none
When answering, left-side of screen is cut off so can't see entire message thread RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• I've logged a bug on this, it used to happen months and months ago, we fixed it. If it's back, we'll fix it again. Thanks for reporting this problem.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 2:19 AM
    Answerer
  • This appears to be a problem that's cropped up in the past

@ Cindy

It would be helpful if you would cite Message-ID instead of just ThreadId.   Simplest way to get them is to use the  RSS link for the thread or derive a Message-ID link from one of the message's links.   There are just a few simple edits required to do the latter.   Nothing more required to do the former than find the right message that you want to cite.

I'm guessing some kind of update broke this again.

From what I gleaned by following some of the threads there seems to be some animosity towards NNTP bridge users who want to use HTML but haven't quite mastered how to use it to work around some of the deficiencies of the forum software.   More ominously there are also indications that forum management may start limiting the capability that NNTP bridge users have.   That IMO would be unfortunate.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Hi Robert

<<It would be helpful if you would cite Message-ID instead of just ThreadId>>

I haven't a clue what you're on about, here. I copied/pasted the URL for the messages in question from my Browser address box - IOW I pasted a link. Even in the old newsgroups, links were used to websites and it really shouldn't be any problem to work with them as such...

I posted them for forum management, and my interest was the original message in the thread, as that describes the problem. The cause and resolution this time could be something completely different (seeing as those threads date back two years).

<<From what I gleaned by following some of the threads there seems to be some animosity towards NNTP bridge users who want to use HTML but haven't quite mastered how to use it to work around some of the deficiencies of the forum software.   More ominously there are also indications that forum management may start limiting the capability that NNTP bridge users have.>>

To be honest, I haven't been following the trials and tribulations of the Bridge. I attempted using it in its earliest incarnations, but gave up on it. I worked out an efficient enough way of doing forum work as soon as we got IE7 (mutiple tabs) and never saw a reason to try it again.

FWIW, and completely my personal opinion: too many of the old newsreader users (in ng times as well as with the bridge) are very inconsiderate of others in the way they use quotes. You are a laudible exception :-) I tried a couple of times, gently, to let some of my colleagues in my product area (Office) know how awful a full, unedited quote spanning multiple messages is, and the response I got was a shrug and "I can't be bothered". Consideration is a two-way street so, if any of the people involved in those very old discussions encountered Bridge users exuding "entitlement" I can imagine that could lead to a negative opinion about the tool and those who use it.

I do have to wonder if this was also a reason that no effort was made to make the Bridge compatible with the Answers site...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 9:01 AM
  • <<It would be helpful if you would cite Message-ID instead of just ThreadId>>

I haven't a clue what you're on about, here.

@ Cindy

I suspect you will be referring to a message which is inside a thread.   If so, it would be helpful to indicate which one.

For example, your first example referred to this thread

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/7d8cdc1c-4433-4d0b-b0d8-a1a28f799694

but I suspect they really should have been pointing to this message

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/7d8cdc1c-4433-4d0b-b0d8-a1a28f799694#5fd9b4e9-99f7-404d-8cc3-1702eefb4f7f

(which is evidently a fixed version and in the RSS feed is seen to be last.)

That particular link was generated using the RSS feed method but I could have just as easily got it by using right-click on its Quote button, done Copy Shortcut, pasted somewhere

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/7d8cdc1c-4433-4d0b-b0d8-a1a28f799694/5fd9b4e9-99f7-404d-8cc3-1702eefb4f7f/quote

to delete the trailing /quote and backed up to convert the second last / to #.   Those are the "few simple edits" I referred to.

So, do you have any more recent examples that you could cite in that more specific manner?   E.g. you mention "the problem occurs when I click 'Reply'", so I think it would be useful to know which message it occurs on so that people don't have to guess how to try to reproduce your symptom.   Also, you could test whether the problem occurs when you click Reply on the OP which presumably would not be corrupted by someone's reply HTML (although sometimes people do paste incompatible HTML in there too.  <w>)

HTH

Robert
    ---

Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Hi Robert

<<So, do you have any more recent examples that you could cite in that more specific manner?   E.g. you mention "the problem occurs when I click 'Reply'", so I think it would be useful to know which message it occurs on so that people don't have to guess how to try to reproduce your symptom>>

It happens on ALL messages (MSDN forums) when I click reply. As I mentioned, I referenced those other threads only as descriptions of the symptom, not as examples of where I see the problem.

Although I must say, in this particular thread (perhaps because it's not MSDN, or because it's already been fixed?) I'm not seeing the problem. No, it's still there on MSDN. Here's a screen shot of the thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/1e1ef408-6aab-444e-a9ad-1ad52878543e when I click Reply on the very last message in the thread, then scroll up to the first message. Note how the left side is cut off, and no scroll bar. Since this thread isn't very long the problem isn't too bad. But as soon as they get longer more than half of the first message in the thread is cut off.

Sunday, October 9, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Note how the left side is cut off, and no scroll bar.

Oh.   You're still using IE8?  Have you tried this with a different browser?   Tried using its compatibility view?  Another thing to try to generate some scrollbars would be to try using Zoom In (Ctrl-+).   Even in IE9 I occasionally have to use either Maximize (Alt-Space,X) or Fullscreen (F11) to fix some layout quirks in this web app but usually they are on the right side, not the left.   I can't recall not having a horizontal scroll bar in here the way you show but I tend to work around quirky things like that.   For example, this made me remember that in a Sandbox exercise yesterday I was typing and not being able to see what I was getting but just asuming that it was all working somehow.   ; )

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Sunday, October 9, 2011 3:08 PM
  • I don't have this same problem in Google Chrome or in IE9.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Switching browsers isn't a viable option at this time - I don't have the time to familiarize myself with a different UI or way to work. I'm not a browser-oriented person - "it should just work".

None of your suggestions made any difference. But I don't know how to access "compatibility options".

Monday, October 10, 2011 12:34 PM
  • I've had the same issue using Win XP with IE8. It is very annoying especially when I want to refer back to a previous post and I can't see what got pushed off of the left side.

And it looks like IE9 isn't available for Win XP...or am I looking in the wrong place for it. 

Bill Mosca
    http://www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Monday, October 10, 2011 2:57 PM
  • I don't know how to access "compatibility options".

If there is a "torn page" icon at the end of the Address bar click on it.   Otherwise press F12 to get into the Developer Tools, and change either the Browser Mode or the Document Mode or both.   You can also use that to find out how the torn page icon works.   ; )

Another option might be disabling All CSS.   You could do that several ways, the simplest IMO:  View, Style, No Style  (Alt-V,y,N).   Again, the Developer Tools could be used to try to find a workaround, e.g. using its Disable, menu.

I just thought of another possibility, assuming the problem is just lack of scrollbar:  use Middleclick to enable AutoScroll (e.g. click a wheel down).   If you can get one that can move both ways (or only horizontally) chances would be good that you could then scroll the frame, even though it didn't have a scrollbar to do that more normally.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Monday, October 10, 2011 3:54 PM
  • I want to refer back to a previous post and I can't see what got pushed off of the left side.

In that case you could use the workaround that WLSC responders *always* would have to use.  E.g. Middleclick on one of the thread's links which are still visible in a reply window, in order to open it in a new tab.   Then, depending on your definition of Ctrl-Tab (e.g. in Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section) you can refer to the whole thread by Ctrl-Tab and get back by Ctrl-Backtab.  Tip:  this is a feature that so obviously needs to be enhanced with a button or keyboard shortcut for toggling that I have worked out the minimal keystrokes for doing that using the existing UI:  Alt-T,O,Ctrl-Backtab,H,H,CursorUp,CursorUp,CursorUp,Spacebar.   ; )

FYI

Robert
    ---

Monday, October 10, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Hi Robert

No torn page, F12 doesn't have any effect, no middle-click available with my mouse, I've never seen "developer tools" in IE...

At the moment, I use right-click, Open in New Window on the original entry so that I can Alt+Tab back and forth. But it's a PITA.

And just BTW, I'm now seeing the problem in this forum, as well...

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:07 PM
  • No torn page, F12 doesn't have any effect, no middle-click available with my mouse, I've never seen "developer tools" in IE...

At the moment, I use right-click, Open in New Window on the original entry so that I can Alt+Tab back and forth. But it's a PITA.

F12 sometimes doesn't work when you are in an input frame.   In that case either click outside that frame before trying it again or use the Tools menu in the Command bar to find the Developer Tools item in it.   I think IE8 enabled the Command bar with the Tools button by default; otherwise set that up first.   And of course you don't need to use Middeclick to open a new tab;  pressing Ctrl- or Ctrl+Shift- while clicking may be easier than what you are doing though.    ; )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Hi Robert

F12 doesn't work, period, no matter where I've clicked.

There's no "Developer tools" entry in the Tools menu.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:50 AM
  • There's no "Developer tools" entry in the Tools menu.

Is this an English version of  IE8?   Use Help About?  Press Alt-H,A.   If you have enabled the Tools menu in the Command bar you could press Alt-o to see it.   I'm on IE9 right now but I'm sure that IE8 has at least that much in common with it but then I see an item labeled F12 developer tools with the d underlined as an accelerator.   So if it is the same you would be able to use  Alt-o,d  instead of F12.   If necessary I imagine we could also try finding a GPO which could inhibit use of the command, e.g. using ProcMon.  (FWIW I'm on W7 HP so don't have a gpedit.msc to look at.)

HTH

Robert
    ---

Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Hi Robert

Well, Help/About was useful :-) It told me this is IE 7, not 8 (which is probably on the Win7 VMs and occasional laptop I use, so I remembered seeing 8). I couldn't find Help/About for love nor money until you said Alt+H.

OK, so I assume IE 7 has no Developer Tools and I'd already be in "compatibility mode"...

Alt+o, d would Delete Browsing History.

And yes, this is an English language version. No idea what a "GPO" is.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:20 PM