none
Help a Student with Consumer/OEM Windows Re-"Deployment" Solutions to prevent bad Upgrade or Install experiences for Customers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm a Student and total noob, and I'm not even sure if I am posting in the correct forum category (sorry/not-sorry), but I just wanted to give a really short introduction to the background of my story and experience before I post my question.

In 2015, Windows 10 was pushed on to my 5 year old Windows 7 laptop while I was beginning my studies - long story short - I lost several assignments, and I had to buy a new laptop - Which had Windows 8 - another long story cut short - I ended up having to buy a retail version of Windows 10 - after the same happened to my new laptop, as the one it just replaced.

High end notebooks are given expansion slots for customers to either - replace or install new hardware - to improve and customise their device from OEM.

Here are some of what infuriated me during the last 3 years:

1) Upgrading from Home to Pro did not require a DVD, however downgrading will require an Original Installation disk for OEM SKU Windows. If the recovery image is set to update with the OS - the recovery image will now Reset, Refresh and Recover a Windows 10 Professional Edition, and not Home.

2) Default installation of Windows will automatically select "Disk 0" - which is fine if you have a previous installation of Windows - however - if you lose your OEM configurations - or replace hard drives - an automated installation does not always give the disk enumeration you want.

2a) This also poses problems during major Windows Updates - RTM, 1511, 1607, 1703. If preinstallation environments are not preloaded with drivers - which they are not; downloading through Media Creation Tool - certain drives are enumerated in different order, especially in the case of the PCIe NVMe SSD.

Here is an example of my 3 year Saga - that I finally managed to work out what was happening - and now I am going to and am in the middle of a project and when finished, aim to release to the ASUS Republic of Gamers Community - who were and are in similar situations as myself. WinPE had previously been configured to load the NVMe driver, and disk enumeration during updates is fine - until the recovery image is updated.

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/6MWknjd.jpg)
    I thought I would wait and see if the original problem in August 2015 - that BSOD my new laptop - would be rectified by 2017. It wasn't - if boot-critical drivers are not properly signed and there is not another replacement, the primary drive is dropped back to standard drivers that affect enumeration but may also affect BCD during Updates. This is why I was motivated to create my own Windows Deployment, and took advantage of my student software - and have converted my laptop to Windows Server 2016 Datacenter - with Thunderbolt working ;).

3) The OEM Partitions could infact hold multiple Edition Windows - as I have reduced the original Windows 10 Home OEM 20GB footprint, to a: Windows 10 Home, Home SL, Pro, Education - with 2017-09 Security Updates & 2017 Hardware drivers - down to a 4GB DVD.

4) Trying to get replacement ISO for installation via Tech Support Chat - was also frustrating as it took several attempts with different MS Representatives:

4a) One time - mentioned I was on my old laptop trying to get an installation for Windows 8 to put on to my new laptop - only to have the technician tell me that I already had Windows 8 on my laptop as I had installed Windows 8.1 Pro Academic on my old Laptop - to try and rebuild the New Laptop - when Windows 10 updated over Windows 8.

4b) Another instance took 4 hours for the technician to provide a working URL for an ISO, because the redirection and current URL for the Windows 8 installation media tool was resolving with a 404 error (which means - the file is not on the server). This was also my opening statement to the technician. 'I just need a working URL for a Windows 8 ISO installation.. here is my Product Key......"

I would like to have my project and solution prevent experiences like mine but also make it more efficient and beneficial for the consumer, to upgrade, downgrade, or clean install.

The biggest challenge in this project - is a scenario where all drives are replaced, and a target drive must be specified for installation. These drives are uninitialised, and without partitions or volumes.

From my childhood - I have always had to install Windows, with recommendations to have only the Primary drive targeted for the System, connected at setup. There are scenarios now - where some disks may not have easy access - such as replacing the Optical Bay with a replacement hard drive.

While it may not matter so much these days with GPT, there are significant delays during the boot process if the enumeration does not have the primary Windows Operating System disk resolved to the first disk found in the device tree - and in a scenario where NVMe is used as the Primary Operating System Disk - consumers are expecting it to perform faster than Solid State Drives using the SATA ports. If the boot process finds the incorrect disk first, and must walk the entire device tree until it finds the NVMe SSD - the performance and fast boot time that NVMe drives are completely negated.

I am currently working on the Windows PE image customisation - however - I have hit this hurdle, and also have several questions to ask:

If answer files cannot have dynamic or variables for disk letters, how can Microsoft guarantee that upgrading Windows Editions, or replacing hardware will yield the identical or desired outcome for drive layout?

If scripts must be created to allocate disk letters at setup - there is currently no method available for consumers - using a MCT installation. Retail installation - allow for a prompt to ask for target disk - but there are cases where MCT will automate the install. Does Microsoft expect consumers to script their own WinPEnvironment setup?

PowerShell is great - and I'm only just starting to explore with it: What does it replace? The standard installation - does not enable powershell during WinPE. If DISM is still used, then current state of command line tools - are frankly - not great for consistency.

Between FSUTIL, DISKPART, WMIC, and PowerShell, here is an example:

=====================================================================================================================================================================================
    DISKPART> DETAIL DISK

NVMe Samsung SSD 950 SCSI Disk Device
    Disk ID: {499AE275-841C-421F-88A9-F1FFA5664C76}
    Type   : NVMe
    Path   : 0
    Target : 0
    LUN ID : 0
    Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1C04)#PCI(0000)#NVME(P00T00L00)
    Current Read-only State : No
    Read-only  : No
    Boot Disk  : Yes
    Pagefile Disk  : No
    Hibernation File Disk  : No
    Crashdump Disk  : No
    Clustered Disk  : No

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
      ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
      Volume 0     C   NB-OS        NTFS   Partition    213 GB  Healthy    Boot
      Volume 1         Recovery     NTFS   Partition    450 MB  Healthy    Hidden
      Volume 2                      FAT32  Partition     99 MB  Healthy    System
      Volume 3                      NTFS   Partition    503 MB  Healthy    Hidden
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DISKPART> DETAIL DISK

Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
    Disk ID: {6EE1D2E1-45AB-492A-A7D1-5AAB3661482F}
    Type   : SATA
    Path   : 3
    Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1F02)#ATA(C03T00L00)
    Boot Disk  : No

Volume 4     E   NB-EXT       NTFS   Partition    429 GB  Healthy
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DISKPART> DETAIL DISK

Kingston DT microDuo 3.0 USB Device
    Disk ID: 0BBDC77A
    Type   : USB
    Path   : 0
    Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
    Boot Disk  : No

Volume 5     I   NB-ROG       FAT32  Removable     14 GB  Healthy

=====================================================================================================================================================================================

wmic:root\cli>DISKDRIVE GET Index,PNPDeviceID,Manufacturer,Model,InterfaceType,SCSIBus
    Index  InterfaceType  Manufacturer            Model                                  PNPDeviceID                                                                         SCSIBus
    0      SCSI           (Standard disk drives)  NVMe Samsung SSD 950 SCSI Disk Device  SCSI\DISK&VEN_NVME&PROD_SAMSUNG_SSD_950\5&3B25DD7E&0&000000                         0
    1      IDE            (Standard disk drives)  Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB              SCSI\DISK&VEN_SAMSUNG&PROD_SSD_850_PRO_512G\4&14E7E349&0&030000                     3
    2      USB            (Standard disk drives)  Kingston DT microDuo 3.0 USB Device    USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KINGSTON&PROD_DT_MICRODUO_3.0&REV_PMAP\94DE80724795BE5119B9159A&0  0
    wmic:root\cli>IDECONTROLLER GET PNPDeviceID,Manufacturer,Name,ProtocolSupported,DeviceId
    DeviceID                                                      Manufacturer       Name                                                   PNPDeviceID                                                   ProtocolSupported
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03&SUBSYS_171D1043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&FA  Intel Corporation  Intel(R) 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller  PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03&SUBSYS_171D1043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&FA  37
    wmic:root\cli>SCSICONTROLLER GET PNPDeviceID,Manufacturer,Name,ProtocolSupported,DeviceId
    DeviceID                                                        Manufacturer                  Name                                 PNPDeviceID                                                     ProtocolSupported
    ROOT\SPACEPORT\0000                                             Microsoft                     Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller  ROOT\SPACEPORT\0000                                             2
    PCI\VEN_144D&DEV_A802&SUBSYS_A801144D&REV_01\4&17C5C7ED&0&00E4  Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd  Samsung NVMe Controller              PCI\VEN_144D&DEV_A802&SUBSYS_A801144D&REV_01\4&17C5C7ED&0&00E4  2
    wmic:root\cli>LOGICALDISK GET DeviceID,Description,DriveType,MediaType,Name,PNPDeviceID
    Description       DeviceID  DriveType  MediaType  Name  PNPDeviceID
    Local Fixed Disk  C:        3          12         C:
    Local Fixed Disk  E:        3          12         E:
    Removable Disk    I:        2                     I:
    wmic:root\cli>PARTITION GET Index,PNPDeviceID,DeviceID,DiskIndex,Name,Type,Description
    Description      DeviceID               DiskIndex  Index  Name                   PNPDeviceID  Type
    GPT: Unknown     Disk #0, Partition #0  0          0      Disk #0, Partition #0               GPT: Unknown
    GPT: System      Disk #0, Partition #1  0          1      Disk #0, Partition #1               GPT: System
    GPT: Basic Data  Disk #0, Partition #2  0          2      Disk #0, Partition #2               GPT: Basic Data
    GPT: Unknown     Disk #0, Partition #3  0          3      Disk #0, Partition #3               GPT: Unknown
    GPT: Basic Data  Disk #1, Partition #0  1          0      Disk #1, Partition #0               GPT: Basic Data
    Unknown          Disk #2, Partition #0  2          0      Disk #2, Partition #0               Unknown

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Disk | Format-List ; Get-Disk | Select -Property Number,Path,Manufacturer,Model,BusType
    UniqueId           : EUI.4a08165a51382500
    Number             : 0
    Path               : \\?\scsi#disk&ven_nvme&prod_samsung_ssd_950#5&3b25dd7e&0&000000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
    Manufacturer       : NVMe
    Model              : Samsung SSD 950
    SerialNumber       : 0000_0000_0000_0000.
    Size               : 238.47 GB
    AllocatedSize      : 230453239808
    LogicalSectorSize  : 512
    PhysicalSectorSize : 512
    NumberOfPartitions : 5
    PartitionStyle     : GPT
    IsReadOnly         : False
    IsSystem           : True
    IsBoot             : True
    UniqueId           : 500253884016362E
    Number             : 1
    Path               : \\?\scsi#disk&ven_samsung&prod_ssd_850_pro_512g#4&14e7e349&0&030000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
    Manufacturer       :
    Model              : Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
    SerialNumber       : S250NXAH130901A
    Size               : 476.94 GB
    AllocatedSize      : 460898787328
    NumberOfPartitions : 2
    PartitionStyle     : GPT
    IsSystem           : False
    IsBoot             : False
    UniqueId           : USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KINGSTON&PROD_DT_MICRODUO_3.0&REV_PMAP\94DE80724795BE5119B9159A&0:NB-G751JY
    Number             : 2
    Path               : \\?\usbstor#disk&ven_kingston&prod_dt_microduo_3.0&rev_pmap#94de80724795be5119b9159a&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
    Manufacturer       : Kingston
    Model              : DT microDuo 3.0
    SerialNumber       : 9B4ED5E18109
    Size               : 14.65 GB
    AllocatedSize      : 15733161984
    NumberOfPartitions : 1
    PartitionStyle     : MBR
    IsSystem           : False
    IsBoot             : False
    Number       : 0
    Path         : \\?\scsi#disk&ven_nvme&prod_samsung_ssd_950#5&3b25dd7e&0&000000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
    Manufacturer : NVMe
    Model        : Samsung SSD 950
    BusType      : NVMe
    Number       : 1
    Path         : \\?\scsi#disk&ven_samsung&prod_ssd_850_pro_512g#4&14e7e349&0&030000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
    Manufacturer :
    Model        : Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
    BusType      : SATA
    Number       : 2
    Path         : \\?\usbstor#disk&ven_kingston&prod_dt_microduo_3.0&rev_pmap#94de80724795be5119b9159a&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
    Manufacturer : Kingston
    Model        : DT microDuo 3.0
    BusType      : USB

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-PhysicalDisk | Format-List ; Get-Disk | Select -Property Number,Path,Manufacturer,Model,BusType
    ObjectId                         : {1}\\NB-G751JY\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_PhysicalDisk.ObjectId="{d8022ad4-7038-11e6-80fa-806e6f
    PassThroughClass                 :
    PassThroughIds                   :
    PassThroughNamespace             :
    PassThroughServer                :
    UniqueId                         : {003bb8bb-0073-d4ae-af79-cafbbfc74ad3}
    Description                      :
    FriendlyName                     : Kingston DT microDuo 3.0
    HealthStatus                     : Healthy
    Manufacturer                     : Kingston
    Model                            : DT microDuo 3.0
    OperationalDetails               :
    OperationalStatus                : OK
    PhysicalLocation                 : Integrated : Adapter 0 : Port 0
    AdapterSerialNumber              :
    AllocatedSize                    : 15733161984
    BusType                          : USB
    CannotPoolReason                 : Removable Media
    CanPool                          : False
    DeviceId                         : 2
    EnclosureNumber                  :
    FirmwareVersion                  : PMAP
    IsIndicationEnabled              :
    IsPartial                        : True
    LogicalSectorSize                : 512
    MediaType                        : Unspecified
    OtherCannotPoolReasonDescription :
    PartNumber                       :
    PhysicalSectorSize               : 512
    Size                             : 15733161984
    SlotNumber                       :
    SoftwareVersion                  :
    SpindleSpeed                     : 0
    SupportedUsages                  : {Auto-Select, Manual-Select, Hot Spare, Retired...}
    UniqueIdFormat                   : Vendor Specific
    Usage                            : Auto-Select
    VirtualDiskFootprint             : 0
    PSComputerName                   :
    ClassName                        : MSFT_PhysicalDisk
    ObjectId                         : {1}\\NB-G751JY\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_PhysicalDisk.ObjectId="{d8022ad4-7038-11e6-80fa-806e6f
    UniqueId                         : EUI.4a08165a51382500
    FriendlyName                     : NVMe Samsung SSD 950
    Manufacturer                     : NVMe
    Model                            : Samsung SSD 950
    PhysicalLocation                 : Integrated : Adapter 0
    AllocatedSize                    : 230453239808
    BusType                          : NVMe
    CannotPoolReason                 :
    CanPool                          : True
    DeviceId                         : 0
    FirmwareVersion                  : 2B0Q
    MediaType                        : SSD
    Size                             : 256060514304
    SupportedUsages                  : {Auto-Select, Manual-Select, Hot Spare, Retired...}
    UniqueIdFormat                   : SCSI Name String
    UniqueId                         : 500253884016362E
    FriendlyName                     : Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
    Manufacturer                     :
    Model                            : Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
    PhysicalLocation                 : Integrated : Adapter 1 : Port 3
    AllocatedSize                    : 460898787328
    BusType                          : SATA
    CannotPoolReason                 :
    CanPool                          : True
    DeviceId                         : 1
    FirmwareVersion                  : EXM04B6Q
    MediaType                        : SSD
    Size                             : 512110190592
    UniqueIdFormat                   : FCPH Name
    Number       : 0
    Path         : \\?\scsi#disk&ven_nvme&prod_samsung_ssd_950#5&3b25dd7e&0&000000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
    Manufacturer : NVMe
    Model        : Samsung SSD 950
    BusType      : NVMe
    Number       : 1
    Path         : \\?\scsi#disk&ven_samsung&prod_ssd_850_pro_512g#4&14e7e349&0&030000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
    Manufacturer :
    Model        : Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
    BusType      : SATA
    Number       : 2
    Path         : \\?\usbstor#disk&ven_kingston&prod_dt_microduo_3.0&rev_pmap#94de80724795be5119b9159a&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
    Manufacturer : Kingston
    Model        : DT microDuo 3.0
    BusType      : USB

According to the MSDN Library Documents - [MSFT_Disk.BusType=NVMe] should resolve to 17. I have yet to find that value in any of the objects that I have parsed with other methods similar to the output above.

With the exception of FSUTIL, all other commands require elevated privileges. It would be much safer to query a BusType without this - however there are no handles available to FSUTIL, and tracing the inheritance back from Win32_DiskDrive : CIM_DiskDrive .... MSFT_Disk - I cannot find any other reference to Disk.BusType.

Why am I interested so much in MSFT_Disk.BusType? Well, WMIC reports interface type for the NVMe as SCSI, and the SATA as IDE. DISKPART DETAIL DISK will report Type of NVME, and SATA. Parsing Device Path or Location - is not uniform - and dependent on which tool is used.

I am making my solution able to account for an installation with an entire notebook available ports are populated with new uninitialised disks, but also able to enumerate effectively in an environment with only commandline, but also the possibility of having PowerShell integrated in a seperate instance. If PowerShell is intended to replace the Terminal Command Prompt of DOS, I am creating my solution to be able to still function in the absence of PowerShell - but also able to use a single tool only, as well as combinations of all: FSUTIL, DISKPART, WMIC and PowerShell.

Which tools should I focus on? Because the lack of correlation between them - is just confusing - and is probably why ALOT of reports of broken installations happen with Windows 10 - and Upgrades. Perhaps, I just don't understand the reasoning behind it all.

If the reasons are subject to disclosure - please relay information back to the Microsoft Engineers - to maybe just one time - think about a total newbie buying a brand spanking new Gaming Laptop - and wanting to replace parts later on down the track - (there's also another issue of pushed updates - online only - in situations where internet connectivity is almost non-existent in some countries - but that is a discussion I have already had with someone in Seattle)

Please pass on the feedback that better methods for setup are available - and if I have a way to correctly find the specific drive each time in my notebook - there is no reason why they cannot - but at the same time - be able to provide better methods to accessing certain member properties - as the convoluted scripts required to query something that should be non-trivial and not require administrative privileges, are just time consuming, and also adding complexity and margin for error.

Should I use answer files? But I cannot designate variables within. So, does Windows System Image Manager offer anything for consumer scenario? Should I use CMD.EXE or PowerShell to Script in the Future?

Here is the current prototype footprint of my project - I am still working on the WinPE scripts - becase - as mentioned above - I am at odds as what to use.

(2017-09 Security Update & ASUS Drivers are updated to a 2017 set)

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/t8MrZGe.png)

Thanks,

NB

Friday, September 29, 2017 1:24 PM

All replies

• This was another point to make: 

5)

http://i.imgur.com/KmdjaY7.jpg

Devices with null drivers need a new status description enum in Device Manager.

"This device has no driver installed" is ambiguous, and often misinterpreted."

This is more informative and better suited:

"This device has no functional requirement for drivers, as specified my the manufacturer."

and 6)

http://i.imgur.com/W2CvBO7.jpg

This is also another reason that Microsoft should take a page from their own book:

Windows Updates that force driver packages do exactly what is described.

Group Policy and Hardware Management override to Never Check Online - are seldom adhered to by the OS.

User Shell Experience will also report that device installation was unable to be completed, due to restricted network.

Please adhere to your own recommendations and QA Test with more attention to detail.

Saturday, September 30, 2017 12:50 AM
  • Hi NeoBeum,

According to your question is more related to Windows, you could post a new thread in following link. You could ask here according to the version of your windows.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

The CLR Forum discuss and ask questions about .NET Framework Base Classes (BCL) such as Collections, I/O, Regigistry, Globalization, Reflection. Also discuss all the other Microsoft libraries that are built on or extend the .NET Framework, including Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF), Charting Controls, CardSpace, Windows Identity Foundation (WIF), Point of Sale (POS), Transactions. 

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 6, 2017 3:04 AM
  • According to your question is more related to Windows, you could post a new thread in following link. You could ask here according to the version of your windows.

but posting there would also be a dead end. If you want a chance of your feedback reaching someone you'll need to use the feedback hub

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4021566/windows-10-send-feedback-to-microsoft-with-feedback-hub-app

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 6, 2017 1:13 PM
  • Student consumer I don't this to use but now a day student online searching study like Australian assignments help for all over the student.But this new information for me I will try at home.
    Friday, October 6, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Less smot poking bro
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:02 AM
  • thanks, the windows forum is really really useless
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:03 AM
  • so, msft_disk is not a base class?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh830493(v=vs.85).aspx

the query for disk bustype is also applicable to every windows edition
    • Edited by NeoBeum Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:16 AM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:05 AM