Network Issues RRS feed

• General discussion

• I added a large folder from my work PC to mesh yesterday and very quickly had our systems guys at my desk asking me why my PC was killing our network.

Is this to be expected? Will mesh take everything available and some?

Thanks,
    Donal
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:30 AM

All replies

• I have a very similar thing happening with our wireless network.

On our wireless network we have 3 laptops.  I was invited to Live Mesh the other day, downloaded and installed the client.  Since I'm visiting i just have the laptop I'm using in my Mesh, but I added a folder I use to keep files I've downloaded to my Mesh.

While synchronizing my own PC has contention issues.  I get messages from my applications that they can't communicate with the servers (Outlook, voice over IP client, Pandora frequently pauses and rebuffers the stream).

The other wireless devices become virtually unusable during the upload.

I've used other applications to upload a large amount of data... photo upload tools, FTP clients, and I've generally not run into an issue where the upload makes the wireless this unusable.

I tried letting it run at night in order to finish the upload, but it doesn't appear to sync unless I'm active on the computer.

I can provide packet traces if it would be useful.

Art

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Hi Art,

Another member of our team would like to take you up on your offer to provide packet traces.  He suggested downloading netmon3 and using it to record network traffic at a time when you think that Live Mesh is swamping your network.  Then you can send that file (it might be quite large) to lmprev@microsoft.com, and include a note about this issue.  If you're still willing to do this, we'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:00 PM