Option to Change Workgroup Name When Setting Up WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• My guess is that most people who will purchase this product have several PCs in their homes and already have some sort of established Workgroup set up so that they can share printers, data, etc.  It's likely that these people will have also set up some other name for their workgroup other than 'Home' which is the default workgroup in WHS. 

It would be nice if during the setup program the wizard asked if there was already a workgroup in place, or what name the 'owner' of the system wanted to use for the workgroup.  That way the individual clients won't need to be reconfigured to be able to talk to the server, if there is already a workgroup in place.

I had a different workgroup name in place and my clients couldn't see the WHS server until I changed the workgroup name.  We should give people the option to change the name of the workgroup during setup - or at least notify them that all their client PCs need to be in the same workgroup in order to access the server.

According to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx, The default workgroup name in Windows Vista has been changed to WORKGROUP. In Windows® XP Home Edition, the default workgroup name is MSHOME.  In both environments the default name is going to be different than what WHS uses by default. 

I would think we could simplify the configuration of this for our customers to ensure that their client PCs will more easily be able to connect to the server.

Cliff

Sunday, February 25, 2007 2:52 AM

All replies

• Yes, fully agree. We need a setup option to specify workgroup and server name.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:49 AM
  • Yes.  Agree, my workgroup was determined by company's laptop.  In order to get connectivity with work laptop, named home workgroup same as corporate Domain.   I am having some issues with getting laptop to see WHS server as expect this little trick does not work with a server.   Will provide a separate post once I have done some more testing.

Cliff Hall

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:57 AM
  • Even in foreign locale, the networknames are beeing translated

I'm Using Vista UK on the notebook, & Home / Pro versions of the dutch XP on the other computers, and every time the workgroup is different

Further, I also have my own naming for the network, so beeing able to change it would be a welcome item

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:49 AM
  • It's very easy to change the workgroup name. See e.g. this post.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:49 PM
  • Ken yes its very easy for "us" technologist however an average home user doesnt know how to change a workgroup , how to change ip address . Usually thier network is setup by a consultant or thier next door neighbor.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 1:11 AM
  • It may not be difficult to change the name and workgroup, but it's still something that should be done during setup. I didn't notice the issue until after setting up a connnector on the laptop. After changing the workgroup and name, I had to re-setup the connector since it wasn't able to find the "new" server. This should be a standard setup optipon. For that matter, the IP setup should be accessable during setup as well.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:25 AM
  • Just a comment... from my experience so far, it appears that WHS does not care if all the PC's on your home network share the same workgroup as the server. I had already had my home network setup with a non-standard workgroup name and after installing WHS on a spare machine everything worked just fine ont he WHS with its default workgroup. I changed the workgroup on the WHS just to be thorough but it didn't make a difference in how WHS worked. Don't know why it works but it does!

However... I still think the WHS install process (or first boot on a pre-installed machine) should ask the user if they want to specify the workgroup name (and server name for that matter.)

Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:51 AM
  •  PMSNet wrote:

Just a comment... from my experience so far, it appears that WHS does not care if all the PC's on your home network share the same workgroup as the server. I had already had my home network setup with a non-standard workgroup name and after installing WHS on a spare machine everything worked just fine ont he WHS with its default workgroup. I changed the workgroup on the WHS just to be thorough but it didn't make a difference in how WHS worked. Don't know why it works but it does!

However... I still think the WHS install process (or first boot on a pre-installed machine) should ask the user if they want to specify the workgroup name (and server name for that matter.)

Just like PMSNet, I'm having no problems with different workgroups.  My Vista laptop and XPPro desktop can work together just fine on the existing workgroup while both accessing WHS with its own workgroup.  If it just "works", then maybe this would be a non-issue for the target market (i.e., non-techies).

Sunday, March 4, 2007 6:47 PM
  •  r3c0n wrote:
    Ken yes its very easy for "us" technologist however an average home user doesnt know how to change a workgroup , how to change ip address . Usually thier network is setup by a consultant or thier next door neighbor.

Joe user will be purchasing WHS as an appliance rather than installing it on a piece of hardware.  Having the option in the install would be preferable and reasonable as it's not going to be seen by non Techies.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 8:23 PM