Genuine Software RRS feed

• Question

• I build my own PC's - with the exception of my laptop, and have always made sure that the operating system etc., are the genuine article.  All my machines have either full retail or genuine OEM software installed. 

While I am not having any problems with WGA.  I did have to do a phone activation when I repaired a PC recently - which was a royal pain at 2am!

I dont have a problem by and large with MS issuing a program that will confirm that your software is the real deal.  What I do object to is the stealth issue of BETA software, that 'phones home' sending data from my machines to some unknown server somewhere in the world, and doing all the things that spyware does.  It certainly does not inspire trust in MS.

Saturday, July 1, 2006 8:48 AM

Answers

• Technobob,

Who you trust is a matter of personal preference.

All I can tell you is that the Notifications tool is not spyware, is not stealth software (the EULA said it was going to connect to servers), and does not send any data from your machine.

The Notifications tool was not Beta software, it was a pilot program.  You may not know this, but Microsoft's original deployment of Product Activation was in a pilot program in some copies of Office 2000 that were distributed in six countries.  See the 10th and 11th questions at this link:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_how.mspx  Microsoft uses the term pilot program to describe the implementation of a technology (like Product Activation or Notifications) that is phased in gradually by geographic region.

Saturday, July 1, 2006 5:11 PM

All replies

• Technobob,

Who you trust is a matter of personal preference.

All I can tell you is that the Notifications tool is not spyware, is not stealth software (the EULA said it was going to connect to servers), and does not send any data from your machine.

The Notifications tool was not Beta software, it was a pilot program.  You may not know this, but Microsoft's original deployment of Product Activation was in a pilot program in some copies of Office 2000 that were distributed in six countries.  See the 10th and 11th questions at this link:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_how.mspx  Microsoft uses the term pilot program to describe the implementation of a technology (like Product Activation or Notifications) that is phased in gradually by geographic region.

Saturday, July 1, 2006 5:11 PM
  • IMHO WGA Is Spyware, for the following reasons: 

It installed by pretending to be something else e.g. a security update

Did not give a EULA to accept or decline or a way to uninstall.

Phones home and we find out it does send data eg HDD serial number, BIOS Details, IP address, although MS say they dont store them -do I believe it? hmmmmmmmm!

This original version installed with all the other critical and security updates - stealthily.

Therefore it complies with the description of SPYWARE!!

What is even worse is that MS pushed out BETA software as a finished work.  Before you start saying that it is a pilot program, let me say that in my world (IT) Pilot program=experimental=pre-release=BETA.

I have just removed Vista Beta and office 2007 beta from my test machine, and dont think I will be using it if this is the sort of thing we are going to have to put up with.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 7:16 AM
  •  Technobob wrote:

IMHO WGA Is Spyware, for the following reasons: 

It installed by pretending to be something else e.g. a security update

Wrong.  It was listed as a high-priority update, issued on the last Tuesday of the month.  Security updates are listed as security updates and issued on the second Tuesday of the month.

It is appropriate for MS to classify the Notifications tool as a high priority update since nongenuine software is more likely to be vulnerable to external threats, and is more likely to be compromised from a security point of view (embedded rootkits, trojans , etc.).  The Notifications tool is designed to raise public awareness about counterfeit software and the potential it has for compromising security, as well as the economic harm done to the software and computer industry from the largest companies down to the corner computer store.

Technobob wrote:
    Did not give a EULA to accept or decline or a way to uninstall.

Wrong.  The Notifications Tool has always had a EULA.  If you have automatic updates set to install automatically, you are agreeing to the EULA, otherwise, how could the updates install automatically?  If you did not have AU set, Notifications has a EULA that has to be agreed to manually.

Technobob wrote:
    Phones home and we find out it does send data eg HDD serial number, BIOS Details, IP address, although MS say they dont store them -do I believe it? hmmmmmmmm!

Wrong.  WGA collects a lot of not personally identifiable information about the computer and the installation of XP.  If your purpose is to monitor a given installation of XP on a given computer to measure EULA compliance, this information has to be collected.  But, the Notifications Tool collects NO information.  It contacts a MS server and asks if it should turn itself off.  Period.

Technobob wrote:
    This original version installed with all the other critical and security updates - stealthily.

Wrong.  The Notifications tool was deployed on the fourth Tuesday; critical security updates come out on the second Tuesday, so your claims of it being stealthily sneaked in mixed with security updates are preposterous.  And it has a EULA that has to be agreed to, so how can you possibly say with a straight face that this was "stealthily" deployed?

Technobob wrote:
    Therefore it complies with the description of SPYWARE!!

Therefore your description is grossly inaccurate.  By applying the facts of the situation and not hyperbole, by any reasonable definition the Notifications tool is not spyware.

Ask yourself a simple question---what "spying" did your so-called spyware do?  Answer:  None.

Technobob wrote:
    What is even worse is that MS pushed out BETA software as a finished work.  Before you start saying that it is a pilot program, let me say that in my world (IT) Pilot program=experimental=pre-release=BETA.

You are of course entitled to hold that view, even though it demonstrates a limited understanding of big-picture software deployment.

Technobob wrote:
    I have just removed Vista Beta and office 2007 beta from my test machine, and dont think I will be using it if this is the sort of thing we are going to have to put up with.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 4:50 PM
  • Dan

Firstly, this program was included with a bunch of other security updates, it DID NOT pop up a EULA and windows update is strictly manual. 

With all due respect, it would be nice if someone actually employed by Microsoft would look at these forums and realize the anger this saga has produced, along with the damage to microsofts image. 

The UK BBC website has a 'have your say' on this issue and makes interesting reading.

IF YOU ARE WATCHING MICROSOFT-READ MY LIPS

WE PAYING CUSTOMERS DO NOT WANT THIS GARBAGE ON OUR MACHINES!!!!

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 11:34 PM
  • Simple questiom: since when is a beta product considered  Hight-Priority?

I do happen to be a software engineer,  and a beta product would never be put into production, especially wehn it efftecs the OS. 

Any yes I do own a legite copy WinXP Pro.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 3:25 AM
  •  Technobob wrote:

I build my own PC's - with the exception of my laptop, and have always made sure that the operating system etc., are the genuine article.  All my machines have either full retail or genuine OEM software installed. 

While I am not having any problems with WGA.  I did have to do a phone activation when I repaired a PC recently - which was a royal pain at 2am!

I dont have a problem by and large with MS issuing a program that will confirm that your software is the real deal.  What I do object to is the stealth issue of BETA software, that 'phones home' sending data from my machines to some unknown server somewhere in the world, and doing all the things that spyware does.  It certainly does not inspire trust in MS.

Sunday, July 9, 2006 8:19 AM
  • Oh yeah, we all know the schedule. Yeah right.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:07 AM