use of WHS beyond add-ins RRS feed

• Question

• My beloved Windows Home Serve 2003, a repurposed HP dc5700, just died after a lightning storm (luckily the disks were spared).  I'm planning to build a 64-bit machine with OEM WHS 2011 but wonder if it will be as flexible as WHS 2003.  This may offend some people, but rather than using WHS as a file server, I’m looking for a robust home server and used WHS 2003 basically as a Windows 2003 Server without problems. 

It drove my entertainment center directly connecting media shares and internet streaming to the stereo and TV with wireless mouse and keyboard for browsing; hosted VMware virtual Ubuntu machines, Oracle and SQL Server installations, webcams with motion detectors for home security, a web server, MS Office, Quicken and audio / video editing tools.  Only iTunes required tweaking to circumvent O.S. requirements. 

Does WHS 2011 enforce restrictions against using it as a Windows 2008 server?  Will it impede general software installations or prevent hardware like a solid state hard drive and a video graphics card for gaming due to limited drivers?

Thank you for sharing any experiences of operating system constraints under WHS 2011.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:24 AM

Answers

• I think as long as you keep in mind that WHS 2011 is a server o/s and not a desktop you will be ok.

The 2011 o/s should be a little more hardware/driver freindly with current hardware.

Where most people run into trouble is running a server o/s out of design of the manufactorer.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:20 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:48 PM
  • You might consider SBS 2011 Essentials as a better basic server for the types of things you want to do. Home Server 2011 may handicap you a bit.

Steve

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:49 PM

All replies

• I think as long as you keep in mind that WHS 2011 is a server o/s and not a desktop you will be ok.

The 2011 o/s should be a little more hardware/driver freindly with current hardware.

Where most people run into trouble is running a server o/s out of design of the manufactorer.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:48 PM
  • You might consider SBS 2011 Essentials as a better basic server for the types of things you want to do. Home Server 2011 may handicap you a bit.

Steve

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:49 PM