Genuine Microsoft Software- Volume License Key (VLK) RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my computer from JB HiFi with Windows XP. I just tried to download Windows Media Player 11 when the shenanigans began.
    I dont think i should have to pay again when my computer cost like a grand!!!
    What should I do?
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hello cozmicachia,

If the computer had a CoA for XP Pro, you could try the PK Updater utility, but the PK Updater cannot change an installation of XP Pro (what you have now) into an installation of XP Home (what the computer is properly licensed to run as shown on the CoA).

In the USA, eMachines generally charges about $25 to send you a set of of recovery CDs if you have lost yours.  I have no idea what the prices and availability are in Australia.

Backing up the computer can be a complex task, or if you are willing to make some compromises, can be as simple as copying the files you want to save to someplace else, which could be an external hard disk drive, a flash drive, burn it to discs, or maybe even over a network to another computer's hard drive.  You can even use your iPod as storage.

You can Get Genuine without absolutely positively having to back up (even though it's always a good idea to back up anything you can't afford to lose) if you purchase a WGA Kit.  They will send you a Product Key for XP Pro and you can use the PK Updater to try to genuine-ize the installation of Windows.  (They also send you a genuine XP Pro CD in the mail, too.) However, this is definitely going to cost more than a flash drive or external hard drive would cost.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hello cozmicachia,

Please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Next look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:42 PM
  • THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.
    IN RESPONSE TO UR QUESTIONS IVE BEEN USING WINDOWS HOME EDITION
    IT IS AN eMACHINES ACER COMPUTER AND THE DOCUMENTS WITH THE COMPUTER HAVE A CO. AND A PRODUCT KEY.

HERES THE PASTED INFO,

THANKS AGAIN

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-4RHJG-83M4Y-7X9GW
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5CG2aCaHENU8LMWFFoQ/184emQ0=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-649-6478953-23373
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {01F4CBD2-053F-428C-99C7-143D2257AA5B}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{01F4CBD2-053F-428C-99C7-143D2257AA5B}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-7X9GW</PKey><PID>55274-649-6478953-23373</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1004336348-1897051121-1417001333</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>eMachines</Manufacturer><Model>EL1600</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>AMI</Manufacturer><Version>R01-A1</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20090317000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>69B63C7F0184E064</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>AUS Eastern Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 18AAF:Acer Incorporated|1A547:Elitegroup Computer Systems Co Ltd|1D69A:emachines inc|1D69A:Gateway, Inc|13FDE:GENUINE C&C INC|18FF0:HITACHI, Ltd|18FF0:HITACHI, Ltd|18FF0:HITACHI, Ltd
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Backup your important files, then see: How to perform an eMachine Full Factory Recovery
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:05 AM
  • Is there anything i can do without having to restore the system? I dont have any means to back up my computer at the moment
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:47 AM
  • Hello cozmicachia,

If the computer had a CoA for XP Pro, you could try the PK Updater utility, but the PK Updater cannot change an installation of XP Pro (what you have now) into an installation of XP Home (what the computer is properly licensed to run as shown on the CoA).

In the USA, eMachines generally charges about $25 to send you a set of of recovery CDs if you have lost yours.  I have no idea what the prices and availability are in Australia.

Backing up the computer can be a complex task, or if you are willing to make some compromises, can be as simple as copying the files you want to save to someplace else, which could be an external hard disk drive, a flash drive, burn it to discs, or maybe even over a network to another computer's hard drive.  You can even use your iPod as storage.

You can Get Genuine without absolutely positively having to back up (even though it's always a good idea to back up anything you can't afford to lose) if you purchase a WGA Kit.  They will send you a Product Key for XP Pro and you can use the PK Updater to try to genuine-ize the installation of Windows.  (They also send you a genuine XP Pro CD in the mail, too.) However, this is definitely going to cost more than a flash drive or external hard drive would cost.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Thanks again for your help, its unfortunate that you need to continue to pay for something you already paid for. I think i will just leave it as i only backed my system up a month ago ad it took so much mucking around to put it all back on.

The COA says its a Home Edition but the computer can start up in Professional.
    I dont know its all too confusing... i just wanted windows media player 11 but i can use winamp.

Thanks so much again for all your time and help!
    :)
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:34 AM