none
Which is better? External HD or Shared Folder? RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of weeks ago I lost my 9 mo old external drive (WD 1TB eSATA) which was full of recorded TV programs (925gb).  I have now purchased a Samsung Spinrite 1TB drive to replace it.  Should I add it to the storage pool as an internal drive and start replacing the TV series one at a time as a shared folder or install it with eSATA as an externl drive as before?  My thoughts are that the internal storage has folder duplication but the external additional drive will not.  Any thoughts before I get too far into replacing these TV series would be much appreciated.
    Ted
    • Edited by TMG01 Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:31 PM
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:31 PM

Answers

• A couple of weeks ago I lost my 9 mo old external drive (WD 1TB eSATA) which was full of recorded TV programs (925gb).  I have now purchased a Samsung Spinrite 1TB drive to replace it.  Should I add it to the storage pool as an internal drive and start replacing the TV series one at a time as a shared folder or install it with eSATA as an externl drive as before?

FYI, Connecting a drive to the server but using it outside the scope of WHS is unsupported.

My thoughts are that the internal storage has folder duplication but the external additional drive will not.  Any thoughts before I get too far into replacing these TV series would be much appreciated.
    Ted
    It doesn't matter whether the drive is internal or external.  It matters only if you add the drive to the storage pool or not.  My advice is to add the drive to the storage pool and let WHS do its job. :)
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:46 PM

All replies

• A couple of weeks ago I lost my 9 mo old external drive (WD 1TB eSATA) which was full of recorded TV programs (925gb).  I have now purchased a Samsung Spinrite 1TB drive to replace it.  Should I add it to the storage pool as an internal drive and start replacing the TV series one at a time as a shared folder or install it with eSATA as an externl drive as before?

FYI, Connecting a drive to the server but using it outside the scope of WHS is unsupported.

My thoughts are that the internal storage has folder duplication but the external additional drive will not.  Any thoughts before I get too far into replacing these TV series would be much appreciated.
    Ted
    It doesn't matter whether the drive is internal or external.  It matters only if you add the drive to the storage pool or not.  My advice is to add the drive to the storage pool and let WHS do its job. :)
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Kinda my thoughts at the moment too!  Thanks!
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:43 PM