Proprietary Investment Prices to OFX to Money RRS feed

• Question

• I have purchased an insurance product which allows investments in a number of proprietary mutual fund like products.  These products have no Ticker symbol, and no CUSIP number.  The only way to obtain pricing is to generate a table on the Nationwide website, then copy/paste that table into Excel.  The results look like:

Personal pricing information has been purposely whited-out.

Number of units and unit value are provided to six (6) decimal places, Balance to two (2) decimal places.

While I can easily copy the per unit price, and input that manually into Money, that process is tedious as I have hundreds of investments to scroll through to find the one's of interest (all my old investments over the 20 years or so I have been using MSMoney) in my list in MSMoney.  I would like to simplify the process without deleting all those investments.

Is there some program, or macro, out there that would allow me to convert these to an OFX file which could automatically be imported?  Or some other solution to my problem?  The one's I have found seem geared to either downloading from the web; or, with regard to xls2ofx or xls2qif converters, be designed for bank accounts, and not investment accounts.

Worst case scenario, I could examine the OFX specifications and see what I need to do.  I was hoping not to have to reinvent the wheel.

Thank you.

Ron

Saturday, January 24, 2015 1:54 PM

All replies

• I would try to produce a CSV file that you could feed to  MSMoneyQuotes using the -i control. I would format it the same as the Financial Times CSV files.

If this is successful, you might post a note to help somebody who tries something similar with a different source

http://gaiersoftware.com/Money/FTQuotes

Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:55 PM
  • I'll take a look.  Thanks, Cal.

Ron

Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:41 PM
  • Though I am no longer actively maintain this tool. It has worked in the past.

A command-line tool to convert *.csv (list of transactions) into a *.ofx file that can be imported by MsMoney?.

https://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/Csv2OfxCmd

Sunday, January 25, 2015 2:09 AM
  • Thank you.  But I did not see that your tool was appropriate for investment accounts.  I thought it was only for checking/savings/moneymarket and so forth.  Has that been changed?

Ron

Sunday, January 25, 2015 2:39 AM
  • It has turned out that MSMoneyQuotes is an excellent tool for my purposes.  In Excel, I can easily generate a CSV file with the required columns, and then save it.  MSMoneyQuotes will then import it into MSMoney.

I had to make up "ticker symbols" for the proprietary products since that is how the MSMoneyQuotes decides where to place the information

Also, MSMoneyQuotes apparently uses the the csv file's "last modified date" to determine the update date.  If I create the csv file "the next day", the date would be wrong in MSMoney. So in order for this to work for me, I have to change the csv file's "last modified date".

Finally, MSMoneyQuotes will download other position pricing from MSN, so I'm sure it will become quite useful to me for intra-day pricing updates.

Thanks Cal for the reference.

Ron

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:16 PM