Replacing WHSv1 with WHS 2011 with the same name. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

hope you can sort something out for me. I am planning to migrate to WHS 2011 and I am currently aquainting myself with it on a VirtualBox platform. I intend to await a release version of DrivePool before I make the final leap as this seems to be the best option for me as a DE replacement.

I have thousands of files linked to media catalogs (Collectorz) using UNC addresses. So I need (or strongly prefer) to have the same servername om my new WHS server. I am just not clear on what this will imply.

I expect that I will have to get rid of all traces (apart from in my catalog links) of the old servername before installing the new with the same name? Or not? Where will I find these traces that need to be removed?

I suspect that I cannot change a servername, nor have two with the same name on the same network, so my WHSv1 is gone.

What to do with the 15 drives? I can mount them, one by one, on an eSATA device on a desktop and copy files and folders to the server. A week should do it. Or is there a better way? Like on the v1 copying the drive to the shares before adding it to the pool. Is this a way, in 2011 native mode or using DrivePool? (I know that this is not a CoveCube forum, but I take the chance).

Thank you.

Monday, November 7, 2011 2:04 PM

Answers

• ... what happens when I install my second server with the same name. ...

Shut down server A, boot up server B. The switchover will be seamless, assuming the same content on both servers, in shares of the same name, with permissions set identically. If you try to have two servers on your home network with the same name at the same time, you'll run into issues.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:41 AM

All replies

• If you plan to replace your server, you should be okay as long as you match both the server name and share name(s).

As for moving your data, one disk at a time is going to be your only real choice. Also, bear in mind that backing up the data in server storage, if you're using a drive pooling add-in, is going to be difficult. Server backup in the dashboard won't attempt to back up anything on a disk that's > 2 TB, and won't back up multiple disks if they total more than 2 TB either. So if you want to back your data up, you will have to set up multiple backups using the tools available on the server desktop.

Monday, November 7, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Pest or cholera? Keeping a share outside the pool gives me no duplication. Keeping it in gives me no backup.

"..you should be okey..". I'm not sure what is OK. What I am worried about is what happens when I install my second server with the same name. What precautions/preparations should be made.Will there be traces from my old installation (in the clients, network) messing up the new?

Monday, November 7, 2011 8:32 PM
  • ... what happens when I install my second server with the same name. ...

Shut down server A, boot up server B. The switchover will be seamless, assuming the same content on both servers, in shares of the same name, with permissions set identically. If you try to have two servers on your home network with the same name at the same time, you'll run into issues.
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:41 AM