nlE0RT38EEXpeUqSdQPABSQc=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 4b87f62e-23de-4be3-8fdc-fdc4de175678
    Validation Diagnostic:

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>4b87f62e-23de-4be3-8fdc-fdc4de175678</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-K42BQ</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-839522115-1563985344-2147062339</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>Pavilion ZV6000 (PN494AV)         </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.08</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20050322000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>CFDD3407018400D6</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>HP</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Data-->
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>4b87f62e-23de-4be3-8fdc-fdc4de175678</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-K42BQ</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-839522115-1563985344-2147062339</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>Pavilion ZV6000 (PN494AV)         </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.08</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20050322000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>CFDD3407018400D6</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>HP</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, June 18, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Mccraylo,

At first glance, the XP Pro installation on your HP Pavilion ZV6000 seems to be Genuine.  The mgadiag report is showing that you do not have a copy of Office installed.

Do you have a specific question, or are you experiencing a problem?

Monday, June 18, 2007 4:07 PM