Office validation failed, then didn't, then ... RRS feed

• Question

• Three weeks ago I had a bad stick of ram that had to be replaced.  After I replaced the ram I reloaded XP Home and MS Office XP Small Business.  The computer is not on a network and I am the only user.  There have been no hardware changes to the computer except for a 512K stick of Ram.

I went through the activation process and a message on the screen said MS Office was activated. I was not asked to to provide the product ket on the Office XP case.

Everything works fine on the PC except that now when I try to download 'add ons' for Word 2002, I am requested to validate the software.  The validation fails.  I tried several times.   There was no yellow Active X information bar at the top of the window when I was requested to validate Office so I tried the ‘alternate’ method. That information bar appears on other programs.

I tried the OGA (Office Genuine Advantage) troubleshooter and the results stated:

“Validation Incomplete, your copy of Microsoft Office has not been activated.”  But all my Office programs report that the software is activated when I click that item in the Help menu.

I went through another process of several steps having to do with the PC label.  This resulted in being advised to contact Dell Computer.  I don't see this to be a Dell problem. The computer is about 4 years old and was working fine till this problem.

I e-mailed Microsoft Support about the problem. They advised to start the PC in Safe mode, click the ‘Security’ tab of ‘Properties’ for the data.dat and data.bak files.  Then click ‘Advanced’, the ‘Permission’ tab, select ‘Everyone’, click ‘Edit’ and select the ‘Full Control’ check box.  Then I was told to click ‘OK’ three times.  Then try to validate Office XP again.   There was no ‘OK’ or anything resembling an ‘OK’ at the ‘Full Control’ screen plus when I selected ‘Full Control’ check box there was no indication that I was to do anything or that anything changed. I wonder how many people have gone thought this useless exercise.

I then discovered this site and the diagnostics.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0723.1):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Detailed Status: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT

Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=

Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00102

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom

ID: 2ac74a49-bca4-4ede-a9c3-1baf49a610a8

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial: Yes

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic:

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A

File Exists: No

Version: N/A

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 101 Not Activated

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.18.0

Office Diagnostics: 3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>2ac74a49-bca4-4ede-a9c3-1baf49a610a8</UGUID><Version>1.5.0723.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey

>*****-*****-*****-*****-4C8MT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1229272821-1645522239-839522115</SID><SYSTEM>

<Manufacturer>Dell

Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension XPS </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A01</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030428000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>D7F23A6F01848063</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern

Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>

<Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91130409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Small Business</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>B620EB66F5CBBAA</Val><Hash>rxblVLWSb9b2Pv5uEXoeuQ60WsE=</Hash><Pid>54188-OEM-1793413-74165</Pid><PidType>4</PidType><

/Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

-------------------------------------------------

As I said above, all my Office programs report that the software is activated when I click that item in the Help menu.

Then I discovered the advise at this site about deleting the data.dat file and reactivate.  I did this. (again I was not requested to provide the 25 character product key).  The activation worked and I was able to download an Office ‘add-on’,  MS reader.

Now a new report says that office is genuine

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0723.1):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Detailed Status: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT

Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=

Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00102

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom

ID: 2ac74a49-bca4-4ede-a9c3-1baf49a610a8

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial: Yes

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic:

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A

File Exists: No

Version: N/A

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 100 Genuine

Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>2ac74a49-bca4-4ede-a9c3-1baf49a610a8</UGUID><Version>1.5.0723.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4C8MT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1229272821-1645522239-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension XPS                </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A01</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030428000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>D7F23A6F01848063</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>              <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91130409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Small Business</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>B620EB66F5CBBAA</Val><Hash>rxblVLWSb9b2Pv5uEXoeuQ60WsE=</Hash><Pid>54188-OEM-1793413-74165</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

GRRR!!!  Now after a reboot I am back at the beginning --- Cannot validate --- Diagnostics say 101 Not Activated --- Office Programs say “Product is Activated”.

Thanks for reading this far.  Any ideas how to proceed?

Don

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 11:09 PM

Answers

• Tcreek:

Activation is inherently an online process, by telephone or internet. Activation was failing because you were not connected to the internet. If you need to perform an activation while you are not connected to the internet, choose “Activate using Telephone” on the first page of the Activation wizard.

Renaming or deleting ‘data.dat’ makes all Office XP programs forget their activation status, this is how Office XP Small Business became ‘de-activated’. Simply re-activate while connected to the internet to correct this.

Let me know if you have any other problems, we’ll be happy to help.

-tjackson

Monday, January 29, 2007 5:58 PM
  • I feel I am repeating myself but...

Three times I have deleted data.dat and then went through the re-activation process on the internet.   After each of these times, I went through the validation process for 'Office XP Small Business' and each time validation passed.   The diagnostic report says, "Office Status: 100 Genuine".  

Then whenever I reconnect to the internet and try to download an add-on,  validation again fails with the explanation "The validation process could not be completed because your copy of Microsoft has not been activated".  The diagnostic report then says, " Office Status: 101 Not Activated".

Yet whenever I am off-line the diagnostic report  ALWAYS  says, "Office Status: 100 Genuine".  And all of my Office programs report that the software is activated when I click that item in the Help menu. 

I use MSN 9.5 dial up and have IE 7.  To me it seems that there may be a conflict between my browsers and the Microsoft activation / validation process.

I will use the PC "as is".  The automatic updates work ok and I don't want any more add-ons.

Thanks to everyone.

Don

Monday, January 29, 2007 7:42 PM

All replies

• 1. In Windows Explorer, double-click Local Disk (drive:).
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    3. Under Files and Folders, make sure that the Show hidden files and folders check box is selected, and then click OK.
    4. Locate and then open the following folder:
    your drive letter:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA
    5. Delete the Opa11.dat file.
    6. To complete the activation of Office 2003, start any Office 2003 program.
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:46 AM
  • Thanks Carey, but there is not a file named “Opa11.dat” in that location or anywhere else on the computer.

I have another question.  Everything works very well on my PC except for this problem.  Why do I need to validate Office XP.  I can live without any more ‘add ons’ to Office XP.  These products are 2002 vintage.

I was also wondering why I did not have to submit the product key when activating Office XP.  The hard drive was reformatted when I reinstalled XP and Office.  Maybe that would solve the problem if they asked for this key.  The heading on the screen message was “Microsoft Office XP Small Business Activation Wizard” with the body reading “ The only customer information needed to activate this product is the country/region where the product will be used ……

When I e-mailed Microsoft Support I included the 25 character product key. 

Also I have a data.dat file in the Windows Genuine Advantage folder and in the Office Genuine Advantage folder if these have any bearing on this problem.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 3:46 AM
  • OK, try this:

1. Click Start, click Run, type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data, and then click OK.
    2. Right-click the Data.dat file, and then click Delete.

Important Do not delete the data.bak file.
    3. Close the folder.
    4. Start an Office XP program to start the Office XP Activation Wizard.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 3:55 AM
  • Note, in the middle of my original post, that I tried the deletion of the Data.dat file and that this allowed activation and validation of Office XP.  But only temporarily, till the next reboot.
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Office".  After doing so, reboot your computer.  Does the message go away?
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 4:28 PM
  • After I delete data.dat I go throught the activation process and Office XP is activated.  The diagnostic report for Office says "Office Status:101 Genuine".  The MS Validations site says "Validation Successful".

Sometime later I check the diagnostic report and it says " Office Status: 101 Not Activated". The MS Validation site says something as:  "Validation failed because Office has not been activated".

In a post above I said that the status changed after a reboot but the status changes without a reboot. I tried opening and closing Office programs and the diagnostics always returned: "Office Status 101 Genuine".    I have went through the process of deleting data.dat several times with the same result as described.  I get  "Office Status:101 Genuine" and sometime later "Office Status: 101 Not Activated". This last time the status changed  was after I connected to the internet.  I don't know if this is the culprit for the status change or not.

Thanks for your input,

Don

Thursday, January 18, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Also, no matter the status of activation, choosing "Activate Office" in any of the Office programs Help Menus returns; "The product is activated."

Thursday, January 18, 2007 5:12 PM
  • Did your copy of Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition come with your Dell PC originally?
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 8:45 PM
  • Yes, Microsoft Office Small Business came with my Dell PC purchased 3 1/2 years ago.

Here is something else I don't understand. 

When I am not connected to the internet, diagnostics says this:

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 100 Genuine

Office Diagnostics:

When I am connected, diagnostics says this:

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 101 Not Activated

Office Diagnostics: 3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02312-80004005

I do nothing to the data.dat file to get these results.

I am about to give up on this problem as the PC works fine otherwise.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:53 PM
  • Hi Tcreek,

I have reviewed your posts and the behavior you are seeing is quite bizarre.  I am going to ask one of developers to review the postings and maybe offer some suggestions.  I REALLY appreciate this last post specifically (about 'genuine' while online and 'not activated' when offline).  I have not seen or heard of this behavior being exhibited before.

Hang tight and I'll try to get you some additional info/suggestions.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, January 25, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Thanks Michelle,

I have tried several things suggested by Microsoft Support but to no avail.

Here is the last email from MS with suggested resolutions that I have not tried.  I am not clear about what is being said at the paragraph where I have inserted the triple question marks.  I do not see how activating by phone will solve the problem of the de-activation when I log on to the net. Plus I don't like to fool aound with the system files as the PC works fine otherwise.

If you cannot come up with a fairly simple solution I am happy to use the PC as it is.

Thanks again, Don

CASE_ID_NUM: SRZ070115002924

Based on the Knowledge Base, the original issue can be caused by the activation issue of the Office Product Key, contacting the Activation Center to manually activate it by Phone can be the resolution as mentioned in my previous email. At this point, according to the previous troubleshooting information, I suggest we first reinstall the Office Genuine Validation Engine and then rename the data.dat file again and then re-activate the Office XP by Phone to check if the validation can work fine. Let's try to the following steps to further troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Install the OGA engine manually

==========================

1. Download the ActiveX cab file from the following link and then save it to the Desktop.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=58813

Open the downloaded cab file and we will find the following two files:

OGACheckControl.dll

OGAControl.inf

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "%windir%\system32" (without quotations) and press Enter. Copy the LegitCheckControl.dll files into the opened system32 folder.

3. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "REGSVR32 OGACheckControl.dll" (without the quotations) and press Enter. We will see a popup message stating this process succeeded.

4. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "inf" (without quotations) and press Enter. Copy the OGAControl.inf  file into the opened inf folder.

5. Right click on the copied OGAControl.inf file in the inf folder, and then choose Install. The OGA engine will be installed automatically.

After we finish the above steps, please restart the computer and try to validate Office again.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/WhyValidate.aspx?familyid=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en

???Can we pass the validation successfully? If we do pass the validation successfully this time, we can conclude that the validation issue is now resolved and we need to try the further troubleshooting steps.???

If not, let's move on to the step 2 to re-activate the Office Product by phone.

Step 2: Re-activate the Office Product by Phone

================================

Step 1: Rename the data.dat

-----------------------

1. Open the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

2. Locate the data.dat and daold files

Step 2: Contact the Activation Center

-------------------------

Restart the computer and contact the Microsoft Activation Center to re-activate the Office XP program. The Office Activation Center can be reached at (888) 652-2342 from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM Pacific Time.

If anything is unclear or there is any concern in my email, please don't hesitate to let me know, I am glad to follow up.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Saturday, January 27, 2007 12:29 AM
  • One other thing that may cause confusion in my prior posts.  I mentioned that validation passed.

I can activate Office by deleting or renaming the data.dat file WHILE I am connected to the internet and this allows validation to pass.

If I activate Office while NOT connected to the internet and then connect, validation will fail because Office XP Small Business become de-activated somehow.

I have no viruses or spyware.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 1:04 AM
  • Tcreek:

Activation is inherently an online process, by telephone or internet. Activation was failing because you were not connected to the internet. If you need to perform an activation while you are not connected to the internet, choose “Activate using Telephone” on the first page of the Activation wizard.

Renaming or deleting ‘data.dat’ makes all Office XP programs forget their activation status, this is how Office XP Small Business became ‘de-activated’. Simply re-activate while connected to the internet to correct this.

Let me know if you have any other problems, we’ll be happy to help.

-tjackson

Monday, January 29, 2007 5:58 PM
  • I feel I am repeating myself but...

Three times I have deleted data.dat and then went through the re-activation process on the internet.   After each of these times, I went through the validation process for 'Office XP Small Business' and each time validation passed.   The diagnostic report says, "Office Status: 100 Genuine".  

Then whenever I reconnect to the internet and try to download an add-on,  validation again fails with the explanation "The validation process could not be completed because your copy of Microsoft has not been activated".  The diagnostic report then says, " Office Status: 101 Not Activated".

Yet whenever I am off-line the diagnostic report  ALWAYS  says, "Office Status: 100 Genuine".  And all of my Office programs report that the software is activated when I click that item in the Help menu. 

I use MSN 9.5 dial up and have IE 7.  To me it seems that there may be a conflict between my browsers and the Microsoft activation / validation process.

I will use the PC "as is".  The automatic updates work ok and I don't want any more add-ons.

Thanks to everyone.

Don

Monday, January 29, 2007 7:42 PM