WHS-2011 and Dynamic drives? RRS feed

• Question

• It's my understanding that whs 2011 can't restore client computers dynamic drive: I assume it can't create a dynamic drive format, but can it restore just the data files on client computers if the drives were pre-formatted?

My 2nd question has to do with the server itself and dynamic drives for server storage: my whs 2011 was down with bad power-supply for about 5 yrs, then I replaced it and at the same time I took all my leftover drives and installed them (9 total: 7 ea plus original boot drive & server backup drive): Now I think would be a good time to create dynamic drive pools, but can the server see these dynamic volumes when restoring itself after boot drive failure? Boot drive is simple partition 1 tb... I plan on having a dynamic pool for server backups and another dynamic pool for client backups with a 3rd pool for file storage using another brand of drive pooling software...

Thanks for any conversation about this topic...

Sunday, February 16, 2020 10:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>For client computer backup/restore on WHS, backing up dynamics disk is not supported, neither for restore. 

>WHS 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2, question about disk/storage is not WHS specific, I would recommend you to post on Windows Server – Storage forum and relate product expert may provide you more information:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverfiles&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 17, 2020 4:14 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang   

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 2:03 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, February 21, 2020 2:15 AM