Windows Home Server will not boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got an Acer Aspire EasyStore AH340 Home Server .  This morning it stopped working ... and it does not seem to recognize my harddrives (the lights for the HDs don't light up ... so that's my best guess).

I'm trying to recover my data.  I stupidly did not set duplication to be on (as most of my stuff is not important).  I've been trying to reformat a computer so I put all my baby's home video on that home server and now I can't seem to get them back.

I've plugged the drive into one of my Windows XP boxes and I can see the files but I can't copy or open them.  It tells me that I don't have access to open them.  There are no files in the hidden DE directory (since duplication is turned off).

I booted my Windows XP box with Ubuntu 9.10.  I can copy the files over great but they still will not open.

Is there an actual way to get my files back or am I basically screwed?  As a last resort, do you think a data recovery place will be able to help me out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Friday, January 1, 2010 4:38 AM

All replies

• Sorry to hear you encountered such a nasty problem.

Did you check all drives for your files? The files can either be in the hidden DE folder on the second (largest) partition of your system drive or in the hidden DE folder in the root any of you data drives. Also please checkout the FAQ post How to recover data after server failure.

Friday, January 1, 2010 7:46 AM