WHS2011 crashed - reinstalled now can't get Domain to "register" RRS feed

• Question

• Had to rebuild my windows 2011 server after a hard drive crash. I reinstalled WHS2011 and everything works fine. I just can not get the Domain Name to setup t keeps giving me a generic error.

An Error occurred while setting up your domain name

The domain name was not set up for your server. Wait a few minutes and run the wizard again.

An unexpected or unknown problem occurred. Please wait a few minutes, and then try again.

I have waited over 12 hours and it still will no work. I am using AT&T U-Verse have had the ports set to forward (since I was using it before the crash) and everything worked. I am unsure of what is causing this issue. I am trying to use the Domain Name set-up through Microsoft using my live account. I have checked time zone settings and verified that my ports are indeed open. Can anyone point me to the root cause of this issue.

Thanks

Jason

Network Engineer

Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:50 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedbacks.

Please see this notification, we are actively working on this issue, sorry for the inconvenience.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/8140a905-419d-4ee9-bb7c-898df26e4530

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows Server Program Manager

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:18 AM
  • The service is back online now; Thank you for your patience and support.

Jason, for small home offices that need simplified admin interface, automatic client backup, and easy anywhere access, Windows Server 2012 Essentials is a proper option.

Regarding the notification of servcie outrages, for short term, we will notify this forum as soon as we can confirm the issue. For long term, we are looking at a better way. Thank you for your feedback.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows Server Program Manager

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:49 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:42 PM

All replies

• I'm having exactly the same issue with Domain Name, so you're not alone.  Been working on it since last night and I've done everything from restoring from backup to completely re-installing the Server Essentials but still no luck.  I would be interested in hearing people's idea's also.

Nate

Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Hi all, i too have the same issue, also been working on this since last night, Even setting up another live account does the same thing

"An Error occurred while setting up your domain name

The domain name was not set up for your server. Wait a few minutes and run the wizard again.

An unexpected or unknown problem occurred. Please wait a few minutes, and then try again."

I'm not Impressed one bit...

Been searching google for a while with no luck.. :-(

Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:08 PM
  • I wonder if the service is down, or if by chance Microsoft has already pulled the plug on WHS2011 because of Server 2012 Essentials... Like the rest of you guys - it has been un-helpful to Bing/Google for any answer...

God I hope not as Server 2012 is NOT a replacement option for this type of system. Microsoft as a loyal (and I mean LOYAL) user of your system, bring back WHS - it is really needed and NONE of your products are a "solution" to replace WHS platform.

Jason

Sunday, September 23, 2012 9:43 PM
  • I just performed a fresh installation of WHS 2011 and am also experiencing the same error. I have tried using three different live accounts, one of which I created only 15 minutes ago, tried reinstalling the Live Sign-In Assistant, and updating the the clock from a .gov server; none of these helped.

FYI - I am also on ATT U-Verse, and have all ports forwarded correctly. Anxious to see a resolution.

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Given the number of similar reports on this and other Forums, it sounds like a Microsoft problem - you are just going to have to wait it out.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Couple of threads popping up on this Jason - I'm seeing same issue so going by the responses and other threads I think its safe to assume the problem is not at our end....

Cheers.

Monday, September 24, 2012 9:21 PM
  • With all this technology Microsoft should have a site to tell it's consumers what services are running and which ones currently have problems bit like Virgin Media - It's a much need information that way stops us poor plonkers wasting bloody hours mucking around when its not needed... I'm getting really miffed with Microsoft and there lack of regard to there loyal customers....

COME ON MICROSOFT SORT IT OUT Geeeeee.

• Edited by GonzoUK Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:39 AM code should have not been there
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:38 AM
  • Thanks for the feedbacks.

Please see this notification, we are actively working on this issue, sorry for the inconvenience.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/8140a905-419d-4ee9-bb7c-898df26e4530

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:18 AM
  • Ning,

First off thank you for a reply - not to turn this into a bitch thread but I would like to share frustration's with Microsoft's idea that Server 2012 Foundation is the answer to WHS. I have looked at this "solution" and I can say that the selling points of WHS are not in Server 2012... Most users do not want to create an AD structure - or even deal with it. The website for RWW is not there in the same manor - Media Share is not there -- the list can go on and on... and on a further note - can we invent a system where we the users get notified of these outages when they happen so they don't waste 2 or 3 days trying to get something to work - only to find out that it is out of our control?

Thanks in advance,

Jason Fields

Senior Network Engineer

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:44 AM
  • Hi, I rebuilt my WHS Server yesterday and also was unable to register my domain - BUT i tried it about 30 mins ago and the registration has gone through! :-)
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:48 AM
  • The service is back online now; Thank you for your patience and support.

Jason, for small home offices that need simplified admin interface, automatic client backup, and easy anywhere access, Windows Server 2012 Essentials is a proper option.

Regarding the notification of servcie outrages, for short term, we will notify this forum as soon as we can confirm the issue. For long term, we are looking at a better way. Thank you for your feedback.

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:49 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:42 PM