Hub management gets messed up after taking hub (laptop) to work and home again RRS feed

• Question

• I use my laptop to manage my onecare circle. I go to work for a week at a time. When I come home and reconnect to my home network and check the status of my circle it isn't working correctly. Everytime I do this I have to uninstall onecare, reinstall it, and then make the laptop the hub again. Then I have to do the same ot my other onecare pc's in the house except I don't make them the hub. This is annoying. Tech support isn't any help. They just don't get it. It's like me speaking english and they are speaking India language. They don't understand the concept of the problem. For now I have stopped making my laptop the hub ... obvioulsy it tries to communicate to my circle from my work that has a super firewall and somehow this messes it up. Interestingly though while at work my laptop\hub says it has communicated with my circle. A simple call to the house shows this isn't true via the tuneup date status.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:34 AM

Answers

• I suggest trying the following:

When you are away from your local LAN and the laptop that is the hub will be behind a firewall that restricts all communications that OneCare needs to make (OneCare does not work behind an authenticated proxy and your firewall at work may also be blocking the basic ports needed for communication to the servers for both updates and the status check), open OneCare on the laptop and change it to not be a hub. At work, when connected, click Check for Updates to see if it can communicate with the servers. Note that when OneCare is a hub and not connected to the local LAN, it does appear to keep trying to reach the Circle PCs directly, but will fail, so it needs to get the status via the OneCare servers. Each PC, when connected, sends a heartbeat to the servers throughout the day, and the Hub PC will see the latest heartbeat information when it sends its own heartbeat to the servers and receives the status of the other PCs back. This exchange of data can take a few hours.

I think that making the laptop *not* be a hub when you know it can't communicate with the other PCs in the Circle directly is the wisest solution. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd ever make the traveling laptop a hub and I'd relegate that duty to another PC in the house, if desired. If you have configured Centralized backup and the hub is off network, the backup can't be performed for the other PCs. Other than Centralized backup, the hub functionality is pretty limited, other than annoying you about a situation you can't correct remotely, in my opinion. If the hub is local, you can at least take care of the problem on the monitored PC if the fix is more that triggering the firewall or a/v to be turned on if someone in the house decided to turn it off on the monitored PC.

When you return home, make it a hub once again, *after* you have clicked Check for Updates in OneCare and confirmed that the laptop can communicate with the server and is up to date.

You absolutely should not be reinstalling OneCare every time in order to set things straight. Not only is that a pain, but you will likely run into a limit of activations that does not relate to the 3 concurrent PCs, but is a counter of total activations.

What I think we really need is server based Hub information for your account. In other words, you should be able to log in at the member site with your subscription LiveID to see the same information you can see in the panel for your Circle on the hub and have the same options that are currently available - remove a PC, turn on a/v or firewall if off, and even more, such as execute a Tune-up or schedule one and execute a scan immediately from the member site. Then, when any monitored PC sends the next heartbeat, the PC will receive your instructions.

-steve

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:03 PM

All replies

• I suggest trying the following:

When you are away from your local LAN and the laptop that is the hub will be behind a firewall that restricts all communications that OneCare needs to make (OneCare does not work behind an authenticated proxy and your firewall at work may also be blocking the basic ports needed for communication to the servers for both updates and the status check), open OneCare on the laptop and change it to not be a hub. At work, when connected, click Check for Updates to see if it can communicate with the servers. Note that when OneCare is a hub and not connected to the local LAN, it does appear to keep trying to reach the Circle PCs directly, but will fail, so it needs to get the status via the OneCare servers. Each PC, when connected, sends a heartbeat to the servers throughout the day, and the Hub PC will see the latest heartbeat information when it sends its own heartbeat to the servers and receives the status of the other PCs back. This exchange of data can take a few hours.

I think that making the laptop *not* be a hub when you know it can't communicate with the other PCs in the Circle directly is the wisest solution. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd ever make the traveling laptop a hub and I'd relegate that duty to another PC in the house, if desired. If you have configured Centralized backup and the hub is off network, the backup can't be performed for the other PCs. Other than Centralized backup, the hub functionality is pretty limited, other than annoying you about a situation you can't correct remotely, in my opinion. If the hub is local, you can at least take care of the problem on the monitored PC if the fix is more that triggering the firewall or a/v to be turned on if someone in the house decided to turn it off on the monitored PC.

When you return home, make it a hub once again, *after* you have clicked Check for Updates in OneCare and confirmed that the laptop can communicate with the server and is up to date.

You absolutely should not be reinstalling OneCare every time in order to set things straight. Not only is that a pain, but you will likely run into a limit of activations that does not relate to the 3 concurrent PCs, but is a counter of total activations.

What I think we really need is server based Hub information for your account. In other words, you should be able to log in at the member site with your subscription LiveID to see the same information you can see in the panel for your Circle on the hub and have the same options that are currently available - remove a PC, turn on a/v or firewall if off, and even more, such as execute a Tune-up or schedule one and execute a scan immediately from the member site. Then, when any monitored PC sends the next heartbeat, the PC will receive your instructions.

-steve

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply and good information.

Yes I can communicate with the server from work ... I get the usual updates and do scans daily. I have an unusal job where I go to work for a week at a time and even sleep there; long story.

I will do as you suggest and make it a hub while at home as this is the PC (my laptop) that I use in my office. When I leave for work I will first change its status back to not being the hub instead of installing and uninstalling everytime; I haven't done this procedure yet but I'm sure it is simple to do.

I hope I have understood everything correctly. If like you said you can do something with the server setup to make my laptop still work as a hub while I am gone please let me know how to proceed. It is nice to know my home PC's are all ok while my family is using them ... they don't know much about PC's. In the mean time I will have to fly blind.

It is nice to know there is someone out there who knows this system. Tech support is excellent at taking calls and followup. They are just short in the same areas all tech supports seem to be, that is there is a huge gap between the Engineers who write these programs and the field support techs if you can call them that. They read canned messages and try their best, but usually it eats up my cell phone minutes just to get nowhere on any and all issues.

Thanks for your help,

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:42 PM
  • You're welcome and let us know how it works out the next time you are at work for a week.

In theory, the laptop should still be able to remain a hub while you are away. I'll be seeing how this works myself when I am away from home for a week next month with my laptop that is a hub for a Circle.

My suggestion is a workaround, but doesn't explain what is confusing your hub when it is off the LAN and then comes back to the LAN. In fact, you may still run into a problem upon enabling the hub functionality on your return, so I'll be interested to hear how it works for you.

-steve

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:50 PM