total investment cost RRS feed

• Question

• I am not referring to the cost that MsMoney displays in its reports, which includes the cost of shares obtained via reinvested dividends.

I would like to know if there is any way for MsMoney (I have MsMoney 2006) to display the total amount that has been entered for an investment as a BUY activity.

Thus I am looking to find if MsMoney would be able to tell me what the gain is from what I invested as opposed to the taxable gain which is based on how much your current shares cost.

Thanks

Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:05 AM

All replies

• I suggest you use the Portfolio. Investing->InvestingTools->Portfolio will get you there, but it
    is better to add Portfolio as a Shortcut to get you to the Portfolio in a single click.

In the Portfolio view, click "See a different view" on the left.
    There you can Customize a view to include various choices of data.
    Some will appeal to you more than others.

ChangePortfolioView->CustomizeCurrentView->PortfolioColumns

I suggest the CostBasis column to see what you paid for your current holdings of a security. The Appreciation column tells the difference in what you paid vs the current value, to the extent that Money knows that value. The Gain column is similar, except it includes dividends. There are other useful column-- particulary the various TotalReturn columns for various time periods.

Now if you are looking for something else, what do you want to see? Suppose you bought 100 xyz @ $10 per share and later  bought 50 more shares @$11 per share? Are you just looking to see $1550 for xyz displayed or what? I am not sure what distinction you are making  for gain, unless you are asking for the gain for things you still hold vs the capital gain for what you already sold.

Anyway, Portfolio is the thing to use generally.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:50 AM
  • Thank you very much for your reply.  In the 16 years I've used MsMoney I have not made use of the Portfolio Manager.  I have simply used the Account List and Reports.

Actually the two columns I wanted, rather than CostBasis, since CostBasis is part of the Reports, are Purchases and Sales.    Market Value - (Purchases - Sales) gives me the absolute gain I am looking for (ignoring taxes).

Thank you.

Burce Kauffman

Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:11 PM