Unable to chkdsk booting from dvd no option to reinstall... RRS feed

• Question

• After 8+ years of WHS it finally decided to throw in the towel.

I am unable to load safemode, the last file that attempted to load was atpitabl.dat

made a ultimatebootcd4win using xp (not 2003), when loading the tool for chkdsk it says that c: is corrupt and unreadable.

I decide to see if I have the option for a server re install, but was only presented with new install, selecting the original 20gb partition.

The only drive in the system was the system drive at the time.

Do I need to hook all drives and load drivers for the sata 6gb card I have for my larger drives?

Also do I have to have the drives hooked up in the order (same ports) they were b4 I started messing with it?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:16 AM

All replies

• I hooked up all my drives, not in the same order, but they are all listed.

Decided to see if I get the reinstall option but still only new install.

The original system drive is disk 0, however the original system 20 GB partition is listed as Raw (not ntfs, like the others)

not really sure why, cause WHS still tried to load even though it reboots upon trying to load atpitabl.dat, so there MUST be a semi readable bootable OS for it to attempt to load no?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:02 AM
  • Is my only option to copy all files from the DE folder to a new server ?
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:02 AM
  • There are a number of articles in the FAQ section of this Forum that may help you.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:21 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I seen 1 item in the faq in regards to recovering data, I did come across this in other threads, But I guess what Im asking is even though the OS does attempt to boot, and chkdsk is unable to run as it says it is corrupt, should I continue to try and reinstall this OS, or just install another os and manually transfer data.

Friday, March 14, 2014 7:39 AM
  • I would do a new installation, having copied your essential data to somewhere safe just in case.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, March 14, 2014 8:07 PM